Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

value of my boat?

Original Mariah Talk

Old 11-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #1

nglauer is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2001
My Model: 180 Diablo
My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one
Gallery Images: 0

Send nglauer:
a Private Message

Default value of my boat?

I was curious... what would a 2001 Mariah Diablo 18.5ft 3.0L be worth?

I believe the motor has under 200 hours (estimate based on the PO and myself) It has a completely new lower unit and prop. Interior looks brand new. Also have the original convertible top and cover. I have all records of maintenace from the day it was purchased, along with all original books/etc.

I don't want to sell the boat, but may need to sell it this spring. It has been winterized and is in dry storage.

Only know flaws.. wheels have minor rust (very little about a quarter size near the modular seem).

Trailer has slight rust around the diamond plate step mounting points

boat has lexan driverside windshield (factory glass was broken years ago) but it matches very well and no one really notices unless it is pointed out to them.

Gel coat has a 1" long surface crack by the windshield frame. I was told it was caused when the windshield broke (small tree limb fell on the boat and broke the glass and made this minor crack, which is only in the surface of the gel coat). I was able to disquise it completely with nail polish (I was told this was the best cosmetic fix?)

Other than that it runs really well and I have upgraded the factory cassette with a JVC am/fm CD player.

Just gauging idea's on the value as this boat has been very well maintained, stored indoors, and has low hours. Includes all original items and many extras (numerous obrien life jackets, safety equipment, etc.)

Trailer tires are in perfect condition (not checked from the sunlight). trailer also has excellent working surge brakes.

Thanks again, don't want to sell.. and may not sell. I'm just worried that my new job will keep me from taking my family out on it. Then again, I guess it'll just continue to stay like new if I don't use it (which is what the PO pretty much did). He bought it in 2002 and him and his wife used it very little, yet took it every summer and every winter to their local mercruiser mechanic to maintain it.. regardless of how much they ran it.

kind regards,
Nicholas
  • Old 11-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #2

bbrophy58 is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: 182 shabah
    My Engine: 4.3 alpha 1

Send bbrophy58:
    a Private Message

Default Re: value of my boat?

I would say that here in Massachusetts your boat would sell for about $7,000. I would ask for $7,900 and allow for a little haggling. It would see quickly at that price and be fair in today's market.
    Old 11-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #3

Dredd is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: MX-19 - Sold
    My Engine: 4.3

Send Dredd:
    a Private Message

Just a little lower than that here in the Midwest. Being an 18er with the 3 liter I would see it listed around 6. I would try to market it on the 3.0's economics. Gas was $2.79 here last week.
    Old 11-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I wasn't really sure what it was worth. This may sound silly, but I advertised it for $10,500 (i figured I'd go big over the summer) and had quite a few bites, even one that would have bought it... however my wife made me retract my ad. The couple that wanted to buy it didn't really haggle on price, but I planned on dropping it as low as 8500.00. I know they were serious because I know them.

It also comes with some extra's such as a spare prop, battery charger, optima battery, depth finder, custom rugs to protect the carpet, tube (never used) and plenty of specialty wax and cleaners. I've just been shocked at how the prices go online. I've seen similar Diablo's go for 5500-12,000? which I think is to high. $10,500 is probably way to high, but the boat is nearly new with the limited use it received from 2002 to now. Living in Ohio really limits your ability to put in the hours lol.

I plan on doing some touch up work on the trailer this summer, so it will look like new. I've also been considering swapping to aluminum wheels so it should look great when I am finished.

The boat doesn't need anything, but I plan on fixing the small 1" long spot on the gel coat. My buddy has a body shop and i'm going to have him fix it while I work on the trailer. As for the glass... the lexan works great.. but i'd like to find glass. If I can find that i'll buy it too.

I also plan on adding an extra set of speakers (I swapped the two factory units for a nice set of Polk DB components already). I also have an Alpine Amp and Sub that I will be installing this summer. Along with some smart tabs.

I doubt any of that will effect value, but it might interest other folks... or the couple that wanted it this summer.

Thanks again,
    Nick

p.s. Has anyone seen the red mariah ski boat on ebay? it's a 3.0... but has a closed bow? yet it's not a cuddy. I love the look of it.. but it's rough. I suppose with some work and a great upholstery shop it could look like new again.

Your also right about the economy of the 3.0, I can keep up with any boat in the 30-45 mph range (based off my speedo), and it is soooo good on gas. I bet we ran a total of 4 tanks of gas this summer? I'd loved to have used the boat more... but we could spend a whole weekend on 1/2 a tank.
    Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #5

Dredd is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: MX-19 - Sold

Send Dredd:
    a Private Message

Someone posted a link to the red Mariah here. I wouldn't want a closed bow but I do like it, since it's red.

I don't know which is cooler.. your having serious buyers at that price or your wife not letting you sell.
    Old 11-21-2010, 02:38 AM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

She still gives me heck for buying it, but I told her that it was an investment. It just happened to be an investment that I didn't involve her in until she asked me why I was putting a hitch on her Chevrolet Equinox lol. She was really ticked because the conversation the day before went like this.

Me: I found a good deal on a boat in Jackson Ohio while I was passing through for work, I want to call the mechanic that worked on it and see what he can tell me about it.

Wife: Why? you are not getting that boat. We don't need a boat, and we don't have a way to pull one anyways.

Me: Well... I hate to pass up such a good deal....

Wife: you buy that boat and I swear I will divorce you !

Sooooo the next day I call the mechanic... walking that fine line of divorce, he tells me to avoid that boat and never look at it again.. that it's a basket case of junk and he doesn't want to work on it anymore (it looked nice, but needed lots of love.. plus it wasn't a Mariah it was a Marada). Before I hung up the phone he told me about a customer that just picked his boat up from the shop a few minutes ago. The owner mentioned that he might sell it since they only take it out 2-3 times a year max, and had missed a season or two completely.

I figured I better call this guy since the boat wasn't technically advertised for sale and see what it looked like. I literally pulled in his driveway right behind him with the boat in tow. He was shocked that the mechanic found someone interested so fast... and I figured I better buy this one (my Mariah Diablo) because my wife explicitly forbid me from buying that OTHER boat. So I caught the guy at the right time.. he hadn't thought about a price yet... so I made an offer, he said yes... and I said i'll be back in a few. "I have to go buy a hitch and get money from the bank". I returned home with the money and a hitch.. and started installing the hitch in the driveway.. at which point the wife realized I was up to something.

I was in alot of trouble until she finally got to ride in it about a week after I picked it up. The first week of ownership was torture.. couldn't go on the water because I didn't have lifejackets for our kids, and it was raining... thankfully the weather broke and she got to enjoy it. I've advertised it a few times thinking i'd sell it, as I bought it to enjoy, and eventually flip for a larger cuddy boat. The first time I listed it forsale someone called and she told them it wasn't available anymore lol. The second time I listed it the couple I know came to look at it, they would have bought it... but again the wife interjected and made a big deal out of selling it. It's like a catch 22... she still complains that I bought it, yet she complains more when i mention selling it? Ironically she just asked me what I was doing (she's on her netbook across from me). I told her I was selling the boat online lol.. and she just threw the couch pillow at me bwahahaha.

Thanks again for the help. I have a feeling we'll have this one for a few more seasons... even if I don't have the free time to take it out like i'd like too.

Nick
    Old 11-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #7

scubydo is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: 200

Send scubydo:
    a Private Message

I'd say you have her hooked. Thanks for the laughs, I have tears rolling out of my eyes.