The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Shouldn't have sold it... (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8674-shouldnt-have-sold.html)

nglauer 08-15-2013 05:08 AM

Shouldn't have sold it...

Welp... as soon as I sold our 01 Diablo I knew it was a mistake. Sooo unbeknownst to me the wife has been window shopping boats. She has found a few locally that she really likes, but me being the sane one for once has tried to talk some sense into her lol. I have a feeling we'll be back on the water within the next summer or two (assuming work, health, or a future mortgage doesn't take us on a crazy rollercoaster). The only thing I fear is that I will not find another Mariah within a reasonable distance.

I know I will be in trouble for asking this - but what is another great manufacturer(s) to consider outside of Mariah - in case we cannot locate something when the time comes?

When I initially started searching for a boat 4-5 years ago I looked at various 1995-2005 model year Chris Crafts, Baja's, Crownline's, Marada's, Glastron's and a few Wellcrafts. I know it's taboo to ask - but what are some suggestions you guys could give outside of Mariah? My preference is to end up with another Mariah - preferably one with a Cuddy and some other bells and whistles.

I would like something in the 20-28' range with a Cuddy, V8, a fairly open rear floor plan and a Captain's call exhaust system would be cool as well. My wife would also like a swim platform (but I would be willing to buy one for the right boat - if it doesn't cost me both legs). My goal is to stay in the 15-17,000 range MAX.

Just figured I would get some opinions before I find out my wife has committed us to a craigslist find lol.

Thanks,
Nick

blockp 08-15-2013 01:33 PM

Re: Shouldn't have sold it...

Hah, it seems that nobody wants to admit that they _might_ be ok with driving a different brand of boat :rolling_laugh:

I'll start... Crownline, Cobalt and newer FourWinns (95+) are all good riding, well thought out boats. If you're looking at 2003+, check out some of the Monterey models. Very good fit/finish and great use of the space inside of them.

theeasynine 08-15-2013 01:46 PM

I think the only other brand you might hear from the Mariah faithful would be Cobalt. That being said I like the newer Crownlines and Chaparrals.

mikeyt 08-15-2013 02:53 PM

Buy a Baylin** (sorry just couldnt say that word) and be done with it. ;)

woodward33 08-15-2013 04:05 PM

I second the Cobalt vote -- I've owned two Cobalts (both 250's) and two Mariahs (a 202 and my current Z302.) The craftmanship, fit & finish, durability, and customer service that Cobalt offers is unparalleled to any other boat manufacturer IN PRODUCTION TODAY. That being said, you may have trouble staying in your price range for a used Cobalt. Becuase of how well they are built, they hold on to their value.

If niether Cobalt nor Mariah were an option, I would look at Formula or a Four Winns. Formula does some real cool stuff with their layouts, and I think they're boats are built to last. IMO, Four Winns is a company that builds really solid boats that aren't priced outlandishly. I once had a guy in the business tell me that they spend very little on their advertising/marketing and try to let their quality do all the talking for them. Good "bang for your buck" in a Four Winns.

Good luck.

nglauer 08-15-2013 04:10 PM

I wouldn't mind going newer, but price will really dictate that. I also like the newer Seadoo and Yamaha jet boats - but the price and fear of future maintenance scares me. My wife also likes the idea of a deck boat, however I doubt a Jubilee could be located around here.

Thanks,
Nick

Andy b 08-15-2013 04:58 PM

In the UK, Monterey seem to have stepped into the market where the older original Mariah's left a gap.
There are other makes around but i would say that they are on par build quality wise.
If I was in the market for a newer boat I would definitely choose one over an SX Mariah.
Sorry SX guys but maybe the boats that got shipped over here just weren't the best ones!
It's the reason why I own a 2001 boat...

The Monterey M3 is a fantastic looking boat and if I was looking new it would be high up there on my list

nglauer 08-15-2013 05:19 PM

mikeyt - I don't plan on buying a Bayliner.... but if I did I would make sure it had a whale tail.. and a 3.0L just for you. I could christen it with the name "headache" in your honor lol

blockp 08-15-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nglauer (Post 48092)
mikeyt - I don't plan on buying a Bayliner.... but if I did I would make sure it had a whale tail.. and a 3.0L just for you. I could christen it with the name "headache" in your honor lol

I don't care who you are... ^^ that right there is funny stuff :worry_to_laugh:

Ahh, there it is! The Capri with a Force outboard and ALREADY has the whale tail installed! It's a win win.

mikeyt 08-15-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nglauer (Post 48092)

:rolling_laugh: