The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Alternator issues? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/5546-alternator-issues.html)

bnussbaum 06-02-2011 05:08 PM

Alternator issues?

I finally got to take the boat out for the first trip of the year this year. While I was out, everything worked with no issues. When I trailered the boat and went to lift the hatch to retrieve the boat cover, the hatch wouldn't open all the way. It acted like the battery was dead. I was able to start the boat back up with no issues. I took the boat home and let it sit overnight. The next day i was able to get the hatch up, but it was really slow progress. The battery was just replaced last year, and I had it on a manual charger for a day, and then left it plugged in to the onboard charger for a day. Could I possibly have an issue with the alternator. I looked at all the connections and I don't see any corrosion. I also can't find any issue on the hatch switch. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Shabah 198SE 06-02-2011 08:31 PM

Re: Alternator issues?

bnussbaum,

What voltage are you showing? A charger may not charge a battery if the voltage is too low. If it will start, I would think that it should open the hatch. Have you checked your connections on your hatch motor/switch for being tight?

Shabah 198SE

bnussbaum 06-03-2011 04:01 PM

My volt meter on dash never shows less than 13 while running or just sitting witht the key in the on position. The only time it drops is when i try to open the hatch. The needle nose dives to 9 or so. The hatch does open just real slow. Once the hatch is up I tried starting the motor and it started right up, it didn't act like the battery was low at all. It is almost like the hatch is either sucking alot of power, or it isn't getting enough power. I didn't look that close, but I didn't notice any grease points or anything for performing any type of maintenance. I assume these are hydraulic and wouldn't need grease.

Zackattack 06-03-2011 04:55 PM

Mine have a zirc fitting at the base on the side, and they do need greased. This helped mine in thier speed. There are some pictures on a thread dealing with the lifting rams you can see mine.

How about when the motor is actually running, do they work any faster or slower or the same speed engine running or not?

Shabah 198SE 06-03-2011 06:56 PM

bnussbaum,

I sounds as though you problem may be in the lift mechanism and the grease fittings mentioned by Zackattach are an ideal place to start. I would also check the ground on the motor.

Your problem does not sound alternator related.

This kind of thing makes me happy that my SE is manual. I just have to grit my teeth and lift.

Shabah 198SE

gman 06-05-2011 03:02 AM

your alternator is not the problem. if you are charging 13 volts to 14.5 volts your alt. is working fine. mine were slow until I greased them and still one will travel faster than the other. as they get more use and lubricated better they work more normally.