The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   How do you fold down back to back seats??? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/5002-how-do-you-fold-down-back-back-seats.html)

scubydo 10-23-2010 02:43 AM

How do you fold down back to back seats???

I've tried everything I can think of to fold down the back to back seats, but they wont lay flat. I wonder if the Previous owner did something when he had them re upholstered. There is a handle on the front side that lets them slide forward and backwards, but they wont lay down????

Thanks for any help.

mikeyt 10-23-2010 03:02 AM

Re: How do you fold down back to back seats???

When all else fails, read the manual. ;) If i remember right, the instructions for the back to back seats are on page 101.
Be forewarned though, age and lack of use make them very stiff to open. Once you do, take the time to lubricate the hinges underneath.

Dredd 10-25-2010 07:54 PM

It "takes some practice," iirc. :)
Really though, once you do get them open take a look in there so you can understand how they work.. that helps quite a bit.

DKM187 11-15-2010 02:48 AM

There are two tabs on the top of the rails inside the seat frames that are holding the two seats back to back. Its a little awkward to reach up from the side to release. They can also be released from raising the bottom cushion of either seat. On my seats I made a cable that attaches to the end of the tab and runs up to the top of the seat back, now I just pull up on the two cables (with rings on the end to hold on to) and the seats release and lay flat. Hope this is helpful. Once you lift up the bottom cushion and take a peek inside you'll see exactly how the tab on one seat latches over a allen-head on the other seat.

Jason

nglauer 11-18-2010 01:57 AM

If it makes you feel any better I haven't completely figured mine out. I noticed the track bolts had backed out some from the wood.. allowing some play on mine as well. I tightened them up and lubricated everything. Once I figured out how to lay them down... hooking them back up was the difficult part. I have one side where the tab grabs, the other side... not so much. Mine acts as if the seat backs are to thick... or the tabs are not long enough. I haven't taken it apart to inspect... but I figure it's an easy fix once I put some time into it. Good luck, Nick

scubydo 11-18-2010 03:41 AM

I played with mine today. Still can't get them to lay flat. I'm just worried about putting too much muscle into it out of fear of breaking something. I guess I'm just going to go for it.

nglauer 11-18-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubydo (Post 26828)
I played with mine today. Still can't get them to lay flat. I'm just worried about putting too much muscle into it out of fear of breaking something. I guess I'm just going to go for it.

Can you see anything with a flashlight? could one of the tabs still be holding (one of mine never releases without a fight). Could the previous owner have placed something under the seat that is now stuck?

Good luck.. keep us posted. I rarely put mine down because they are a pain in the @ss... and a pain to get them latched back. However, I bought mine off the original owner.. and he told me they folded them down once, and that was at the dealership during a demonstration. They never used it, or the top... it was still wrapped up.

Nick

Dredd 11-18-2010 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The PO on my boat didn't even know they laid flat.

OK, here's a crude drawing of how it works.

The straps with the ramps on the ends are hooked over the red nipples. The straps are attached to the seat.
The gray things in the drawing are just the tracks for the straps.
So, you have to rock the seat up high enough to get the straps unhooked.

Also, on mine the nipples are towards the stern on the port side, and towards the bow on the starbird side. In other words, it's all mirrored. I'm not sure if they're all this way or not but it sure does make it easier when you remember which is which direction.

Hope my Crayola drawing is of some help.

wcso909 11-21-2010 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 26523)
When all else fails, read the manual. ;) If i remember right, the instructions for the back to back seats are on page 101.
Be forewarned though, age and lack of use make them very stiff to open. Once you do, take the time to lubricate the hinges underneath.

MikeyT, Which manual are you referencing here? Are you talking about the owner's manuals posted on here?

Thanks in advance