The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   My Diablo's got a fat ass! (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/7621-my-diablos-got-fat-ass.html)

Andy b 11-21-2012 10:10 AM

My Diablo's got a fat ass!

As above really,
My 180 diablo is running a 4.3 Volvo GL/SX and drives very stern heavy, especially around the 6 knott speed. Which is a right pain as I’ve got a 4 mile pootle to open water where I am, with a 6 knott/no wash speed limit!
Now I was reading into smart tabs on here the other night and seem to remember somebody posted about the difference between the SX9510-60 and the SX9510-80. But I can't find the thread now :head_on_wall:
The thing is before I go and order up a set for my tub I’d like to ask if anyone has any experience with my setup and all advice would be gratefully received :wink_thumbup:
please don't shout at me if this has been done to death on here! just point me in the right direction

mikeyt 11-21-2012 03:30 PM

Re: My Diablo's got a fat ass!

Hi Andy,

The SX9510-60 is the correct tab for your boat. The 80# arms will be too stiff despite what the mfr says. Here's a link to the Nauticus website. It will help you with the install and give you a reasonably good idea on what they will do.

ColoradoDiablo 11-21-2012 04:17 PM

Hey Andy ,
Nothing rides well at idle/slow speeds. The larger the boat the better it sits in the water , but the Smart Tabs will help for sure. I found on my Diablo that it really made the boat run "straighter" thru the water(Less wander) at lower speeds.
They sure made it come out of hole quicker :) , and handle way better.
As Mikey stated, I installed the SX9510-60 tabs.

Andy b 11-21-2012 04:40 PM

This is my first Mariah,
always wanted one from back when I sat in one at the Southampton boat show.
But they don’t come along very often over here and waiting for the right one has been tough.

I would love to run some of the bigger stuff like you do over in the states but I trailer my boats and things are a little different in the UK for moving boats around on the roads!

I’ve had other boats in the past such as Sea Ray’s and Glastron’s (cough, cough!) but none of them sat on their stern like the Mariah does.
Don’t get me wrong I love my new boat, it’s just when traveling off the plane it digs a very big hole for an 18’ boat.
And to get it out of the hole you have to punch it then back off.
Maybe the 4.3lt is a bit heavy for it but I didn’t want another 3.0lt

ColoradoDiablo 11-21-2012 06:24 PM

Strange Andy.
I know this sounds a little obvious , but you don't have a issue with water in the ski locker or under the inspection plate for the fuel tank sending unit do ya? The drain holes for both like to get clogged up with junk.
Those Smart Tabs will definately help with getting out of the hole and staying on plane at a lower speed.
What prop are you running?

mikeyt 11-21-2012 06:50 PM

Maybe its just my imagination but i seem to remember someone else from across the big pond saying they had an 18ft Diablo that sat low in the water. I'm not sure i'll ever find that posting though.... :shakehead:

Andy b 11-21-2012 08:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I went through the same thought prosess myself!
The boat is dry stacked at the moment, and has been for the last couple of years so I doubt it’s waterlogged.
Everything below decks is bone dry, the covers are good and the upholstery is dry.
It doesn’t sit low in the water at rest, and below 4 knots it’s fine.
But that bit between 4 knots and planning is a case of just punching the throttle through it and then backing off once it’s over the hump.
If you try and build the speed gradually it just sits on its ass and all you can see is sky.

Now I know you guys don’t know me or my driving ability but it’s not down to trimming, even if it’s even slightly trimmed out the problem is worse.

As for the prop it's an old and seen better day 19 pitch ali prop, i've got a new ali 14-1/4 x 21, Michigan Wheel Match that i want to try on it as it's over reving at wot and trimmed out!

So it’s leg in throttle up and then back off when over the hump!

Just wish I could motor down the river at 6 knots without looking at the sky, upsetting the wafi with my wake, as they drink their gin and tonic on their yachts

here's a couple of pictures of it sat on the water

ColoradoDiablo 11-21-2012 08:35 PM

I won't promise you , but I'm 99.9% sure that the Smart Tabs will solve the problem.

