The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Replacement Boat Guages?! (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/907-replacement-boat-guages.html)

CameronBrian2120 03-31-2008 03:20 PM

Replacement Boat Guages?!

I have a 96 Mariah Shabah 180 and my oil pressure gauge and speedometer quit working, I was looking into replacing all the gauges, giving the boat a fresher look. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to start? Also, I've been trying to trace the speedometer wires and cannot see where they go, does a boat just use a "spinner" sensor somewhere by the outdrive?

indykoch 03-31-2008 03:51 PM

Check eBay under a search for "Mariah". A seller named GreatLakesSkipper has a few of the gauges. Of course, that's only if you would prefer keeping it "original". Otherwise, any marine center would have replacement gauges. They are a standard size and pretty easy to install.

Chances are, your speedometer line is plugged or disconnected. Check the outdrive, just above the nose cone for a tiny hole. Make sure there's nothing plugging it (I've taken a drill bit and turned it by hand to get any grime out of there). Then check just above that for the tube. It should be connected to a plug securely. I've also had to unplug from the speedometer, then blow through the tube to be sure nothing is clogging it.

aquaknot 03-31-2008 03:51 PM

My boat uses faria gauges. They replaced one for me last year, and were able to save the mariah background. Just follow the warranty instructions at faria-instruments.com

CameronBrian2120 03-31-2008 04:07 PM

Awesome, I'll check for the speedometer. I did see that seller, he has some nice gauges sets that I;m looking at as well :) thanks for the help guys.

mikeyt 03-31-2008 04:10 PM

I read this post after i responded to your other post about the blowers. I have the same boat but unfortunately mine is in storage for a while yet. Hmmm...i'm wondering now if the two problems (dash gauges stop working / blower wont shut off) are related. The blower situation sounds like a short circuit where an always live wire is touching the power wire to the blowers. Before you go out & spend money on the gauge replacement i would resolve the blower issue first. One may just 'fix' the other.

Again, we do have wiring diagrams / manuals etc available to contributing members. Click on "donate" above and all will be explained.

ShabahZ280 03-31-2008 04:50 PM

Cameron, my speedo wasn't working when I got mine. Found out that it had melted, so I had the dealer repair it, which was just a simple hose line run the dash that ended up costing me $120. The pickup for the speedos can get clogged, and mine does quite a bit on the river during higher waters. The drill bit trick works, you can also use a bent coat hanger or a small nail to clean the hole out. The good news is, I'm pretty close to you, so before you do anything drastic like replacing the gauges, drop me a line and maybe I could come help you diagnose things a bit.

and mikeyt, I believe you've got him mixed up with Roger Butterfield.

CameronBrian2120 03-31-2008 06:08 PM

Sweet, I'll give the drill bit a try and see where I get, if no luck, I'll hit you up! Thanks man! ;)

WetWilly 03-31-2008 07:34 PM

This maybe a long shot, but Faria gauges have a limited Life time warranty so it wouldn't hurt to try and file a claim. Click Here.

They also have a quick tip/trouble shooting guide that might be useful.
Click Here.

Good luck,
WetWilly

mikeyt 03-31-2008 09:00 PM

ooops....:shakehead:

CameronBrian2120 04-01-2008 03:20 PM

Anyone have detailed instructions on locating the speedo hole or plug by the out-drive? I can;t seem to find it to inspect and clean it out. Thanks!