Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Nada Price vs Market

Original Mariah Talk

Old 12-27-2011, 05:15 AM   #1

nhorton123 is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send nhorton123:
a Private Message

Default Nada Price vs Market

Hello All -

I have been in the market for a Mariah for some time and have come across one that I thought at first was seemed like a fair market price. The boat is a Mariah 238 (cuddly) with 232 hours; 5.7L with a Mercruiser Bravo I. They are asking 13,000.

As I do a quick Mariah search I see very few of them on the market. The 2 or 3 that I do see for sale around the country are all going for over 18,000. Is where I get stumped is that the NADA price is listing it for sale somewhere between the price of 9,500 and 11,500.

I know that essentially a boat is worth whatever you will pay for it, but I don't want to be in for a boat for much more than it is essentially worth. Can someone help me understand where the price differences are coming from.

Thanks in advance!
  • Old 12-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

csterner is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: Z275ST Shabah
    My Engine: 6.2L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 9

Send csterner:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Nada Price vs Market

I think you already answered your own question. The true value is whatever you are willing to pay for it. Mariah's are awesome boats. They are built very solid and loaded with options. People who are looking to purchase or already own Mariah's know this and they are also very aware of the fact that you can't get parts for the original Mariah's(2001 and older). Yes, you can get engine parts and some accessories, but very limited. I have owned my Z275 a little less than a year and I got a steal, but it was a project boat. There were only 2 other ones for sale and they were asking double what I paid, but they were in perfect shape. I now wish I could have afforded the perfect ones! For instance, Mariah used a very nice and unique Italian refrigerator in my boat made by Indel. After calling overseas, I found new ones cost $1,000! UGGGhhh, needless to say I am still putting ice in my frig! But that is how Mariah built these boats. They put the best of everything in them, and yes it costs ALOT of money to replace and fix some things on them, but they are worth it. And that is why they are asking so much more for one in great shape. You will have something that no one else will have at the boat ramp or the sand bar! People are always amazed at my boat wherever we go and in my opinion, mine isn't even in great shape yet! So don't be afraid of the price. If they are in great shape, they are worth it!

p.s. sorry so long winded...kinda bored this morning!!
    Thank you csterner for this useful post!
    texasZ202 (09-03-2012)
    Old 12-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #3

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Nada Price vs Market

Keep in mind also, NADA values DON'T include the cost of the trailer, and you can't get a fully accurate value without checking all the available options, and factoring in the engine hours.

There's a market value guide called the "BUC" Marine dealers use, which presents a much more true to market price. However it's limited to dealers only, or those willing to shell out the high price for access.

Also, remember, the price is an ASKING price, not what you're going to pay. You can always offer them what you want to pay, and if they're interested, they'll take the deal. I've seen a few Mariahs for sale for over 2 years straight, and they'll stay for sale until the owner/dealer realizes the price needs to come down. There's one Z302 that's for sale and the owner is asking $149k!

These boats are like no other. People who own these boats take incredible care of them, and that's why they hold their value so well.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification