The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Engine problems (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6600-engine-problems.html)

truckingeorgia79 03-26-2012 01:57 AM

Engine problems

Engine ran fine then I replaced the starter because it quit working. Tried to start and it started then shut off. Attempted to start several more times, same results. Next I started again then immediately gave it some throttle and it stayed running, as soon as I let off the throttle it died again. I adjusted the idle up a little and it worked. Took boat out this weekend ran into some choppy water hit a pretty good swell and engine quit. Had a friend of mine tow me to the nearest shore and tried to get it running again. Now the only way to get it started is to have the throttle almost wide open then back it down, but at about 1500 rpm's the engine quits. Needless to say had to be towed back to the dock. Anyone have any ideas?:confused:

rayzorback 03-29-2012 01:11 AM

Re: Engine problems

Clogged fuel filter?

DCB_MINDED 03-29-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayzorback (Post 34756)
Clogged fuel filter?

Doubt that. Usually a clogged filter or any fuel restriction will let them run at low RPM, but they will choke out when revved up. I would guess it's in the carb. or possibly electrical.

Dredd 03-29-2012 01:20 PM

Fwiw, I was thinking it sounds carb related too. Sounds like the bowls are running out of fuel.

But... did a bunch of water get in the boat at some point causing the starter to go out and maybe now something else electrical?

DCB_MINDED 03-29-2012 01:28 PM

I don't think his carb has bowls Dredd (I may be completely wrong) but I think it is a TBI setup. TruckinGA, If you can't figure it out, i'm only a couple of hours from you, maybe between the 2 of us we can get her going.

truckingeorgia79 03-29-2012 03:40 PM

Motor is not TBI, it has a carb. No water has gotten in the boat to mess the starter up. I had the starter rebuilt and the 3 little gears inside that the brush gear turns were stripped out.

darkcalling 03-29-2012 04:11 PM

This is just a thought but if it's a mech fuel pump it could be going out I had that issue with 350s in cars before. If you can get someone to trun it over for you check if fuel is being misted into the carb, should only be the front 2 bowls on a quadrajet carb if not clean carb change filter. Retry if same try changing out the pump. All this is if it is a mech pump on the front side of the block. I have some tips for changing the pump if that appears to be the issue, keep us posted.

truckingeorgia79 03-29-2012 09:41 PM

It is a mech fuel pump and i am going to be changing the fuel/ water filter to see if thats it.

Hudson River Steve 03-30-2012 12:50 AM

Just a thought but since the problem started after you replaced the starter did you double check the wiring around the starter and starter solenoid? If the wire that goes from the starter solenoid to the Coil "+" terminal was miswired or broken and shorting somewhere... it could be dragging down your coil voltage...and then it wouldn't run to well.

truckingeorgia79 03-30-2012 09:24 PM

@ Hudson River Steve- I will look at that too. The starter was rebuilt, do you think that possibly it was put back together wrong and that is the problem? It ran fine before the starter problem.