Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Smart Tabs Update

Original Mariah Talk

Old 07-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #1

Oregondunes is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2000
My Model: Z302 Bow Rider
My Engine: 7.4 bravo3
Gallery Images: 36

Send Oregondunes:
a Private Message

Default Smart Tabs Update

I purchased these two winters ago. I installed them perfectly according to their recommendations.

They were shipped with (2) 80# shocks for each tab. Immediately I lost 9 mph, however I was still able to reach rev limit (4400), so I had a HIGH prop slip from the drag of the tabs. The boat snapped up on plane (not that it had a hard time before, but now it was nearly effortless). So I stepped up from 24p to 26p props and gained 2 mph (still on the rev limit)

Over the past year I have been reducing the load from the tabs. First I removed (1) shock per side and picked up 4 mph. Then I moved the remaining shock up to the high point reducing the amount of initial drag.

This past weekend, I turned the bottom bracket around to further decrease the initial angle. We are now running on the rev limit at 45 mph (3 mph faster then ever before). The boat still reaches plane easily, but is not as smooth staying in the straight line by itself. Im going out again on Tuesday and will probably move the shock down (1) notch and see what effect it has.

Next step is to send the ECU to Arizona Speed and Machine and have them update the programming and raise the rev limit to 5200. According to their mad scientist programmer/dyno guy, they can add 12-15hp, increase fuel economy ( and decrease emissions) and safely limit the motor to 5200. They charge under $500 for this.

Before I spend countless $1000's on a fully built 525, im going to stretch what I can out the 7.4 MPI that I got. The ultimate goal is 60+ mph, but Ill be happy with 50 MPH with the current power plant.
Zackattack likes this.
  • Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #2

Kitto is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 2002 Diablo 200 5.0L Merc. Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 7

Send Kitto:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Smart Tabs Update

Not to hijack your thread, but I have a question for you on tabs. When traveling at slow speeds and in turn, say to pick up a fallen tube rider, do you feel like the boat dives in too steep in the corners? The reason I ask, my father has a Shabah 210 with the lightest pound actuators and when he turns it feels like the boat is going to "duck a rail" in the turn. It is a rather uneasy feeling. He has the tabs out as far as possible as per the directions and the lightest setting and still gets this at turn in. Everything else is great, holeshot, power, etc, but he's taken them off as it feels so unstable when turning. Now, maybe the size of the boat would be different, but I thought I would ask as he's a bit frustrated with the set up. Thanks for your input.
    Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

That's an interesting problem but one i've never experienced when pulling tubers behind my 180 which has Smart Tabs. Maybe it's the particular hull with that 210? Ask him if he trims in the outdrive while turning etc. Just a thought but I suspect that if he does then that might contribute to the 'diving' sensation.
    Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send Kitto:
    a Private Message

It happens when he is trimmed all the way down. I don't know if he has messed with the trim while turning to see if that changes anything. I suspect so since he has spent quite some time trying different options. At first he had the 80# actuators and they were to stiff so he went down to the 60's with same problem. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
    Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #5

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

I'd suggest to back off on the trimming while turning. The Smart Tabs should provide some stability during the turn process so he shouldn't have to trim the outdrive in very far. If i recall correctly, mine allowed me to trim only about have of what i used to pre- Smart Tabs.
    Old 07-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send Kitto:
    a Private Message

I will relay that. I just spoke with him and he was pretty sure he was trimmed all the way down. I should clarify, it was turning at anytime at slower speeds, not just pulling tubes, but getting a downed skier etc. I wonder if it might be the hull, although I have searched and there are a number of guys who have them on the 20ft. boats and haven't had this issue, can't image much difference in one more foot, but who knows?
    Old 07-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kitto View Post
    Not to hijack your thread, but I have a question for you on tabs. When traveling at slow speeds and in turn, say to pick up a fallen tube rider, do you feel like the boat dives in too steep in the corners? The reason I ask, my father has a Shabah 210 with the lightest pound actuators and when he turns it feels like the boat is going to "duck a rail" in the turn. It is a rather uneasy feeling. He has the tabs out as far as possible as per the directions and the lightest setting and still gets this at turn in. Everything else is great, holeshot, power, etc, but he's taken them off as it feels so unstable when turning. Now, maybe the size of the boat would be different, but I thought I would ask as he's a bit frustrated with the set up. Thanks for your input.

Once on plane, I trim up (even while pulling tubes). If I slow down to turn for a downed rider, Ive got so much keel in the water it's pretty flat.

Though I do notice now that the boat leans a bit more (or maybe just easier) then ever before with the tabs on in their current position.
    Old 07-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kitto View Post
    Something else to try is to NOT decelerate so quickly going into the turn. Slow while straight and power thru the corner
    Old 07-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #9

Paul F is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 4

Send Paul F:
    a Private Message

I agree about the trim. When I'm trimmed in, it's like the hull is glued to the water on a turn.

Just a little trim out makes all of the difference on my boat.