The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Deck flooring on a 1994 Davanti? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4956-deck-flooring-1994-davanti.html)

sanukc 10-10-2010 05:18 PM

Deck flooring on a 1994 Davanti?

Does anyone know if a 94 Davanti had marine plywood deck flooring under the carpet or fiberglass? Is there wood in the transom either? What parts are susceptible for wood rot?

sanukc 10-12-2010 06:21 PM

Re: Deck flooring on a 1994 Davanti?

Anybody? Anything?

simpleaz 10-13-2010 05:42 AM

not certain but for the year I am sure it is wood. search some and you will find some photos of a few

sanukc 10-13-2010 03:55 PM

How suceptible to wood rot is the decking of a 94 Mariah? The boat I am looking at is extremely well cared for. The owner has the boat in storage 8 months of the year and has taken good care of it. I am just wondering because of the wood floor, if I should run away from the boat? The boat and engine has like 300 hours on it and is in great condition as far as I can see.

skiater 10-13-2010 04:39 PM

Sounds like the boat you are looking at is in very good condition, should not be any issues with wood rot.
Take a look in the promotional brochures section of the forum, the 1994 catalogue is in there.
There is a cross-sectional view of the laminate construction, also details the type of superior, (rot resistant) wood that was used for construction.
I believe there are some posts on hull blistering reported on boats from this era which you should read, try using the search function.

Captain Steve 10-16-2010 02:48 AM

The carpeted deck in my 1997 looks to be built from treated plywood. At the drain hole through the transom I also see what looks like treated plywood. I don't believe it is susceptible to rot. A neighbor of mine recently restored a small tri-hull. Its transom was not only rotten, it had carpenter ants nesting in it. He had to re-wood the transom and lay and glass-in new stringers as well.

dlowings 10-30-2010 09:38 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all these are wood floors that are covered in a coat of fiberglass.. Then the marine carpet goes over the top of that... The fiberglass coated wood ties directly to the stringers no?

845paulg 11-02-2010 08:30 PM

Yes its wood. I just redid my floor in a 1996 Z 272. The wood is 7 ply 3/4 inch Marine grade pressure treated plywood. I replaced with 12 ply marine grade plywood at 110 dollars a sheet!!! My boat was negleted though. If your boat was cared for and kept covered (dry). Your floor should be fine. Standard from mariah factory, the floor should be fiberglassed with the exception of the panel that covers the gas tank. I re-glassed over everything, including doulbe wrapping angle chages and the plywood seams which was not necessary at all. Also, with the exception of the centergas tank and ski locker, all compartments are spray foamed wich was a nice surprise.
Hope this helps. Paul

dlowings 11-02-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845paulg (Post 26680)
Yes its wood. I just redid my floor in a 1996 Z 272. The wood is 7 ply 3/4 inch Marine grade pressure treated plywood. I replaced with 12 ply marine grade plywood at 110 dollars a sheet!!! My boat was negleted though. If your boat was cared for and kept covered (dry). Your floor should be fine. Standard from mariah factory, the floor should be fiberglassed with the exception of the panel that covers the gas tank. I re-glassed over everything, including doulbe wrapping angle chages and the plywood seams which was not necessary at all.
Hope this helps. Paul

Any pics by any chance?