The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Diablo 3.0 Power Options (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/7127-diablo-3-0-power-options.html)

Gin Time 07-09-2012 12:05 AM

Diablo 3.0 Power Options

So I am on my way home with my new to me 1993 Diablo 180. I didn't sea trial her so my only real concern is how well does the 3.0 move her? Are there any little tricks to increase performance?
:)

ColoradoDiablo 07-09-2012 02:43 AM

Re: Diablo 3.0 Power Options

Well , your looking at 135hp and around 40-44 mph at sea level. Not anything you can do to it except prop. You could do porting , overbore ,, etc. But if your going to spend that kinda money , repower with a 4.3LX(205hp) power package..
Good reliable motor , but it ain't no powerhouse.
Just have fun with it and laugh at everybody filling up at the marina every day! :)
You got you a fun and stable boat!!

Larry

Gin Time 07-09-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo (Post 37397)
Well , your looking at 135hp and around 40-44 mph at sea level. Not anything you can do to it except prop. You could do porting , overbore ,, etc. But if your going to spend that kinda money , repower with a 4.3LX(205hp) power package..
Good reliable motor , but it ain't no powerhouse.
Just have fun with it and laugh at everybody filling up at the marina every day! :)
You got you a fun and stable boat!!

Larry

Thanks for your reply Larry. 40-43 WOT sounds good to me. I may consider a repower for next season if my boys want more speed but we shall see.

ColoradoDiablo 07-09-2012 04:07 AM

Where you at Gin? Elevation?

Larry

Gin Time 07-09-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo (Post 37407)
Where you at Gin? Elevation?

Larry

Long Island, NY at sea level. We mostly stay in the LI Sound which is the body of water which connects Long Island to Connecticut. We will also be launching her on the south shore of LI so we can run the bay over to Fire Island. For the most part seas are relatively calm around one foot or less with variable winds around 8-12 knots. Every now and again we get a calm day where the water is like glass but those days are few and far between.

ColoradoDiablo 07-09-2012 06:52 PM

Sounds like a great setup for you. Just maintain her and you'll have no worries and lots of fun :)

Larry

Gin Time 07-12-2012 03:56 AM

I took her out today and was a little let down with WOT around 4900 RPM, according to the gauge, and 32 MPH, according to a very reliable Droid speedo ap. Would really like this to be more like 4700 and 42!!!!

ColoradoDiablo 07-12-2012 04:10 PM

You need to look at what size prop you got Gin. You can probably pick up a little more with a prop that has another 2 in pitch. But , your gonna loose everything on the bottom end.
Check the ID on the outdrive. Make sure it is a 3.0 drive. Do a compression check on the motor. Did it make any weird noises when you had it out? Especially while turning? Something is fishy. She outta run 40 easy I would think.

Larry

Gin Time 07-12-2012 09:06 PM

She sounded great. A few peculiar things did happen though. When I started her on land for the first time in two days she started up first try and ran strong. I filled up with fuel then launched her. Ran the blower for a minute and went to start it. She sounded like the battery was near dead. I turned the blower off and got more juice out of her and she eventually fired up. Then while under way I tried the blower and she immediately sarted to die so I turned it off and she recovered. No issues when I put the bilge pump on, just blower. Ran her for about 15 minutes around 3500 RPM w no problems. Took her to WOT for a minute or so, no problems. Ran around 4500 for another 5 mins or so, no problems. Then went to WOT and the temp gauge went from 160 to like 200 so I took her down to trolling speed. Noticed a little smoke in the bilge which looked to be coming from either the carb or manifold areas. She quickly recovered back to around 160 and we called it a day. Hummmmmmmmmmm

Zackattack 07-13-2012 02:09 AM

SMOKE??? not good.... I wouldn't be too concerned with the temp getting high wen under that high level use for a while but smoke..... Never!