The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Remote control (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/756-remote-control.html)

tnmc13 02-23-2008 11:48 PM

Remote control

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the wiring of the remote control trim/tilt on a 94 Barchetta 182? Or can someone tell me if it has the power tilt on this model. The trim works fine but I cannot get the power tilt to work at all. If there is a catch button please tell me where it is because I can't find it. An help is grreatly appreicated.

WetWilly 02-24-2008 03:58 AM

Hello tnmc13,

When you refer to the "trim", I assume you mean the amount of movement for the outdrive when the boat is in the water and the "power tilt" is for the trailering position, is this correct?

I'm also assuming you have the Volvo-Penta outdrive w/ a 135hp four cylinder engine since it's a 3.0 GL, correct?

Could you post a picture and model of the Throttle and Shifter control? Typically, all the outdrive tilt and trim controls are built into this assembly.

WetWilly

tnmc13 02-24-2008 06:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yes I am talking about the tilt that trailers the motor. I have enclosed some pictures of the dash and the remote control. You are right about the motor.

WetWilly 02-24-2008 11:48 PM

Hello tnmc13,

Great pictures!

Just for the record, I am much more familiar with Mercruiser, but I believe the controls should fundamentally be the same.

Have you tried pushing both the "TRIM" and the "TILT" buttons for the same direction you want the outdrive to go?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ontroller2.jpg

Some of these controllers required you to push both the "TRIM" and the "TILT" buttons for the "TILT" to function. They were designed this way to prevent you from over "up" trimming while in gear and at speed. Doing so would create excessive binding in the drive shaft u-joints and cause premature failure.

Give this a try and let me know if it worked. If it doesn't work it could indicate a failure of the Tilt sensor verses the "Trim" sensor. I know the Mercruiser have two sensors on the gimbal ring, one for trim and the other for tilt.

In the mean time, I'll see if I can dig up a Volvo-Penta manual somewhere.

Good luck,
WetWilly

boatman 02-27-2008 06:08 PM

I cannot remember back that far, but last summer, when I had the boat out, I thought I had to run the trim all the way up and then the trailer tilt button would work. It wouldn't wok until the trim was all the way up. I have a Merc alpha I outdrive.

Straad 02-27-2008 08:35 PM

wow i have a 95 barchetta 182 an dit looks Totally different than that
(mercruiser)

mine threw me also
the tilt on mine is up top
but below the entire lever toward the back a little is a flush triangle mark on the rubber/vinyl cover
not raised, no words, no nohting
but you can push this little triangle in just a touch and that is my tilt

i looked at a 94 also and the dash looks familiar but it had a 4.3 merc also
did they have many engine options factory?
or is this an aftermarket change?

Z 202 02-27-2008 10:13 PM

It's just the difference between Merc and Volvo-Penta.

I have the trailer tilt "button" at the back (bottom) of the shift console as well. It can be used to lift the drive at any time. I've tilted mine up for slow speed navigation in shallow channels. I don't think it should cause a problem, unless you got the cooling intake out of the water.

WetWilly 02-27-2008 11:49 PM

Hi Z202,

Actually, it's not a Merc or Volvo thing, it appears more like it was the brand of controller Mariah decided to install on a particular model at the time.

Case and point, I had the same identical controller as tnmc13 on a Sea Ray Merc Alpha 1, while his is on a Volvo and our 96' Z240's tilt is like Straad's 95' 182, in the lower corner w/triangle. As I said before, fundamentally most of the trim and tilt controls are the same.

I too have run very slowly with the outdrive a little bit into the "tilt" angle area. It can be done, and you’re dead on about the cooling! A word of caution to others, only use this at low, low (rpm) speeds, watch the temp and feel for any drive line binding, as this can put undo strain on the gimbal and driveshaft bearings and u-joints. If in doubt, contact your local shop for advice.

WetWilly

Straad 02-28-2008 04:38 AM

Quote:

and feel for any drive line binding, as this can put undo strain on the gimbal and driveshaft bearings and u-joints.
yea i do that allot also, especially in real shallow water
didnt know it could be a problem at all
thanks for the note

dudders 02-28-2008 04:29 PM

I was told I could trim up as far as the trim would go no problems (low speed of course) then I have to push the trim button in harder (real hard really) and that tilts the outdrive up for trailering.
Is this just another set up from Mercruiser or is it a common thing on the newer boats?
The dealer said it was ok to do this
Am I doing the right thing?