Andy b 11-21-2012 08:42 PM

well i've ordered them tonight, i'l keep you posted :wink_thumbup:

mikeyt 11-21-2012 10:58 PM

Now i'm gettin' a serious case of 'deja vu all over again' (props to Yogi Berra) particularly with the pics of that boat.......

Andy b 11-22-2012 06:03 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 40309)
Now i'm gettin' a serious case of 'deja vu all over again' (props to Yogi Berra) particularly with the pics of that boat.......

do tell???
i bought the boat from a guy who had the boat about 6 months and only used it twice!
before that it was sold through southwater marine here in hamble.
I am planning on popping in there to see if i can get a bit more history on the boat at some point,
The pic's i've posted are from the Ebay add. there not pic's i've taken myself if that puts any doubts to rest!
I've got some that i took the other day that i'l stick up now

mikeyt 11-22-2012 06:27 PM

It may be that eBay was where i saw those pics and i'm simply confusing this boat with another one that someone complained about it having a soggy arse. Age & 'sometimers' kicks in once in a while at this end. ;)

m&mmariah 11-22-2012 10:45 PM

Yes, we have seen this boat before. It was orig posted on sept 30, 2011 by "ol1000"' with the title "new to Mariah--just got a 182". He was from Southampton, uk. Sorry I don''t know how to attach the post.

http://www.mariahownersclub.com/foru...got-182-a.html

mikeyt 11-23-2012 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m&mmariah (Post 40330)
Yes, we have seen this boat before. It was orig posted on sept 30, 2011 by "ol1000"' with the title "new to Mariah--just got a 182". He was from Southampton, uk. Sorry I don''t know how to attach the post.

http://www.mariahownersclub.com/foru...got-182-a.html

I KNEW i had seen this boat somewhere before! Thanks M&M!! :wink_thumbup:

Andy b 11-23-2012 04:35 PM

Hahahahaha! No wonder your suspicions were up. :cool:
This all fits in nicely with the stories I’ve been told and the guy’s name was Oliver so that fits too. :wink_thumbup:
Well now that’s been sorted and maybe my credibility has been restored I can continue to be a part of this exclusive club.

OH, and by the way he never did fix that sticky shifter!
when i went to buy it, it wouldn't go into gear ("well thats hever happened before!") hahaha!

mikeyt 11-23-2012 06:43 PM

Did he fix the trim indicator? That's a PITA job cuz it means removing the outdrive to run the wires.

Andy b 11-23-2012 07:02 PM

I did notice that it was a bit temperamental! As was the depth gauge. Oh yes and the tacho :head_on_wall:
I’m planning on getting it out of the stack over the next couple of weeks and bringing it home for a good once over, which I think it's long overdue! :rolleyes:
The boat is cosmetically in excellent condition. But I think it's not been looked after, not too say that it's been abused. Just not loved!

Andy b 11-26-2012 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well the toy box is filling up quick, spose i'd better make the effort and bring the boat home at some point :yes_grin:

Andy b 11-28-2012 05:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well i managed to get down to the boat stack today and get the boat lifted onto the trailer i bought for it,
Not a bad fit even if i do say so myself :yes_grin:
Nice quiet drive home before the traffic builds and she's now home. :wink_thumbup:
The evenings are dark here this time of year, so i'l probably have to wait till the weekend before i get to start giving the boat a good once over.
One things for sure, i'm going to have to do something with the graphic's! :wub:
all sugestions greatfully recieved...........

Oregondunes 11-28-2012 07:39 PM

it does fit nicely on it's chariot.

Andy b 11-28-2012 08:28 PM

The guy i bought it from must have thought i was mad!
I spent ages measuring it up before i handed over the money :rolling_laugh:
although it is adjustable on just about everything.
The boat sits a bit high for my liking at the moment but i can lower it by up to 6"
should also help when launching at the slipway (sorry, boat ramp)

mikeyt 11-28-2012 09:49 PM

Sitting high is always an issue with those roller bunk trailers but bringing them down 6" should help.

