Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

This can only happen to me...

Original Mariah Talk

Old 06-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #1

SinfulDragon is currently offline
My Year: 1995
My Model: Barchetta 182
My Engine: 3.0L
Gallery Images: 0

Send SinfulDragon:
a Private Message

Default This can only happen to me...

I did it. I got my boat. MY BOAT! Oh what a boat she is, so stunning, I'm still working on the perfect name. Something with an Italian flare for sure.
Being a seasoned boating veteran (read, owned a 15', 70HP bass boat for one boating season) I obviously know what I'm doing.
Ok, I don't... but I know people and they do. I get a deal on a 95 Mariah Barchetta 182. Finally something that will actually fit the family! The first outing was exactly how it should have been. Just me and the Mrs to learn the boat. So blissfully uneventful (not actually true, had to phone a friend who explained how the choke worked. He told me how when I bought it but lets all keep in mind, I was much more entertained with the boat than anything that was being told to me). So fires up and away we go. fast, slow, tight turns, testing all the seat, sitting on the swimming platform, oh the kids were going to love it.
Fast forward a week, we are going to take the kids out with us. Everything as uneventful as before as I get in line at the ramp. This is always one of my favorite times. I'm in an 05 AWD Denali that holds the earth like a mountain goat with its aggressive A/T tires that are on it. Maybe I shouldn't have laughed at the little truck that almost went swimming in front of me, maybe I shouldn't have laughed at everyone trying to get up the ramp (is it a custom for everyone to floor it spinning the tires the whole way up or is that just my redneck part of the woods that people act this way?!?!) Anyway, onward!! its my turn now. Back her down.. NAILED IT! boat is floating so I hop out to get in the boat, get it off the trailer and tied to the dock. Problem #1 occurs right here. Jump in, I remember the choke this time slam in the key, turn it and notice I'm still holding the end of the key in my hand. yup, didn't have the key all the way in and just snapped it off in the ignition cylinder. $%@#*@!! Ok... ok, its not all bad. I'm at a marina after all, maybe they have a key and I never unhooked the front of the boat so I just crank her back up on the trailer. Marina has no Mariah keys. Actual quote “oh, you have a Mariah, no way do I even need to look, I know I don't have keys for her. Nice boat though”. Here's another interesting fact for you, master keys to all other popular boats do NOT work in a Mariah boat. Ok, I'll head to Ace/True Value/Etc to get a key made from the broken key as I was lucky enough to get the broken end out of the ignition.
Strap the boat the rest of the way down, thank the guys for letting me test keys and we're off to find an old guy that makes keys from broken keys.
1/4 mile from the marina I hear a loud POP and look back to see smoke rolling out of the trailer wheel well. Pull off to find the wheel well resting on a NOT blown tire. puzzled is all I am at this point. How does such a thing happen. Limp to a store for safer parking, burning up this tire the entire time at a solid 10MPH, wait for an hour for the brother in law to come to my rescue. We tool around with the issues and he climbs under the trailer. Broken leaf spring. not bent, not over flexed, broke in freaking half!! The luck here is that this happen on the back half of the spring so the front was able to keep the axle in line instead of either just letting the entire axle fall from under the trailer dropping the boat on the ground or even worse, pole vaulting the trailer in the air (I have to look at positives at this point or I'm going to explode!!!). So the brother comes up with actually a good idea, we jack up the trailer, take a hitch and turn that side into a solid axle setup by strapping the hitch between the axle and the frame, instead of a leaf setup. This actually worked well enough to get home with no further issues. I could literally cry at this point in time. I can't start my baby, and even if I could I can't get her to water.
In the time since, I did get a key made at a local hardware store that works PERFECTLY! not only that, I was able to contact Kennedy Marine (thanks to this site pointing me there) and get factory keys sent to me as well! The Mrs just smiled and said happy early fathers day.
I also got new leaf springs (stepped up a size from a 3 leaf setup to a 4 leaf setup with a bit higher load range) while that's apart we find that one side of the axle the bearings were destroyed, might as well replace both, tires are great looking on the outside but the inside are TORN UP, lets replace those too!! Its only money right?
My wife, what a sport she is. She has not griped, moaned, even given a glare. She is actually the one to keep pointing to the positives. God I love that woman.
Fast forward to yesterday, finally a break in the rain. Everything is flooded, its cold, its windy, but its not dropping tornadoes, hail, or inches of rain per hour... WE'RE GOING OUT ON THAT WATER!!!
Beautiful, just beautiful. Trailer ran like a champ, the new factory keys fit in (though I confess, I pressed it about 3 times to make sure it was 100% seated into the cylinder before turning it). The boat, it ran like a champ! Like I knew it would, like I knew it could. I couldn't stay out but about an hour. The kids were cold, the wife was cold, I was cold too... but the smile on my face was huge even if it had to be short lived.
  • Old 06-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

