Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Looking for some advice on 3 battery system installed on a 268 MCC

Original Mariah Talk

Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

donly1 is currently offline
My Year: 2001
My Model: 268 MCC
My Engine: 5.7 350 MAG EFI Bravo3
Gallery Images: 13

Send donly1:
a Private Message

Default Looking for some advice on battery bank system installed on a 268 MCC deep cycle?

So here is my first thread for needing some help from you all. I read some info that my 2001 268 MCC has both ac and dc switches etc. I went to the boat while it was plugged into shore power on the starboard side this morning. I had the ac panel on, and just the fridge, and inverter/charger switch in the on position on the ac side. dc side off, and battery selector in the off position. I switched on the dc and only the cabin lights circuit, it was dark, the lights were very dim. (Am I doing this correctly? )
I measured the voltage, and found that battery #1 had 12.5 v, #2 had 12.2 v, and #3 deep cycle only 3.1 volts. I see my installation has all three batterys in parallel. the two individual battery chargers are Professional Mariner BAT SAVR 16watt 12v 13.4vdc connected to (I think) only to the two starting batteries, correct me if I'm wrong. I attached a photo of my installation. all the positives are going to some two individual blocks (blue in color not sure what they are) but the deep cycle positive going to a 40 red reset button. So if I understand this from another thread, I am suppose to be able to run cabin lights, radio, bilge etc (maybe other things, not sure) on the dc side of the panel while plugged into shore power, because a inverter/charger is being used from the deep cycle battery to power those things.
So do I have problem a with the inverter/charger (not even sure where that's located)?
Why is my deep cycle not being charged?
Is the battery (just a year old) needing a replacement?
Tons of questions, so little time, Does anyone have a battery wiring diagram?
Any help, advise, discussion is greatly appreciated..... MJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130806_084338_909.jpg (33.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg battery charger.jpg (18.4 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by donly1; 08-06-2013 at 09:44 PM.
  • Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Looking for some advice on 3 battery system installed on a 268 MCC

That seems a little strange. The way my Z280 is set up is one starting battery and two deep cycles. One runs the house system (fridge, cabin lights, fans, head, etc) and it's usually a group 27 large size. The other deep cycle battery runs the cockpit systems (outside lights, gauges, ignition, blowers, etc). The 1/2 battery switch outside in the cockpit is only for selecting which battery will be running the cockpit systems, where as the DC Main switch on the panel inside the cabin runs the house system.

I don't have an inverter, so I'm not sure how that's wired up. The purpose of the inverter is to be able to run your AC items off DC power. It combines all your DC voltage and converts it to produce 110V AC. For example if you wanted to run your microwave with no shore power hookup. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think this switch should be on at all times. You could potentially have a problem with this if it's been left on continuously. Again, hopefully someone with an inverter will chime in with more info. I've got a generator so unfortunately I'm not a lot of help here.

The blue blocks are the power distribution blocks associated with the battery switch in the cockpit.

Your deep cycle battery is obviously not being charged because something is wired up incorrectly. There's a few options you can do, one would be to remove the bat-savr's and install a new 3-bank battery charger. This will run you probably $150, but you'll have individual charger leads to each battery, and it will fully charge all 3 batteries whenever you turn the charger circuit on while connected to shorepower. Technically, your alternator should be charging the batteries while the engine is running as well. Or the other option would be to follow the bat-savr wiring and disconnect it from one of the starting batteries, and hook it up to the deep cycle.

Although it could possibly be a bad battery, check the water levels inside, if low, add distilled water, or pull it out and take it to Autozone and have it tested. Some batteries can go bad quickly if not wired correctly. So I would assume somewhere along the line, either that 3rd battery was added on, or the wiring got jumbled, so they just wired everything together. If you take your time and trace all the wires, (and make use of the wiring diagrams we have here in the Original Mariah Manuals & Supplements section), you'll most likely be able to sort it out. Just make sure once you get it sorted out, to take photos of how it's wired, so when it comes time to remove batteries for the winter, you know exactly how to hook everything back up in the spring!

Hope this helps!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 08-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #3

donly1 is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 268 MCC
    My Engine: 5.7 350 MAG EFI Bravo3
    Gallery Images: 13

Send donly1:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the info. Do you think the two bat-savr's are wired wrong, suppose to be: one on the 29 deep, and the other on one starting battery? Isn't the engine while running suppose to charger all three together? I don't think I have a inverter either. I checked the manuals section, but no luck on a wiring diagram. Does anyone have one for a three batt system? Any inputs on a properly wired system based on experience?
    Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #4

Hudson River Steve is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo3
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

MJ,
    My Z280MCC has the inverter option but it may be wired differently than your 268MCC.
    I have two group 24 starting batteries which are connected to the 1-2 battery switch. Either of these batteries runs the dc house system and/or can start the motor. The inverter is fed from a third, very heavy, Group 4D battery. This battery only powers the inverter. The 2.5kW inverter in my boat, which is located in a locker in the mid-cabin berth on the starboard side is dual purpose, it is an inverter to run the stove, microwave and outlets when not connected to shore power AND it is a battery charger to maintain the large Group 4D battery. There is a separate ON/OFF switch for this battery as well as a fuse. Make sure this switch is turned on. As you already indicated, on the AC panel, the Inverter/Charger breaker must be on for the big battery to charge. Attached is a link to an owners manual from my inverter, not sure if yours is the same. http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Dis...ner_manual.pdf

If you measured 3.1 volts on one of your batteries...it is toast and will need to be replaced. This also explains why the lights were so dim.
    Lastly, the alternator should charge all three batteries when the engine is running.