The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Starter problem on 180 Shabbah (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4985-starter-problem-180-shabbah.html)

RichB 10-17-2010 07:57 PM

Starter problem on 180 Shabbah

Hi Chaps,

Thought I'd share with you this little problem I have been having...

Late 90's 180SE.

Trying to start up, I hear the starter motor whirr, but no engine turning over. Guessing the starter motor not engaged. :confused:

Anyhow, I think I found the problem after stripping off the starter motor...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/...b671a2737c.jpg
Mariah Starter Motor by bennett_rg, on Flickr

Anyone have any idea what might have caused this? I think a chunk of the casing is still inside the engine somewhere, fetching that out is my next job! The whole side of the cast aluminium cover on the starter motor is all cracked, and if you look carefully you can see where something has gouged lumps out of the casing! Looks like a sharks been at it! :rolling_laugh:

Paul F 10-18-2010 03:56 PM

Re: Starter problem on 180 Shabbah

REALLY Hope I'm wrong.

Better pull the head and make sure that there's not water in the engine. A hydrolocked engine will tear up a starter in no time.

RichB 10-18-2010 04:18 PM

Hydrolocked... that sounds bad :eek_animated:

Paul F 10-18-2010 04:38 PM

Like I said, I didnt want to alarm you, but I read on another site about a boat owner whose starter broke some teeth, mechanic replaced the starter, THEN found out there was water in the cylinders.

It's caused when water gets past the flaps on the exhaust. Usually happens on a sudden shut down or sitting on the beach and taking a large wave to the transom.

It can bad, but not always. Get someone to look at it right away as rust could become an issue.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Dutch180SE 10-18-2010 04:40 PM

Hydrolock (a shorthand notation for either hydraulic lock or hydrostatic lock) is an abnormal condition of an internal combustion engine in which an incompressible liquid, commonly water, has been introduced into one or more cylinders, causing immobilization or damage. Hydrolock can occur because an internal combustion engine must compress a volume of gas in order to operate, while most common liquids that could enter an internal combustion engine do not compress. If liquid is introduced at a volume greater than the volume of the combustion chamber at its minimum (top of the piston's stroke), the piston cannot complete its travel. Either the engine must stop rotating or a mechanical failure will occur.

If a cylinder fills with liquid while the engine is turned off :eek_animated:, the engine will refuse to turn when a starting cycle is attempted. Since the starter mechanism's torque is normally much lower than the engine's operating torque, this will usually not produce damage as long as the operator does not continue with the attempt...

maybe this is occured ??

RichB 10-18-2010 07:00 PM

Thanks chaps, will make sure that's checked!

Fingers crossed...

Rich

domraga 10-18-2010 08:45 PM

Hi Rich, fit a new starter (try repowermarine.co.uk) take out your plugs and try to crank, any water will be pushed out of the block by the pistons. If you can, check inside the cylinders with a boroscope / torch to see if there is ay corrosion. If there is, chances of water in the cylinder is high. If there is any of the casing of the last starter, it could be behind the bellhousing, so unfortunately to remove this is an engine out job unless you can remove the shroud on the forward side of the bellhousing to see inside. Also, if you are in any doubt about water getting into the cylinders, the number one cause will be riser gaskets or corroded risers themselves, particularly if the boat has been in salt water. If you manage to escape by finding no water in the cylinders, change the riser gaskets and inspect the risers, it will put your mind at rest. I've just spent 8 months building a new 5.7L engine after freeze damage to my 5.0L last winter. Thankfully its all ok now, but I learned much about thee engines and know of some good people around the Thames area who can help if you run into trouble. Ive PM'd my number, if you want to call me I'd be more than happy to guide you thru a few simple checks.

RichB 10-18-2010 10:13 PM

Cheers Dom, may take you up on that :)