The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   2001 Mariah Shabah (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6921-2001-mariah-shabah.html)

Medic1 06-05-2012 12:49 AM

2001 Mariah Shabah

I have a 2001 Mariah Shabah 202 I am curious as to the approximate weight of the boat. I also have a tandem axle Mariah trailer, curious what the approximate combined weight is? Thinking about trailering to Missouri and wondering about brakes for the trailer and size of vehicle needed to tow. Thanks

DCB_MINDED 06-05-2012 01:41 AM

Re: 2001 Mariah Shabah

Depends on the size of the engine, Fuel level, crap stored inside, but you are looking at about 4000 lbs total (give or take). Some states have different laws on trailer brakes, so you might want to look into that. I put together a tutorial on installing electric trailer brakes that in my opinion is a must! where are you coming from, and what are you planning on towing with?

Zackattack 06-05-2012 04:59 AM

The 01 brochure says 3150lbs and a tandem trailer must weigh in around 1200, so you likely are pretty close to 4500lbs. Are you sure you do not have trailer brakes? Are there small tubes running down the trailer to possibly the front two wheels from the hitch? You could have surge brakes already. Take a good look at the trailer and the inside of the wheel drums, if you do not have them you need them, this is too heavy of a boat to be towing around(unless you are driving a freightliner) without brakes to safely stop.

Next thing is whats the towing capacity of the tow vehicle? And what is the actual GVW of the tow vehicle?

Medic1 06-05-2012 09:33 PM

Sorry, it does have brakes but the previous owner did not connect them. I will pulling the boat with a Yukon XL. Now I trying to figure out what type of tire I need on the trailer, the tires currently on the trailer are 12 years old. Since I only trailer the boat once a year from Kansas to Missouri would a 4 ply be enough for highway speeds? The spec sheet on my boat indicated the dry weight at 2975, and a tandem axle trailer. Again, would a 4 ply be enough, 6 ply or a regular car tire?

Thanks

DCB_MINDED 06-05-2012 10:01 PM

You need to look at load index (weight rating of the tire) and also speed rating. Take the weight of your boat and trailer (I would round up to be safe) and divide it by 4 (since there are 4 tires) Personally I wouldn't put 4 ply tires on my lawn mower if I were driving it that far, but that's just me.

Hudson River Steve 06-06-2012 11:53 AM

You should only use tires marked "ST" or Special Purpose Trailer Tires on any kind of trailer. Radials are a little more expensive but they run cooler and heat is what kills tires.

Captain Steve 06-10-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic1 (Post 36472)
I have a 2001 Mariah Shabah 202 I am curious as to the approximate weight of the boat. I also have a tandem axle Mariah trailer, curious what the approximate combined weight is? Thinking about trailering to Missouri and wondering about brakes for the trailer and size of vehicle needed to tow. Thanks

My 1997 Z210 weighs 4,600 pounds on the trailer with 3/4 tank of gas and gear. Don't know if it is the same exact hull, but it might be.