Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

95 Mariah Shabah 202 project boat

Original Mariah Talk

Old 09-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #1

NHRADeuce is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send NHRADeuce:
a Private Message

Default 95 Mariah Shabah 202 project boat

Hello Mariah owners! I am also trying to become a Mariah owner and think I have stumbled on a fantastic deal, but I wanted to make sure before I get stuck in a money pit. The boat is a 95 Mariah Shabah 202 (I don't think it is a Z202, I don't know how to tell the difference). The hull is in very good condition, I couldn't find any cracks or chips anywhere. The gel coat is in decent shape but definitely needs to be buffed out. The current owner pulled the original engine (he said it was a 305) and replaced it with a 350. The outdrive looks great and goes in and out of gear smooth as butter and the trim worked great. All the gauges are there and seem to be in working order.

Now for the bad - it has sat outside uncovered for a year. The sun deck needs to be recovered and there are no hydraulics on it, I would assume it is supposed to have a couple of shocks to hold it up at least. The rear bench is completely missing, and the stereo faceplate is gone (I saw the thread about making a new on though!!). The deck is solid luckily but basically all of the vinyl will need to be replaced. Lighting will need to be replaced both front and rear. The trailer is roadworthy but it's seen better days. Lastly, the owner doesn't have a title so that might present some problems.

I know getting the interior done should be no problem, but I am concerned about finding parts like the lights, faceplate, rear deck hydraulics, and anything else I might come across. How ward is it to come by these types of small parts?

The boat seems like a steal, he only wants a grand for it as is. From what I can tell it would cost me around $5-6k or so to get one if good shape so there is some room to work with. Am I dreaming or do you think this would make a good project?
  • Old 09-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #2

Send NHRADeuce:
    a Private Message

Default Re: 95 Mariah Shabah 202 project boat

Oh yeah, I am also a little concerned about the about the engine swap. Not sure where it come from but the owner said they basically dropped in the long block then bolted up everything else from the original engine. It doesnt seem like 5.0l to 5.7l would make enough of a difference to kill anything, would it?
    Old 09-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #3

Zackattack is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7 Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Zackattack:
    a Private Message

Hhhhhhmmmm, thats alot to think about, The engine repower would need some scrutiny from a marine mechanic to see if it was done RIGHT, not just DONE.

The repairs you mentioned are simple and can be done(lighting , hatch lift, upholstery), but why no title? that will need to be a question for the state title authorities.

Engine though and title seem like pretty major warning flares?

If you can get the titles, and the engine is done right, then no problem, good buy.

Zack
    1994 Z212 Shabah
    Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #4

Dredd is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: MX-19 - Sold
    My Engine: 4.3

Send Dredd:
    a Private Message

Some states don't title boats. Kansas is one of them.
    Old 09-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #5

Send NHRADeuce:
    a Private Message

I checked with the DMV today and it turns out that the title will be no problem. All I need is a notarized bill of sale. I think with that in mind I'll pick it up and get it to a pro to check out. Worst case I should be able to flip it without losing much.