The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Flip-Up Cushion Screws stripped (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/7185-flip-up-cushion-screws-stripped.html)

woodward33 07-17-2012 08:43 PM

Flip-Up Cushion Screws stripped

Hey there. I knew this was inevitable, but my starboard bow cushion (the one that flips up to cover the storage area) had both screws pull out. :mad: The screwholes into the cushion are completely stripped. Anybody have any tips/tricks how to fix this without having a new cushion made? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DCB_MINDED 07-18-2012 02:05 AM

Re: Flip-Up Cushion Screws stripped

I don't know exactly how it is set up, but use bigger screws? (Fatter,not longer)

Brewfixer 07-18-2012 04:22 AM

Ditto, I had to do the same in most of the items that had loose screws all around the boat. I think they are #8 SS Screws (various lengths). I just used #10 SS Screws. I would fill the holes with a wood filler (putty) when you put the new screws in as a security. Worked like a charm on mine.

woodward33 07-18-2012 01:48 PM

Thanks guys. I knew somebody on here had to have dealt with the same problem. Off to the hardware store.

Mariahmaroo 07-23-2012 12:37 AM

I used to work in cabinet installation and every one and a while we would strip a screw, or rather strip the wood out with the screw. We didn't have the option of using a bigger screw because it would look bad. So what we would do is get a shim and cut it into the shape and size of the hole. Then we would use wood glue and put the shim piece into the hole. Let it dry, then put the screw back in. It will be just as strong or stronger than before. The problem with going with a bigger screw is that once it strips out you have to go bigger again, and you can only do that so many times. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Asus Transformer using Tapatalk 2

Oregondunes 07-23-2012 06:25 AM

I removed the hinges all together as I didnt like them folding inward. It makes it impossible to remove a large tow tube in my bow. the kids arent tall enough to reach over the cushions.

I instead installed blocks that keep the cushion from sliding off the storage area inward. They are tall enough to reach into the storage areas when the cushion is in place and the weight of the cushion keeps it from flying around.

The blocks are made from a synthetic cutting board I bought at Target. I used a band saw to make square (1"x1") strips then cut them into lengths approx 4" long. I then drilled counter sunk holes and attached with stainless screws. I put just 1 on each cushion right in the middle of the opening

does this make sense ?

DCB_MINDED 07-23-2012 11:27 AM

Sometimes you can cram the holes full of steel wool as well... then run the screw into the hole

smokey9015 07-25-2012 06:00 PM

toothpicks, hammer, wood glue and chisel work well.

coat tooth picks with wood glue and hammer them in tight. when dry cut the tooth picks flush with the other wood and drill new hole mount your existing screw.

Talari4fun 07-26-2012 05:11 PM

golf tee and wood glue