Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Sad day - actually thinking of selling mine- long post (sorry)

Original Mariah Talk

Old 09-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #1

94z190talari is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1994
My Model: Z190 Talari
My Engine: 4.3LX
Gallery Images: 12

Send 94z190talari:
a Private Message

Unhappy Sad day - actually thinking of selling mine- long post (sorry)

Everytime I have entertained thoughts like this I would pull the cover off lower the boat lift and go for a cruise on the lake and that would end that! The boat is a 94 Z190 Talari with 271 hours and with all gauges, lights and controls working (except cigarette lighter (never used) and clock which does run but am unable to set it). 2 small dings in upholstery (back seat corner nicked by ice chest or maybe tackle box) and a ding on passenger side storage cover. Few scratched pinstripes from tying to dock and jet skiers deciding to do donuts in no wake zone.

Unfortunately it looks like this time I may go through with it. I just don't use it as much as I would like after spending over a year caring for wife with cancer and maintaining a job that would like you to work 70 hours a week even when you are at hospital with her. We lost that battle and I ended up quitting work a month later as I decided life was too short. After 3 months my 90 year old aunt who lives by herself in the country fell and broke her hip and I had to take care of her and her farm for a good part of a year before putting her in a nursing home because of dementia and I am having to look for a job which does not exist out there where she lives.

I went out yesterday and charged the battery and cranked it up and it still runs like a champ. Unfortunately the boat cover had come off since I last checked it at the marina and of course there was duck crap everywhere, dust, spider webs and dirt dobbers nests. Again I started getting this achey feeling that I could not sell this boat cause there are none like it for what it is worth and none of the numbers I see are what I consider acceptable for a boat of this quality (after cleanup) with 271 hours on engine and outdrive. I understand it is almost 20 years old but it has either been in dry storage or on a lift in the marina with custom cover on it.

I am taking it to car wash in morning to get it back to shiney condition and that will cause more confusion on what to do.

Confused in Texas!!!!!!!!
  • Old 09-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #2

Oregondunes is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Z302 Bow Rider
    My Engine: 7.4 bravo3
    Gallery Images: 36

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Sad day - actually thinking of selling mine- long post (sorry)

if you do, price it at what the top of the market will bear. that way if it does sell, you dont feel as if you gave it away.
    94z190talari likes this.
    Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Really sorry to hear about everything that's been happening in your life recently and i assume there is a bit of depression factoring into your decision to sell the boat. All good things come to an end sooner or later but this might be one you want to forget about for a while until the spirits lift a bit and your decision comes from the head rather than the heart.
    Old 09-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send 94z190talari:
    a Private Message

I have seen numbers as low as 5-6k in some of the books which would make me feel like I just had a prostate exam by a doctor that has huge fingers! I was thinking somewhere in the 9 to 10k with trailer. Not sure how realistic that is or if it is just my defense mechanism to selling it.

Did the initial cleanup this morning. Not sure that I didn't get wetter than the boat using the car wash sprayer in the interior. Gonna do some more spit shining later after it gets below 100 again. Soon as it dries the cover goes back on her. When I bought it originally the dealer left the trailerable cover in it (what a gift), but it has been on the boat in the slip (on lift) since I put it there in 1999 and has started ripping in spots like where the pins for the top are on the windshield and back around the rear of the boat. Still covers the interior which is the important part but I would not attempt to drive highway speeds with the cover anymore.
    Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

Oregondunes is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Z302 Bow Rider
    My Engine: 7.4 bravo3
    Gallery Images: 36

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 94z190talari View Post
    I have seen numbers as low as 5-6k in some of the books which would make me feel like I just had a prostate exam by a doctor that has huge fingers! I was thinking somewhere in the 9 to 10k with trailer. Not sure how realistic that is or if it is just my defense mechanism to selling it.

Did the initial cleanup this morning. Not sure that I didn't get wetter than the boat using the car wash sprayer in the interior. Gonna do some more spit shining later after it gets below 100 again. Soon as it dries the cover goes back on her. When I bought it originally the dealer left the trailerable cover in it (what a gift), but it has been on the boat in the slip (on lift) since I put it there in 1999 and has started ripping in spots like where the pins for the top are on the windshield and back around the rear of the boat. Still covers the interior which is the important part but I would not attempt to drive highway speeds with the cover anymore.
    Boats & snow machines. They are priced very cyclic in nature. Going into fall/winter, boat prices fall, spring/summer they are higher. Depending on what part of the country you are in.
    Old 09-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #6

Mariah1 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: Shabah Z198
    My Engine: 4.3 Alpha1
    Gallery Images: 9

Send Mariah1:
    a Private Message

Keep that boat. I just lost my Dad and the love of my life in 2010. That boat gives me piece and helps me get through lifes little ups and downs. Nothing like riding in a beautiful Mariah!
    Old 09-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #7

ColoradoDiablo is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1992
    My Model: Diablo 180 I/O
    My Engine: 4.3LX Alpha I
    Gallery Images: 16

Send ColoradoDiablo:
    a Private Message

Agree wholeheartedly with Mariah1 ,
    Keep her for at least a run or two in the spring , then decide if you are ready to move on to something new in your life.
    Quick decisions have a tendency to bite ya in the butt!
    Wish you and yours well either way!
    Old 09-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send 94z190talari:
    a Private Message

This decision hasn't come all of a sudden, it's been an internal struggle the last 4 years or more. Unfortunately may have to since after two years off work and another 3 1/2 years to early social security I have to find a job quick to entertain keeping her. That and the fact that I don't have a degree and most human resources dorks just throw away IT resumes with no degrees. Heck while I was still working for Dickies (15 years) I read the posting for IT Administrative Assistant position and they actually required a masters degree for that. So despite working in IT since 1975 it is a little harder to get the jobs because they can get the degreed folks young and cheaper than someone who has had so many years of steady income increase. Priced out of the market.

Add to that the fact I haven't actually looked for a job since 1988 when I took my previous job as a consultant. I was hired away from the consulting firm by Dickies (my most current work from 3/1997 to 11/2011).

Now they want all the network programming instead of the mainframes (AS/400 or I Series).
    Old 09-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #9

ColoradoDiablo is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1992
    My Model: Diablo 180 I/O
    My Engine: 4.3LX Alpha I
    Gallery Images: 16

Send ColoradoDiablo:
    a Private Message

I feel for you
    I , like you are in the "screwed" zone when it comes to jobs. I am 50 and sorta getting the hang of the electronics world.
    Times are tuff(as usual).
    Whatever you wind up doing 94............ I wish the best for you and yours.
    Boats come and go , but family is...... forever! Ya got to remember that no matter what.

Wishing you the best!!