Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Just finished installing my Smart Tab SX's

Original Mariah Talk

Old 07-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #1

nglauer is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2001
My Model: 180 Diablo
My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one
Gallery Images: 0

Send nglauer:
a Private Message

Default Just finished installing my Smart Tab SX's

Well.. it took me much longer than I expected to install these. I think it's because nothing wanted to cooperate with me lol. The caulk gun broke, I couldn't find a "real" phillips screw driver (just a stubby one), the 3M 5200 marine adhesive/sealant I purchased didn't want to come out of the metal tube..one of the holes I drilled had WATER run out?.. just one hole though.. and very little brownish water... and I found where all the wasps were hiding!

Other than that.. I did get them installed, and they look really cool. The nylon bolts that mount the tabs were a tight fit, and the nuts seemed to be oversized. They fit though, and i'm curious to see what difference these will make. I have them set on the #3 hole (anyone running different on there Diablo etc?

Also... any clue where the water came from? it was just a slight trickle of brownish water.. and it went away. I couldn't find water anywhere in the hull though?

I also had to cut down two of my bunks so that the tabs wouldn't bind (did anyone else do this?)

Should I adjust mine from #3 to something else? I'm running a 14.4"x17P prop on my 2001 Diablo 180 (3.0L)

Pretty excited to get it out tomorrow.. it'll be our first trip. The boat has set all winter, and I hooked it to the muffs and it fired with 2 pumps on the throttle.. and idled super smooth. I was shocked.. I was expecting it to be mad after sitting all winter.. especially with the old gas.

Anyways, Happy 4th to everyone.. and be safe on the water!

Thanks for reading/replying

Nick
Thank you nglauer for this useful post!
tweir (07-22-2011)
  • Old 07-04-2011, 04:54 AM   #2

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Just finished installing my Smart Tab SX's

WOW... JUST WOW... I cannot believe how well these Smart Tabs work, I mean.. I know i've read it a million times online, but seeing is believing.. and now i'm a believer. I can't get over how my boat jumps out of the water, or how I can idle along at a low speed and not fight the steering left to right. Heck, I didn't have to steer most of the way to the dock (which is a packed no wake area). I didn't notice any ill effects when in reverse either. I actually though my boat acted the same, maybe better?

Now it's time to instally my lowrance LST-3800, i'm just not keen on adding more holes into my hull.. or where to mount the transducer/wires.
    Old 07-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #3

darkcalling is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z278 Limited
    My Engine: 502 Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 3

Send darkcalling:
    a Private Message

Good to know and gratz on the successful install been debating myself heard they work wonders just not sure if I wanted smarts or hydraulics yet.
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #4

Luis is currently offline
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: 209 Talari
    My Engine: 5.7L V-8 Mercruiser

Send Luis:
    a Private Message

I have to ask, what are these and what do they do? Specially interested in the better steering at low speeds, I thought it was me.
    Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #5

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    I have to ask, what are these and what do they do? Specially interested in the better steering at low speeds, I thought it was me.
    Do a site search for "Smart Tabs" and you will find numerous threads discussing the benefits of them.
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luis View Post

In one word... they are "AWESOME", hands down the second best boating investment I have ever made (my first being... buying the boat lol)

They look like little plastic wings that attach to the rear of your hull, and work a lot like the ailerons on an airplanes wing (I think). Anyways, they help force the boat onto plane much faster... along with other great benefits. For me they helped improve the handling of my boat. I also noticed improved gas mileage, straight tracking during slow speeds/idling through no wake areas (no cranking left to right on the wheel.. my boat goes straight as an arrow now), better turning (I could be nuts but I don't remember my boat turning this well before), the boat also jumps out of the water without moving passengers around... and stays on plane at lower speeds. I'm 99.9% sure that this saved me nearly a 1/4 tank or more of gas over the weekend! and that was with a tank mixed with fuel stabilizer (which I figured would hurt my mileage some).

Anyways... excellent investment. The benefit of cruising arrow straight out of the marina was enough to make me happy.. as it's a long float out and in.. especially when my boat made me look like a drunk driver lol. Good thing I only pack rootbeer lol. I think it helped the boat on the choppy water too... however I had never had it in choppy water prior to the install.

I snagged mine for under $50.00 in the bargain cave at cabelas, but "in my opinion" are worth more than the asking price online and in catalogs. I would have gladly spent 200.00 for them after seeing the results, so for 129.99 online.. THEY are a BARGAIN.

Good Luck on your search, and keep us posted. Also, if you can't tell.. i'm pretty blown away with mine

Nick
    Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 AM   #7

Luis is currently offline
    My Model: 209 Talari
    My Engine: 5.7L V-8 Mercruiser

Send Luis:
    a Private Message

Thanks Nick, I'll be definitely investing on on these now! Appreciate your comments on it, I did a little research and found them on line. I just got my 96 Mariah and it's an awesome ride! I'm learning more and more about these boats so all the info on the site is much appreciated.
    Old 07-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #8

voodoo is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: Davanti
    My Engine: 5.7

Send voodoo:
    a Private Message

I installed smart tabs on my 16 foot Doral tri hull bowrider and it made me not sell the boat. It planed poorly despite it's heavy bow.
    I guess I could have ordered everyone up front but who wants to do that?
    It only had a Johnny 65 on it but it made it a whole different animal.
    The support I recieved from the factory was top notch. I believe it was the owner of the company who responded to my email questions, and hepled me thru the selection and install.
    If my new to me boat didn't have hydraulic tabs on it now I would certainly think of smart tabs for her.

Last edited by voodoo; 07-09-2011 at 06:11 PM.