The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Grinding when turning?! (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6098-grinding-when-turning.html)

mike699 08-28-2011 11:47 PM

Grinding when turning?!

About a month ago I started to hear a grinding coming from somewhere back by the engine. It was always the worst when I was turned hard left or right. I read some things and concluded it was the gimbal bearing. So I decided to tackle the bearing along with some other things myself. Here is a list of what I replaced and fixed.
-Gimbal bearing
-All 3 bellows
-trim sender and limit switch
-anode kit
-water pump
-aligned engine
-new gear lube
-cooling hose

I started the boat tonight on land after working on it all week after work and it sounded fine when I turned left and right in gear but then I got it into the water only to hear the same thing from before. The grinding occurs only when in gear and gets worse as your increase the throttle. It does the same thing in reverse as forward. When idling there is no grinding at any steering position. I think this points to something in the lower gearset because it doesnt happen when idling. Please help... I'm running out of patience and funds with this thing. :mad:

Oh I have a 1993 Talari 200Z with 5.0LX alpha one gen 2.

Thanks,
Mike

Shabah 198SE 08-29-2011 12:39 AM

Re: Grinding when turning?!

mike699,

Sounds like u-joints.

Shabah 198SE

mikeyt 08-29-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabah 198SE (Post 32276)
mike699,

Sounds like u-joints.

Shabah 198SE

agreed. :(

mike699 08-29-2011 01:07 AM

When I had it apart I checked for play in the ujoints. There didn't seem to be any issue there. Coukd they make noise without noticeable play? Also, they looked to be ungreasable. The grease zerks had plugs in them??

Shabah 198SE 08-29-2011 03:02 AM

mike699,

It is pretty hard to check the u-joints with the lower unit off unless they feel rough when you move them. The only way to really check them is to remove them and take them appart. Once you've done that, you might as well change them anyway.

On tight turns, these u-joint are under a lot of load.

If your boat is a 1993 and they have never been changed, they are over due. I'm old school and if you change the u-joints, I recommend trying to find greasable joints and make sure that you install them with the grease fittings lined up.

Shabah 198SE

Thompson Marine 08-29-2011 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike699 (Post 32280)
When I had it apart I checked for play in the ujoints. There didn't seem to be any issue there. Coukd they make noise without noticeable play? Also, they looked to be ungreasable. The grease zerks had plugs in them??

Change them and your problem will be gone

mike699 09-07-2011 02:18 AM

Well I changed the U-joints which was probably the easiest thing I did during the rebuild and no more grinding when turning!! Thanks for the advice! Hopefully get another few weeks of boating here in iowa.

Shabah 198SE 09-07-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike699 (Post 32519)
Well I changed the U-joints which was probably the easiest thing I did during the rebuild and no more grinding when turning!! Thanks for the advice! Hopefully get another few weeks of boating here in iowa.

mike699,

Great news, enjoy the rest of your boating season.

Shabah 198SE