The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Grey Hull? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/5185-grey-hull.html)

Zackattack 02-20-2011 06:40 AM

Grey Hull?

I have looked at many Mariahs and have not yet seen another with a grey hull color like mine. Is there anyone else out there? I would love to see your pictures, and if not, does anyone know why this was so unique? I love the color combo, I am just curious why they didn't try it more.

Sorry to post such trivial topic, but that's what winter does to us.

Zackattack 02-22-2011 04:43 AM

Re: Grey Hull?

Okay, I think I figured it out. Is it that the colored hulls(Red, Black and apparently grey,) are what they referred to as limiteds? I can see that in the references for the red and black ones, I just figured there were more grey ones out there. Anyone have any idea how many of these were actually produced? And were there only these three colors?

Dredd 02-22-2011 03:52 PM

I'm surprised nobody has replied to this. Yours is the only gray one I've seen but there are definately some rare ones, such as Purple_Shabah's purple one and this blue one. There are also a couple yellow ones in our 2001 gallery.

ShabahZ280 02-22-2011 05:37 PM

The "Limited Edition" models are the only single colored gelcoat hulls Mariah made, and you had to pay the Limited Edition premium for these. The gray color was an optional color from '93-'95 and I'm guessing many people just didn't go for it. Which makes yours a bit more rare. If you give me some time I can try and find the original production numbers...

Zackattack 02-22-2011 06:11 PM

Whatever time you need, I gonna keep her til I die I hope.

I have been doing research in the Gallery and have found these year and color options.

94 - Grey Z212
96- Blue Z212
97- Red Z210
98- Black Z246
98- Black Z211
98- Black Z202
98- Red Z300 - Even though this one is in the 98 category, I think it may be a 99 since it is the Viper red
99- Red Z302
00- Green 180LE
00- Green Z250 - This one has Limited edition actually in the graphics on side of vessel
00- White? Z250 - This one is labeled as a Limited, although it looks white, maybe there are other qualities that make it an LE?

01- Yellow Z212 - This one also says Limited on Trailer graphics
01- Yellow Z250
01- Red Z250 - This is JJ's Shabah Z250, does it belong in this year? It may be a 98 or 99 model year?
01- Yellow Z202
01- White Z302 - This one also says it is a Limited although the Hull color seems standard there must be other qualities of the boat that make it a Limited.

I had no idea that my boat was so unique til I started investigating these. The original owner had said that my grey 94 had been the boat that Mariah chose to debut at the Seattle Boat show that year. So likely they were trying to encourage them, although they were not well recieved(possibly because of cost). Those red and Yellow ones from 99, and 01 are amazing.

These sure are unique and beautiful.

If anyone has any other details on the Limited Editions, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Zackattack 02-22-2011 06:17 PM

I was wrong about the Purple it seems that that WAS an actual gelcoat option! Not just graphics. Mariah sure went all out on what they offered

Dredd 02-22-2011 07:44 PM

So the purple one is painted?

Edit: Doesn't sound like it from the fact that it only had 100 hours when he got it and is only on its second owner. I was just pointing out that there are some rare colors out there... not necessarily just rare 'base' colors.

ShabahZ280 02-24-2011 06:43 PM

OK Here is the info I gathered for zackattack, just to share with any other Opal hull owners.

The first use of the "Opal" color designation was 6/22/93. It was used in a Z202 Shabah which used Opal as the main hull color, and Wine and Dove as the other colors. This boat was created for the 1994 Dealer Meeting. There was another Z202 with Opal, Wine and Rose, and a Z220 with Opal and Iris that were made for the 94 Dealer Meeting. I'm assuming this was the "official launch" of the new hull color. The last boat that was produced using Opal as the main hull color was on 6/17/94. They switched gelcoats and began using the newer "pewter" color in it's place. The next appearance of the Opal gelcoat was 8/22/94, and from there on out, it was only available as an optional accent color until it was phased out.

Here's some figures. From 6/22/93 to 6/17/94, there were a total of 53 boats produced with the Opal gelcoat hull. Here's the breakdown.

3 Z192 Barchettas
1 Z200 Talari
6 Z202 Shabahs
21 Z212 Shabahs
7 Z220 Talaris
5 Z225 Davantis
2 Z235 Davantis
5 Z240 Talaris
3 Z241 Davantis

The most popular color combinations are:
Opal-Wine-Rose
Opal-Iris-Rose
Opal-Iris
Opal-Black

So overall, Zackattack's is one of 53 total, 1 of the 21 produced in the Z212 Shabah line, and one of 3 that were made with that specific color combination of Opal and Red. Basically, his is 1 of 3 that were ever made!

This should make you feel like you know your boat a little better! Gives a whole new light to it, right? Now I just need to get my eyes back to normal, staring at those hundreds of pages of build sheets for the last two days has made them go a little nuts... :D

indykoch 02-24-2011 06:53 PM

So all of the "opal" base coats were "Z" models? I thought we identified zackattack's as an "LE" since it didn't have the transom tilt switch?

Either way, that's a pretty rare boat, and looks great! I'm surprised it never "took off" or other boat manufacturers don't use it. I know Stingray does/did a full hull gray, but that's all I know of.

Zackattack 02-24-2011 07:29 PM

I dont think there is a clear distinction between the Limiteds and the Z series. Mine is labeled a Z212, but is not labeled Limited. It has most of the Z options, defogger, wiper, docking light(plastic though), power seat and transom cover, breaker panel and some other Z items but now that I know there was a transom mounted tltl switch I want one.

Thanks for all the research, one thing is for sure, Mariah went through alot of experimental things such as this to see what the market would bear. And at the same time never allowed thier quality level to be compromised. Thanks too for the positive comments about the color combo, I agree I just wish I could see it as much on the water as I do in my garage.