Oregondunes is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Z302 Bow Rider
    My Engine: 7.4 bravo3
    Gallery Images: 36

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Default Re: This can only happen to me...

Look up the word Volpe'
    Old 06-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

ColoradoDiablo is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1992
    My Model: Diablo 180 I/O
    My Engine: 4.3LX Alpha I
    Gallery Images: 16

Send ColoradoDiablo:
    a Private Message

Ahh...............welcome to the boating world!
    Glad you got things under control. Don't worry it's worth it!!
    My Diablo is the 4th boat I've had and the wife always reacts the same...............Not Another One!............That's til she's onboard , then it's nothing but grin ear to ear!!
    Boating is definately an "Aquired Taste". But it is one I don't know what I'd do without
    Old 06-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

rhinoz is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 6

Send rhinoz:
    a Private Message

From one new Mariah owner to another, welcome...I think I lucked out as I got 6 keys with mine (Thank Gawd) , including the original with the Mariah Shield on the key itself.

Look at it this way, at least you're over the hump

As for Italian names, try this place! Italian Female Names

Last edited by rhinoz; 06-03-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #5

Andy b is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: Diablo 180
    My Engine: Volvo 4.3gl/sx drive
    Gallery Images: 9

Send Andy b:
    a Private Message

I quite like "SinfulDragon" for the name
    Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #6

SinfulDragon is currently offline
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Barchetta 182
    My Engine: 3.0L

Send SinfulDragon:
    a Private Message

SinfulDragon was going to be the name originally, and may very well end up that way.
    Though Volpe (Fox) is a good one as well.
    Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinfulDragon View Post
    SinfulDragon was going to be the name originally, and may very well end up that way.
    Though Volpe (Fox) is a good one as well.
    When I was young (many years ago), my best friends step mom had that [Volpe'] on her 69 Shelby GT500 convertible. She was sooo hot too. I would ride around in that car all day with her just to occasionally catch a glimpse down her shirt, which she wore very loosely on purpose I think.
    woodward33 and Zackattack like this.
    Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #8

Andy b is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Diablo 180
    My Engine: Volvo 4.3gl/sx drive
    Gallery Images: 9

Send Andy b:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oregondunes View Post
    When I was young (many years ago), my best friends step mom had that [Volpe'] on her 69 Shelby GT500 convertible. She was sooo hot too. I would ride around in that car all day with her just to occasionally catch a glimpse down her shirt, which she wore very loosely on purpose I think.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #9

Find me on the Map

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andy b View Post

exactly
    Old 06-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #10

nglauer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I'm glad you mentioned something about "keys". I really need to buy a spare.. because I only have one. With my luck, i'd probably snap mine off and not be able to get it out for duplication.. or better yet.. just lose the whole damn thing lol. I thought someone on here used to sell Mariah keys with the logo's - perhaps they don't anymore.

Andy - does your Diablo key have the Mariah logo on it? mine is just a plain key, but it doesn't look like a store bought key.