As for those colourful graphics......they wouldn't be my first choice either. :grin_wink:

Andy b 11-29-2012 05:02 PM

Can the graphics for Mariah's still be bought?
I’ve got a guy over here who can do a vinyl wrap if I want, or pretty much any design I like,
but what I would like is just a wavie checker flag and the Mariah logo and shield.

ColoradoDiablo 11-29-2012 05:08 PM

Here ya go Andy.
I and many others here have used Mike for graphics and decals. He is top notch and they are factory mariah.

http://www.mariahownersclub.com/foru...formation.html

Andy b 11-29-2012 05:19 PM

e-mail sent

ColoradoDiablo 11-29-2012 10:04 PM

I gotta know ,
What is the extension on the back of the trailer for?:confused:

ShabahZ280 11-30-2012 01:39 PM

My guess is some sort of "bumper" so the person behind doesn't plow straight into that shiny volvo outdrive! I recall seeing something like this on another european boat trailer once before.

ColoradoDiablo 11-30-2012 02:30 PM

Kinda be a pain going thru any sort of a dip. I wonder if they have a law of some type about "vehicle overhang maybe".
Andy , do you know?:wink_thumbup:

Andy b 11-30-2012 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo (Post 40430)
I gotta know ,
What is the extension on the back of the trailer for?:confused:

They are to carry the light board :wink_thumbup:
In the UK the lights are supposed to be at the furthest point rear on the trailer and load.
Although this is not always the case.
they do offer some "visual" protection to the leg but thats about all.
they wouldn't do much if some dorris was to drive into the back!

Andy b 12-01-2012 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So tonight i've been trying out ideas on photoshop for the new graphic's,
This is where i've got to so far.
The chap you put me on too so far has'nt got back to me so i may just go with my guy over here, but thanks anyway :wink_thumbup:
all thoughts welcomed

ColoradoDiablo 12-01-2012 08:11 PM

He is hard to get ahold of Andy. He just got thru moving not to long ago I understand , so maybe he hasn't caught up with things yet.
You mockup looks good , but I think they need to be larger :)

Andy b 12-01-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo (Post 40449)
but I think they need to be larger :)

But im just a reserved britt, i'm not like you brash yanks..... :closed_chuckle::closed_chuckle::closed_chuckle:

Andy b 12-01-2012 08:59 PM

Has anyone got a hi-res image of the Mariah shield?

ColoradoDiablo 12-01-2012 10:18 PM

PM sent

Andy b 12-02-2012 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not enough hours in the day at the moment, especially as it gets dark here at 4:30pm.
But I did make some progress today, the wind screen is fixed back in its rubbers and I got the tabs fitted.

Jgos929 12-05-2012 09:58 PM

I got a 180 Shabah with the Volvo 4.3L and Cobra drive and run the 80# tabs on mine and it gets on plane quick and steers well at low speeds. It came with 40# shocks on it when I bought it and I was experiencing what you are with slow speed wondering and not being able to get the front to come down while trying to cruise.

I called and spoke to a rep at Nauticus and the highly recommended the 80# shocks for my boat so thats what I went with.

Andy b 12-05-2012 10:01 PM

what prop are you running?

Jgos929 12-05-2012 10:06 PM

14.25" x 19" 4 blade aluminum

Andy b 12-05-2012 10:22 PM

the 4 blade prop seems to be the way for a lot of you guys in the states, i take it the primary reason for this is for towing toys.
not much call for that over here! you'll be hard pressed trying to find someone brave/stooopid enuff to be towed up and down the solent :shakehead:

i'm going to stick a 21x 14.1/4. 3 blade prop on and see how that goes
lets just hope i don't get to much bow lift :rolling_laugh:

Jgos929 12-05-2012 10:44 PM

I got my 4 blade for that exact reason and because I usually have 4-5 adults in it so I need all get up and go I can get.