The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Small tears are starting.......... (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/5971-small-tears-starting.html)

Paul F 08-01-2011 08:45 PM

Small tears are starting..........

I know it was inevitable because I've seen it on so many Mariahs.

I'm starting to develop cracks on the back of my swim pad!

I really want to preserve my pad, so I've been treating it with vinyl conditioners.

Any suggestions on how to keep the cracks from getting worse?

rajjneef 08-01-2011 10:26 PM

Re: Small tears are starting..........

Well the problem is not with 'so many Mariah's' but rather the sunpad/boat has not been properly protected from the elements or either it has been used so much that all the days on the water have caught up to it. No conditioner is going to stop the cracking. The damage is done and will continue to get worse. You now need to decide how much you can live with before you re-upholster them.

Paul F 08-02-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajjneef (Post 31617)
Well the problem is not with 'so many Mariah's' but rather the sunpad/boat has not been properly protected from the elements or either it has been used so much that all the days on the water have caught up to it. No conditioner is going to stop the cracking. The damage is done and will continue to get worse. You now need to decide how much you can live with before you re-upholster them.

I'm not attacking Mariah's or saying it's a defect. I understand that it's years of use in my case as my boat spends 99% of it's life in a garage even though I use it regularly.

My boat is very well cared for and still looks brand new, by the way...

All I know is have I have looked at many Mariah's for sale online and the swim platform is the first thing to go. The stitching coming loose on the center bow cushion is also common. I was able to get that restitched back to good as new.

It's not really noticeable and I was wondering if a vinyl glue would help keep them from spreading.

mikeyt 08-02-2011 02:25 AM

hi Paul

This issue has come up before. Do a site search (or google search) for a company called 'Fibrenew' or have a look at this sticky posted by WetWilly./

Paul F 08-02-2011 05:02 PM

Thanks, Mikey!

Very impressed with the results I saw and I'm relieved to know there is something that can be done.

The nearest provider is around 2 hours away so I would probably remove the deck and take it to them.

I guess my next question is has anyone removed their sun deck and did they have any problems reattaching?

Paul

rajjneef 08-02-2011 07:26 PM

Isnt that stuff intended to just repair a rip in an otherwise good seat/pad?

Paul F 08-02-2011 07:44 PM

I do have an otherwise good seat. It's not brittle or cracking anywhere except what I mentioned in one spot.

Like I said, my boat is very well maintained.

Hope I'm misreading your posts as they are coming off as you just wanting to start an argument with me for some unknown reason.............

If that's not correct, I apologize in advance.

rajjneef 08-02-2011 07:59 PM

No of course not trying to start an argument. Why would I want to argue about the condition of your vinyl? I was simply stating that if your vinyl is cracking it is due to UV damage and pretty much means it will continue to wear. I struggled with an old Wellcraft with this and replaced those seats with Wise seats. (Which are the worst crap in the world. learned my lesson on those many many years ago.) Good luck with it.

mikeyt 08-02-2011 08:58 PM

Hey Paul

Best of luck with the repair. It might be best to take a few close up photos of the damage & email it to them first. Let us know if they can do anything for you & how it works out.