Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Z302 top speed with 496 Mag/Bravo 3

Original Mariah Talk

Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #11

Firth's Impression is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2001
My Model: Z302ST
My Engine: 8.1L 496 Bravo III
Gallery Images: 0

Send Firth's Impression:
a Private Message

Default Re: Z302 top speed with 496 Mag/Bravo 3

So what pitch were you getting the 53/54mph on? It'll likely be another 4 weeks beforenthe ice is off the lake here (Ontario Canada), so it'll be May before I can get things tested. After doing a bit more research, I think I'm going to give that 4x4 blade configuration by Hill Marine a try. Will keep you posted.

Post some pics your 302 when you have a chance. It would be interesting to see any differences that might exist (ie: grab handles, etc...)

Ciao for now...
  • Old 04-16-2011, 04:08 AM   #12

HogscaldHoller is currently offline
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z302 Shabah
    My Engine: 502Mag MPI B3
    Gallery Images: 0

Send HogscaldHoller:
    a Private Message

This is the topic I was looking for. I hit the rev limiter on my Z302 with 502 Mag MPI B3 and 26 pitch propset fairly easily with a lighter load. I find the boat to be fairly trim sensitive. Note that the microwave, TV, freshwater and sink systems are gone and I try not to carry around too much other extra stuff. Bennet 12 x 16 sport tabs have been a great addtion, albeit a tight fit.
    From what I have been able to determine, swapping in a 28 pitch propset might be just as good as anything, especially versus tuning my 26 set, going to a cupped 26 set, or going to a Bravo 3 XR set with one 4 blade. I don't know anything about other B3 options.
    What I need is to stay off the rev limiter when trying to air it out, but, more importantly, get better midrange cruising speed and mileage, and possibly even better top speed. Hole shot is not a problem.
    I intend to do a GPS speed run in a week or two, and am looking for a regular 28 set to swap out to repeat the GPS run. Either the speedometer lies or the boat is pretty fast already. GPS will tell, and I'lll post results and look for results on other swaps.
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #13

Oregondunes is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Z302 Bow Rider
    My Engine: 7.4 bravo3
    Gallery Images: 36

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firth's Impression View Post
    So what pitch were you getting the 53/54mph on? It'll likely be another 4 weeks beforenthe ice is off the lake here (Ontario Canada), so it'll be May before I can get things tested. After doing a bit more research, I think I'm going to give that 4x4 blade configuration by Hill Marine a try. Will keep you posted.

Post some pics your 302 when you have a chance. It would be interesting to see any differences that might exist (ie: grab handles, etc...)

Ciao for now...
    I was running the 24p bravo 3 merc props that came on it and could hit 5100-5300 with ease no matter what. Kinda scared me a bit running the motor that high, but it didnt seem to mind it.

Ive now installed the 28p bravo 3 merc props and smart tabs, but havent had it in the water just yet to determine the difference.

Here are some pics

Fridge where the TV used to be.

Rearward facing speakers for our floating friends

Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #14

harrisdm is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z302
    My Engine: 502 Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 2

