Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

please help

Original Mariah Talk

Old 08-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #1

wbrock44 is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send wbrock44:
a Private Message

Default please help

I'm considering purchasing a new (to me) boat. Its actually my first boat and my brother and father are doing this together. Anyways, we have come across a 1994 272 Barchetta. It seems like a great boat so far. They are asking between $14-15K. I know it has the bimini tops, dual prop, a trailer. Not sure what else I should be asking for here and if this is a good value. It is out of town so I haven't seen it in person yet, but thinking of making the trip soon. Let me know if you have any opinion or advice. Thanks for the help!
  • Old 08-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #2

voodoo is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: Davanti
    My Engine: 5.7

Send voodoo:
    a Private Message

Default Re: please help

Is this everybody's first boat?
    Old 08-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #3

DFZ272 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z272 Barchetta
    My Engine: 7.4 Bravo III

Send DFZ272:
    a Private Message

Hi, I bought a 1995 Z272 Barchetta about 4 months ago. I just wanted a really big bow rider. I finally outgrew my 19 footer(not a Mariah though). That price is about what I paid for mine. Mine has the 7.4 engine, Bravo III outdrive, dual prop. Good tandem axle trailer with NEW tires. This boat is heavy around 6000 lbs(U need an capable tow vehicle) Note about the trailer-U need brakes on this trailer-if the trailer brakes don't work, that may be a cost item to consider. Other things to consider-was it stored indoors, does it have a boat cover, is the upholstery in good shape. If you live up north and the boat hasn't been used in a long time-was the boat winterized properly? Will the present owner take you a test run? Who serviced the boat(mechanical stuff). Mechanical things, there are several things to consider, you may want to arrange to have it checked out by a boat mechanic in the area if you don't know a lot about boats and their systems. Is the floor soft anywhere, open up the floor storage and feel around for soft wood. Note these boats structurally were built like tanks with a lifetime hulll warranty it takes a lot to mess one up. Remember this is not a new boat(not a bad thing) so it probably won't be perfect, but these boat when new went for between 50 and 60K. Bottom line, if it is good shape it is worth it, just remember you will have maintenance costs too. I really like mine so that may make me biased. Let us know if you get it. This forum has a wealth of knowledge about these boats and the people are great. If you have a specific question, let me know and I will try to help
    Happy Boating,
    Dan
    Old 08-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #4

ridnwild is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 5.7 bravo III

Send ridnwild:
    a Private Message

Things to look for. If its out of the water try to push the outdrive & see if the steering wheel turns with it, should have a little slack but not much. Make sure you can test it before you buy it. Do not buy without test driving! Make sure the test is at least 2-3hrs long. This way if it has a cracked block 2-3hrs should loosen the rust enough to start seeing water in the oil. Make sure it steers smooth, (not hard to turn), & it stays straight (not constantly adjusting to keep it straight). Thats the things I found the hard way cost me 7,500 extra.
    Mariahs are great boats if taken care of. Any boat can be a money pit if not.
    This is a given but i'll mention it anyway, check the oil before starting, then check after an hour, and again when the test is over. If the oil looks milky at any time take your money and run.
    Good Luck

Last edited by ridnwild; 08-19-2011 at 05:04 AM.