The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   1997 Z276 MCC verses 2010 G270 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8479-1997-z276-mcc-verses-2010-g270.html)

psu24039 07-14-2013 02:53 AM

1997 Z276 MCC verses 2010 G270

Sizing up a '97 Z276 MCC against a 2010 G270; The former is 1/2 the price and twice the hours of the latter.

Seeking insight to value the difference between pre-2001 engineering/construction with older mechanicals, and the sea fox era construction with new mechanicals.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ShabahZ280 07-15-2013 03:01 PM

Re: 1997 Z276 MCC verses 2010 G270

As an owner of a '99 Z280MCC (formerly called the Z276MCC), I can tell you it's built tough. Pre-'01 Mariah boats were built a bit different, using the highest quality products and top of the line manufacturing techniques of the day. However, as a result of this, their prices were considerably higher. There may be some heavy amount of truth in the "You get what you pay for" with the '90-'01 Mariahs. Just browse around the gallery and look at the board and see how well these boats have held up. Some of our members have boats over 20 years old that look like they just came off the factory floor. I will say that 1997 was the first model year for the Z276MCC, and it was Mariah's first luxury cruiser. The later models used the same hull and design but incorporated some different options and the Z280 remained in production until mid 2000-2001. There are many of them on the water today, and not many for sale, if that says anything.

Sea Fox's G270 is a good looking boat, there's no doubt about it. It is cosmetically styled more modern, and the cockpit layout is great for entertaining. Yes, Sea Fox did purchase Mariah's old molds, but they only purchased the molds up to 25ft, so this is not one of the Original Mariah molds. So it's a newer styled cruiser mold designed from the ground up by a company that primarily specializes in building fishing boats. Now, I will admit I've never seen a G270 cruiser in person, I'm primarily basing my comments on the photos I've seen. It is a good looking boat that looks to be modestly equipped with options, but without ever seeing one physically I can't speak for the build construction. If you browse the forum, you'll find some reviews and comments from Sea Fox Mariah owners about their boats. The G270 has been in production with Sea Fox since 2009, yet I have only seen about 3 of them listed for sale around the internet, and they've been the same boats for the last year or two. I've also never seen any on the water. I'm not sure how many were built or sold, or if they're even still producing them. This may be something to consider.

Ultimately the decision can only be made by you. Take a close look at them, do a sea trial for both, perhaps even have them surveyed by a professional marine surveyor, do some research around here, and then make your decision. If you have any questions feel free to ask! :wink_thumbup:

psu24039 07-15-2013 03:30 PM

Thanks Chris - you provided exactly the corroboration I was hoping to receive. Both vessels were placed in the water this morning for and I'll be inspecting them this afternoon. I'll report back with pics. btw - that's a nice looking Z280.

ShabahZ280 07-15-2013 03:50 PM

Thank you sir! :wink_thumbup:

Are you looking at "Six Split" by any chance? If so, she looked to be very clean from the pics. She had just been put up for sale when I started looking for mine last year. I remember them saying the boat was owned by the owner of the marina and it was very well taken care of.

Good luck and we'll all be looking forward to some pics and your report!