Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Inverter Generators?

Original Mariah Talk

Old 10-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

JAlderman1 is currently offline
My Year: 1998
My Model: Z260
My Engine: 5.7L Bravo III
Gallery Images: 0

Send JAlderman1:
a Private Message

Default Inverter Generators?

I am contemplating installing an "inverter generator" in my 1998 Z260. "Inverter generators" have come down a lot in price. A 6kw "silent" model with Pure Sine output can be had for around $2,000.00

This setup would presumably allow me to run all appliances on my boat, including A/C, without having to run my main engine, which is a 5.7 Ltr short block marine chevy connected to a Bravo III dual prop outdrive, both of which I just installed.

As best I can tell, the two advantages the "inverter generator" seems to have over conventional generators are (1) pure sine power output, which is more efficient and better suited for electronics, and (2) the generator engine can run at variable speeds (unlike a conventional generator), thus running quieter during "low-load" situations.

My plan is to (a) put the generator in the space currently occupied by my Atwater hot water heater in the engine compartment (and go to an "instant" hot water on demand system), (b) pipe the generator exhaust to my existing exhaust (or possibly a new thru hull fitting), (c) supply gas to the generator by drawing fuel directly from the Boat's fuel tank (which may require a fuel pump of some kind - I'm not sure at this point).

Even with an "inverter generator", a regular inverter seems appropriate for those low-power uses where running the generator is not desirable. The nice thing about the generator though is that it will "switch on" automatically if the inverter draws the battery power down too low, thereby running a battery charger. It will then recharge the batteries and then shut off. Sweeeet.

Thoughts? Feedback? Opinions? Recommendations? Seems like a "no brainer" (except of course for the expense...) Consider me a bit of a rookie, so don't hesitate to throw out anything and everything, assuming I know little to nothing...

By the way, what an awesome forum and resource this site is. I have learned SO MUCH here, so i wanted to throw this out there in case I am about to step on my ----.
  • Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Inverter Generators?

Can you post some more info on this "inverter generator"? Is it a marine specific generator or a household generator? If it's not a true marine version, I'd stay away. Yes, we all know anything with "marine" in it is more expensive, but there's a reason for it. Its SAFE to use in a marine environment.

If you want the ability to run your AC shorepower items while underway, I'd consider either installing a full out marine generator by Kohler or Westerbeke, or install an engine-powered inverter system. If you're concerned about noise of the generator running, then buy a generator with a sound shield. I have one on my Z280, and while yes, you definitely know it's running, you can actually carry on a conversation at normal levels both inside and outside of the cabin. You can purchase them new, used, or even rebuilt, but you're looking at about $2-3k for a used/rebuilt, and around $7-9k for a new one. I don't know much about inverters, so I can't speak on those, but I know some of our members have them.

Wiring may be an issue to integrate into your existing shorepower panel, but I'm sure it can be done. However, you're working with some serious voltage, so have a marine electrician do it, or have him review it before firing it up for the first time. 6kw is quite a jolt.

As for exhaust, you will need to do a thru hull. You'll also need to do a waterlock exhaust, which prevents water from back flowing into the genset. The last thing you want is exhaust and CO building up in your engine bay and making it's way into the cabin. Carbon monoxide is called "the silent killer". I don't really want anyone to find out why.

It's an interesting idea, but sounds like a pretty expensive project. How much time are you planning on using your electrical items without being tied into the shoreline?
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 10-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

luke7575 is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: z302 Shaba
    My Engine: 7.4l Volvo Penta Duop

Send luke7575:
    a Private Message

i would also like to know more info on this subscribed
    Old 10-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #4

Send JAlderman1:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the interest. There are several models, but Honda seems to be a decent one from what research I have done.

Honda 3,000 Watt Inverter Generator (50 state model)EU3000IS
    Old 10-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #5

Send JAlderman1:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the feedback and the good advice. So far I installed a new engine (5.7L), a new outdrive (Bravo III with 2.0 ratio and dual props), brand new interior inside and out, new radios, and a new inverter... It's now a pretty cherry Z260... As for how much time I will spend on it, we often do entire day trips at an offshore island with no services available, so having A/C throughout the day is a nice feature... a generator would allow us that luxury... and although I am in the early stages of research an "inverter generator" seems to be a lot quieter, more fuel efficient, etc. , and pretty darn affordable ($2,000 for a 3,000 watt model) and I have found some 5,000 watt models for close to that as well...
    Thank you JAlderman1 for this useful post!
    Jwood (10-12-2013)
    Old 10-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #6

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Well, that's definitely not a marine generator. I would not consider this an option. Seriously.

This can be argued until everyone's tired of hearing it, and you can research this on google and find quite a few people who DO use these as their onboard generators, mostly strapped to the swim platform. They're used for short periods of time, not continuous use. However, you can also find those who used them in other ways, and are now dead because of carbon monoxide. Even on Honda's website, it does not mention "Boats" as a recommended use for these portable generators, only RV's.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, I'm just trying to offer the advice to consider a used/rebuilt marine generator. Something that's ignition protected, water cooled, properly exhausted, and meant to work specifically inside a boat's engine compartment. I will be happy to refer you to the guy who rebuilt my Kohler generator, they specialize in used and rebuilt generators.

And if you just installed a new inverter, why not just use it to run the items with the engine running? The $3k you'd spend on the unsafe generator would sure buy a lot of gas to keep that 5.7L running, and keep everyone safe.

Safety or Affordability....The decision is ultimately yours. Just make sure your CO monitors are on and working properly!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 10-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #7

Send JAlderman1:
    a Private Message

Thanks Chris (Shabah Z280), that's exactly the type of input I am looking for. Sometimes what seems to be a simple, easy solution isn't, and that sounds like that's the case here.

You suggested that running the inverters and the engine might be a solution. Would the alternator put out enough power to recharge the batteries as fast as the air conditioner sucked the power from the battery bank? Also, wouldn't that mean that the inverter battery bank needed to be wired to the starter batteries?

Also, I would welcome the referral to whoever did your generator.
    Old 10-12-2013, 03:56 AM   #8

Motoxxx43 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Shabah 250
    My Engine: 7.4 MPI Bravo I
    Gallery Images: 11

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

CO poisoning is a real deal. This summer two people mysteriously "passed out" while sitting on a wake boat. They were hauled tail into a marina (where I saw them) and met with an ambulance. The two people spent a while in a hyperbaric camber.
    This was all due to running the stereo while the motor was at idle an they were moored in a cove. From what we heard from others in the cove they were not even there very long, as in it happened over a few min.

I could see a generator working great if it were on shore an you powered into it from a little bit of a distance. I considered this at Lake Powell personally.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
    Old 10-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #9

Send JAlderman1:
    a Private Message

Motoxxx, thanks for the input, and I agree wholeheartedly that Carbon Monoxide is nothing to fool around with. My installation of a generator of any kind would definitely be undertaken only with the utmost respect for safety, including being fully satisfied with the exhaust system, use of carbon monoxide alarms, etc. I'm also a bit familiar with the fatalities that resulted when certain boats expelled exhaust underwater, only to have swimmers die while hanging around the swim platform. So, your point is well taken!
    Old 10-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #10

Jgos929 is currently offline
    My Year: 1997
    My Model: 180SE Shabah
    My Engine: 4.3L Cobra

Send Jgos929:
    a Private Message

If the exhaust is somehow routed outside the boat I don't see any issues with using a regular inverter generator. I have buddy that uses a Honda EU2000i on his boat and it works great. He made an exhaust pipe for it and tapped into a cooler drain line to vent the exhaust outside.