Send harrisdm:
    a Private Message

Hi fifth's impression,
    I have had a 1999 Z302 since new. However it has a 502 mag mpi(425hp) and a bravoIII. The props have 26" pitch and the outdrive is 2.00. When new it would do 55 mph on a full tank with four people. It would do 57 mph with about 70 gallons of gas and one person. However after about 7 years and 200 hours the speed began to decline until it was down to 47 mph. However my RPM also dropped off to 4600rpm at WOT. (Yours didn't?) I found several problems over the years each had some impact. First be sure to check the bilge. The Z302/300s have a false bottom below the bottom under your engine-which appears to be the bilge. It holds about 20 gallons of water without showing in bilge area. That 20 gallons on a full gas tank really bogs it down. . I have also had low fuel pump pressure, a faulty knock sensor which will retard your ignition, and a hook on the boat bottom (a slight arch from the transom to about 18 inches forward of the transom). I had all these problems at once which built up over time. The hook had a 4 mph impact. It essentially forces the nose down as if the trim tabs were down. It was caused by the trailer bunks not going all the way to the transom and partially by arching bunks. After I repaired all those issues it began slowing again last summer(280 hours). This time it was bad valve springs which are a common problem on older GM big blocks. I have not gotten it back in the water since but hope to have it in by mid-march. One more consideration- if the boat sat for a long time your compression rings could be stuck causing it too loose compression. Adding Seafoam in the carburetor can hurt. The only way to be sure of valves and ring condition is to do a compression check.
    It does seem strange that you are only getting 50 mph at 5000RPM with a 26" pitch prop-- unless your outdrive is trimmed out too much and the prop is cavitating. I find that I am at optimal plain when the spray is coming from a point on the bottom edge directly below where your bimini top fastens to the aft windshield frame bracket.
    I have performance curves(speed vs rpm) for my boat if you want them and I also made a curve of the gas volume that tells you how much gas is in the Z302 tank versus gas gage indication. I was very surprised to see how much less it holds on the last half-tank of gas.
    Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #15

Find me on the Map

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harrisdm View Post
    The Z302/300s have a false bottom below the bottom under your engine-which appears to be the bilge. It holds about 20 gallons of water without showing in bilge area. That 20 gallons on a full gas tank really bogs it down.
    How do you get that 20 gallons out ? Does it drain completely when you pull the brass plug ?
    Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #16

Boatcrazy is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Engine: 502 MPI / Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 548

Send Boatcrazy:
    a Private Message

I am pretty close to wrapping things up on my Z302 and hopefully she will see the water sometime in the middle to end of May. Engine going back in this weekend if work does not call.

I can recall when all was good running with my boat that she never really broke free from the drag of the water and most of the time it seemed to ride from midship back at full trim and never really was able to loosen up to gain more speed. I brought a handheld GPS along on one of my trips and the fastest she would go was 57 mph at 5200 rpm and at was running a set of 28P Bravo Three's. I have a picture that a friend took of my boat running at speed and remember by looking at the picture a good portion of the boat was still in the water while trimmed out which equates to a slower speed. I am going to check the hook on my bottom before I drop her back in the water and will take pictures detailing the hook or lack of one. The Z302 is not a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination but is able to handle a lot of different conditions while running at those higher speeds.
    Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #17

harrisdm is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Engine: 502 Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 2

Send harrisdm:
    a Private Message

Hi oregondunes, Yes it drains completly when you pull the plug. But the void behind the hole can accumulate junk from the bilge and all the other drains in the boat. So I occasionaly push a bottle brush in the hole and pull out junk.
    Old 04-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #18

Find me on the Map

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harrisdm View Post
    Hi oregondunes, Yes it drains completly when you pull the plug. But the void behind the hole can accumulate junk from the bilge and all the other drains in the boat. So I occasionaly push a bottle brush in the hole and pull out junk.

That makes sense to me now. I looked in the engine bay the first time out of the water and there was nothing there. But yet when I trailer-ed it up out away from the ramp and pulled the plug, another gallon or five came out. Wondered where that had come from.

Mt boat sits on a trailer all the time now and lives indoors. I did notice the first couple of trips last fall misc small stuff would come out. I wonder if you remove the mid cabin floor hatch you could spray water that way and "flush it out" better should there be stuff lodged in that area.

Im picking my boat up from the shop today. I had all the nicks and dings repaired in the gel coat and then off for canvas replacement.

My graphics guys were hot on it yesterday taking measurements and looking at my ideas. I should have a mock up next week.
    Old 04-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #19

Boatcrazy is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Engine: 502 MPI / Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 548

Send Boatcrazy:
    a Private Message

This is what I found in the pipe and under the cabin floor leading to the bilge while cleaning out my boat after purchasing my Z302.

http://www.mariahownersclub.com/foru...0_dsc00017.jpg