The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Rebuilt my Shelby Winch (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6833-rebuilt-my-shelby-winch.html)

nglauer 05-19-2012 04:36 AM

Rebuilt my Shelby Winch

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn't sure if anyone had rebuilt their winch.. but figured I would share a picture of mine.

I replaced the pawl, spring, 3 small gears that roll against the drum, and replaced my winch strap one that includes the strap to hold it to the trailer. The picture isn't the best... but it show's you the cover I purchased from Shelby when I ordered my parts.

Tomorrow I plan on completing the installation of my Lowrance LST 3800 - I think i'm going to try mounting my in-hull transducer with some toilet bowl wax... but I will post that in another thread to get some feedback.

Last I plan on giving it a good waxing for the season.. and hopefully we'll see some water on Sunday or next weekend depending on the weather.

If you have a Shelby winch and would like to dress it up or conceal it due to slight rust.. here is the link to the cover (although they forgot to send me my decals). | Shelby Industries

They also sell all the parts for the winches as well.. | Shelby Industries

Nick

bmckinnon 05-19-2012 07:59 AM

Re: Rebuilt my Shelby Winch

Thanks this link will come in handy!

jarwiebe 05-20-2012 04:03 PM

FYI I mounted my transducer in toilet bowl was last fall. I have only been out once this year but my depth gauge performed perfectly so I know the wax route works. How long is another question but I did confirm for myself that my gauge and transducer were ok.

ColoradoDiablo 05-20-2012 07:20 PM

Nice info! :)

Larry

ColoradoDiablo 05-20-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarwiebe (Post 36066)
FYI I mounted my transducer in toilet bowl was last fall. I have only been out once this year but my depth gauge performed perfectly so I know the wax route works. How long is another question but I did confirm for myself that my gauge and transducer were ok.

Huh??? :confused: :confused:

jarwiebe 05-21-2012 03:02 AM

Ah,no I didn't mount it in a toilet bowl, but I did use toilet bowl wax ring to mount it in the bilge :shakehead:

nglauer 05-21-2012 02:45 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I tested out the was ring as well. I pressed 2/3's of it into a really gross pancake.. then pressed my transducer into it and used the remaining wax around the transducer to help secure it. It must be reading accurately because I tested it out on the river and the depths all seemed right for the area I was in. It was also reading 4ft at the backside of my trailer when I was loading/unloading it.. and I know for a fact that is correct. Sure beats using epoxy.. if it holds up! plus wiring my lowrance was super easy. I did have to drill a hold for the temp sensor though.. but it turned out decent, although I hate drilling holes in my boat about as much as I hate jumping in cold water lol.

I will try to attach a picture of the install... although the pictures didn't come out very well on my phone.

nglauer 05-21-2012 02:51 PM

My motor looks like it has corrosion in the one picture, but it's dust from where I sanded the fiberglass in the hull. I washed everything down before I took it on the river for a test run.. then washed it all back down once I got back. Hopefully we will get to take it out this coming weekend. I did notice a metal rattling noise at higher RPM when I took it out. I'm not sure what the noise is.. it's only at higher speeds and sounds like something hitting something. Almost a rattling/buzzing noise. I thought it was my spare prop hitting the hydraulic pump so I moved it and it didn't go away. I will try to remove my top on the next trip.. perhaps it is rattling back there at certain RPM's. Anyone have any suggestions? I have the 3.0L with Alpha 1.

Thanks,
Nick

nglauer 05-21-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarwiebe (Post 36091)
Ah,no I didn't mount it in a toilet bowl, but I did use toilet bowl wax ring to mount it in the bilge :shakehead:

So when you check the depth of water in the bowl.. do you do that before or after you flush? I prefer to avoid water with debris as well lol.

jarwiebe 05-22-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nglauer (Post 36097)
So when you check the depth of water in the bowl.. do you do that before or after you flush? I prefer to avoid water with debris as well lol.

I did spot some fish at about 6", didn't catch any though.:rolleyes: