The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Winterized for 2 years (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6780-winterized-2-years.html)

jjk61083 05-08-2012 08:40 PM

Winterized for 2 years

I bought my 98 Shabah 202 in May of 2010 and used it quite a bit that summer. I had it winterized by my boat guy and put inside a storage building. My daughter got married last summer so we left the boat in storage for financial reasons. I'm getting ready to bring it home again soon and went by to talk to the guy who winterized it to see if I needed to do anything different this year. He said we needed to drain the fuel and he would make sure it starts and runs ok. Has anyone experienced this before - and has it caused any other problems? It was in perfect running condition when we put her to sleep. Thanks.

rayzorback 05-08-2012 08:52 PM

Re: Winterized for 2 years

Should be fine with new fuel.

Minnox 05-08-2012 09:18 PM

The fuel tank should be emptied and the carburetor may need attention and possibly replace the batteries. You also should check (yearly if not more often) your bilge pump fuel lines and any thru hull fittings as a safety concern. Just my 2 cents.

mikeyt 05-08-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjk61083 (Post 35757)
I bought my 98 Shabah 202 in May of 2010 and used it quite a bit that summer. I had it winterized by my boat guy and put inside a storage building. My daughter got married last summer so we left the boat in storage for financial reasons. I'm getting ready to bring it home again soon and went by to talk to the guy who winterized it to see if I needed to do anything different this year. He said we needed to drain the fuel and he would make sure it starts and runs ok. Has anyone experienced this before - and has it caused any other problems? It was in perfect running condition when we put her to sleep. Thanks.

The mechanic isn't being unreasonable although if you put fuel stabilizer in the tank back and properly winterized the engine in the fall of 2010 you may not have to empty what is there, just fill it up with fresh fuel. You also might want to watch for any signs of overheating due to a failed impeller though. Depending on how the batteries were treated while in storage (or did you remove them?) they may simply need to be topped up. Having the mechanic just start her up & give it a quick check over may be a good thing.

jjk61083 05-10-2012 05:10 PM

Thanks, guys. I did remove batteries and have them stored in my basement. I will be putting them on a charger this weekend. Getting excited about just hooking her up and pulling home tomorrow.

jjk61083 05-16-2012 05:02 PM

OK-just an update. Took the boat in yesterday and had the fuel drained, levels checked and everything looked over. Started and ran great - ready for the lake. Planning on going out Memorial weekend.