The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Roller trailer vs. bunk trailer (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/7587-roller-trailer-vs-bunk-trailer.html)

mihatran 11-06-2012 03:19 PM

Roller trailer vs. bunk trailer

Did anyone use/have rollers instead of bunks on the trailer? I don't like the trailer that came with my boat when I got it and I would like to replace it with a tandem one. The boat should be around #2700-#2800 dry and I don't tust this trailer with single axle. I found a Shorelend'r but it has rollers. I red a lots of comments regarding demaging the hull but most of them were for Boston Whalers boat. Do you think will be ok for a Mariah boat? I've seen somewhere on the internet saying you have to have enough rollers (to not exceed #150/roller).

indykoch 11-06-2012 04:46 PM

Re: Roller trailer vs. bunk trailer

Roller trailers are often meant for shallow/less steep ramps. I've also heard of rollers damaging hulls. Knowing the stringer system in a Mariah, I'd say you're probably ok especially with as many rollers as possible. But I'd still highly prefer bunks. Whether it's a single axle or tandem, that totally depends on the axle weight rating. Just remember, tandems are much more difficult to turn and roll around into a tight garage or parking space.

mihatran 11-06-2012 05:11 PM

The problem with my trailer is... well, I don't think that one axle is greater than #3500 (I don't know how to check that).

ColoradoDiablo 11-06-2012 05:29 PM

Look over the axle tube closely. Mine is stamped on the outer end of the axle next to the hub assembly.
Only other way I know is to measure the spindle on the axle. The part that the hub rotates on.

Larry

rajjneef 11-06-2012 07:45 PM

The axle should be stamped. Is the trailer a factory trailer or another put with the boat later in it's life? I hate rollers... That's just me.

Zackattack 11-08-2012 12:52 AM

Not a fan of rollers either. I think your bunk style trailers give much better support especially if you ever have rough roads you travel on. If you do go rollers, make sure you get as many as possible and NEVER leave the plug in the boat!(which is a good rule of thumb any time)

mihatran 11-08-2012 11:03 AM

My trailer is manufactured. I can't check the load on axle because the boat is in storage. The trailer that I found to buy is a tandem for boats up to 23' and it has 48 rollers. When I asked the question was for the boat not for me how to handle it at the ramp. There are some boats which you never should load on rollers and I just wanted to be sure if Mariah is one of them. Thanks for the answers.