The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   drive unit u-joint rust? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/9032-drive-unit-u-joint-rust.html)

mikeyt 02-05-2014 09:21 PM

Re: drive unit u-joint rust?

While you have got it apart you might as well replace things like the u-joint and the gimbal bearing. Better than pulling it apart again in a year or two to do the same thing....

Txtruckerpaul 02-05-2014 11:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Snapped a couple of more pics, looking into the rear of the gimbal housing. doesnt look to good to me, what do ya'll think. I did take her out on the water a few months back and heard no funny noises such as whining, clunking or anything bad like that, not even on the sharp turns or at different speeds

ColoradoDiablo 02-06-2014 12:09 AM

That is a wreck waiting to happen Paul.:eek_animated:
Need to change out that bearing for sure in my opinion.
Just a matter of time til it grenades!
Change the boot too , you're already half way there.:wink_thumbup:

Txtruckerpaul 02-06-2014 12:18 AM

thats what i was afraid of, but wanted to get advice from someone thats been there. isnt it supposed to be clean in there? i would think so. Thanks Larry, for your help. hope to have this thing ready by spring. It'll have new upolstery, carpet, wiring, and a screwed up gimbal bearing. lol

ColoradoDiablo 02-06-2014 12:30 AM

Yes , it definitely should be clean. A little grime is acceptable , along with a bit of grease from greasing the gimble bearing. Rust/corrosion is second only to water when it comes to bad things happening with anything having to do with bearings.:(
You got time , as long as the wallet holds out for a bit longer.:wink_thumbup:

Txtruckerpaul 02-06-2014 12:39 AM

yes, the wallet is going to be barking pretty good after this project is done!

Motoxxx43 02-06-2014 02:34 AM

Its always something! Thankfully it is a fairly easy fix! Better to find that stuff now than in the heat of the season.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Txtruckerpaul 02-06-2014 02:50 AM

This is true, motoxxx! Downtime in summertime is disappointing! Think I'll just have my boat shop install a new one. By the time I bought parts and bought the tools to do it, it would cost just a little less than having a mechanic do it that knows what he's doing

Motoxxx43 02-06-2014 02:57 AM

That's not a bad idea to have a shop check it out. I wouldn't have tackled that stuff but my old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

sabujoseph 03-16-2018 03:15 AM

hi
i have removed out drive alpha one of 1993 mariah inboard boat for replacing gimbal bearing and seal assembly,boots etc.
removed old bearing and put back new bearing
do i need any special tool to align spline shaft to bore.
i need advice on it. any link to see that please.
thanks