The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   My Diablo's got a fat ass! (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/7621-my-diablos-got-fat-ass.html)

Andy b 11-21-2012 10:10 AM

My Diablo's got a fat ass!

As above really,
My 180 diablo is running a 4.3 Volvo GL/SX and drives very stern heavy, especially around the 6 knott speed. Which is a right pain as I’ve got a 4 mile pootle to open water where I am, with a 6 knott/no wash speed limit!
Now I was reading into smart tabs on here the other night and seem to remember somebody posted about the difference between the SX9510-60 and the SX9510-80. But I can't find the thread now :head_on_wall:
The thing is before I go and order up a set for my tub I’d like to ask if anyone has any experience with my setup and all advice would be gratefully received :wink_thumbup:
please don't shout at me if this has been done to death on here! just point me in the right direction

mikeyt 11-21-2012 03:30 PM

Re: My Diablo's got a fat ass!

Hi Andy,

The SX9510-60 is the correct tab for your boat. The 80# arms will be too stiff despite what the mfr says. Here's a link to the Nauticus website. It will help you with the install and give you a reasonably good idea on what they will do.

ColoradoDiablo 11-21-2012 04:17 PM

Hey Andy ,
Nothing rides well at idle/slow speeds. The larger the boat the better it sits in the water , but the Smart Tabs will help for sure. I found on my Diablo that it really made the boat run "straighter" thru the water(Less wander) at lower speeds.
They sure made it come out of hole quicker :) , and handle way better.
As Mikey stated, I installed the SX9510-60 tabs.

Andy b 11-21-2012 04:40 PM

This is my first Mariah,
always wanted one from back when I sat in one at the Southampton boat show.
But they don’t come along very often over here and waiting for the right one has been tough.

I would love to run some of the bigger stuff like you do over in the states but I trailer my boats and things are a little different in the UK for moving boats around on the roads!

I’ve had other boats in the past such as Sea Ray’s and Glastron’s (cough, cough!) but none of them sat on their stern like the Mariah does.
Don’t get me wrong I love my new boat, it’s just when traveling off the plane it digs a very big hole for an 18’ boat.
And to get it out of the hole you have to punch it then back off.
Maybe the 4.3lt is a bit heavy for it but I didn’t want another 3.0lt

ColoradoDiablo 11-21-2012 06:24 PM

Strange Andy.
I know this sounds a little obvious , but you don't have a issue with water in the ski locker or under the inspection plate for the fuel tank sending unit do ya? The drain holes for both like to get clogged up with junk.
Those Smart Tabs will definately help with getting out of the hole and staying on plane at a lower speed.
What prop are you running?

mikeyt 11-21-2012 06:50 PM

Maybe its just my imagination but i seem to remember someone else from across the big pond saying they had an 18ft Diablo that sat low in the water. I'm not sure i'll ever find that posting though.... :shakehead:

Andy b 11-21-2012 08:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I went through the same thought prosess myself!
The boat is dry stacked at the moment, and has been for the last couple of years so I doubt it’s waterlogged.
Everything below decks is bone dry, the covers are good and the upholstery is dry.
It doesn’t sit low in the water at rest, and below 4 knots it’s fine.
But that bit between 4 knots and planning is a case of just punching the throttle through it and then backing off once it’s over the hump.
If you try and build the speed gradually it just sits on its ass and all you can see is sky.

Now I know you guys don’t know me or my driving ability but it’s not down to trimming, even if it’s even slightly trimmed out the problem is worse.

As for the prop it's an old and seen better day 19 pitch ali prop, i've got a new ali 14-1/4 x 21, Michigan Wheel Match that i want to try on it as it's over reving at wot and trimmed out!

So it’s leg in throttle up and then back off when over the hump!

Just wish I could motor down the river at 6 knots without looking at the sky, upsetting the wafi with my wake, as they drink their gin and tonic on their yachts

here's a couple of pictures of it sat on the water

ColoradoDiablo 11-21-2012 08:35 PM

I won't promise you , but I'm 99.9% sure that the Smart Tabs will solve the problem.

Andy b 11-21-2012 08:42 PM

well i've ordered them tonight, i'l keep you posted :wink_thumbup:

mikeyt 11-21-2012 10:58 PM

Now i'm gettin' a serious case of 'deja vu all over again' (props to Yogi Berra) particularly with the pics of that boat.......