Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

2000 Mariah z212

Original Mariah Talk

Old 11-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #1

dieselwiezil is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Model: 2000 Mariah 212 5.7V8 Mercruiser Alpha I 21p mirage plus 48-13702
Gallery Images: 0

Send dieselwiezil:
a Private Message

Smile 2000 Mariah z212

or is it just 212?

Good to find this message board! Im semi-new to boating, this summer was my first boat purchase and it was an older boat, so now im ready to trade up to a newer, nicer boat. I’m looking at a red and white 2000 Mariah 212. The 5.7 mercruiser is still all black and looks brand new. The unit has 73 total hours and looks like its in GREAT shape. Im semi-new to boating, this summer was my first boat purchase and it was an older boat, so now im ready to trade up to a newer, nicer boat. There are some small dock rub marks on the sides. The lower unit has just had a complete service and new U joints in the drive done by a dealer. The boat has a bimini top that’s stored under the engine hatch. The trailer is a steel one, but its in immaculate condition with brand new tires and wheels beautiful red paint.

Pictures here: http://rides.webshots.com/album/561408477WZINNv

What would something like this be worth?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Last edited by dieselwiezil; 11-11-2007 at 11:52 PM.
  • Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #2

indykoch is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 18

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

Hey Jeff!

Nice find on a nice boat! I have a '99 Z212 and LOVE it! Looks like a really fine specimen! 73 hours is really low, that's a great find!

I can tell you it's not the "Z" package, but a great boat no less. The Z package includes gadgets like docking lights, electric engine hatch, power seat, power stern light, etc. You can check NADA for the value, but that isn't always the best figure (doesn't take time of year or geographic info into account). I would guess somewhere in the $15k-$17k range with trailer would make it a great buy (maybe more with the extremely low hours).

Keep us posted on what you decide. You can check out my "owner's review" of my boat on this site to read about my thoughts on that particular boat. Good luck!
    Currently - '07 Ebbtide 2600 CBR
    Old 11-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send dieselwiezil:
    a Private Message

well Its in pretty good condition. Thanks for your help!! I offered the guy $12500 and he said he would take it. I just dont want to loose any money, and I really think in this case I wont. How does the alpha 1 hold up?
    Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #4

97 Z222 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 97 Z222 Shabah,7.4L carb, Bravo I 21p stainless 3 blade prop

Send 97 Z222:
    a Private Message

$12,500 for a 2000 with 73hrs? That's a steal!!! Make sure you have it checked out. Maybe I'm a way off base, but that low of a price, would put up a warning flag for me. If it checks out o.k. that's a HUGE find. Keep us posted.
    Old 11-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #5

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

Yeah, 12,500 is a steal...

The 5.7L alpha1 is a good combo for a boat that size, and it's solid in terms of reliability.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!
    Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 AM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send dieselwiezil:
    a Private Message

I didnt get a really close look but, it looked like this boat is carburated. Now it very well could be fuel injected like the mid 90 chevy pickups. Other than getting the hull ID number run, what else needs to be checked out?

Last edited by dieselwiezil; 11-13-2007 at 04:46 AM.
    Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #7

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

I don't know when Merc. went to FI on the 5.7L My '95 is carburated.

4 big barrels to stare down when you pull off the flame arrestor...

You might use some of the money you saved to have it surveyed. But if the hour meter is accurate, I really doubt it would be worth the money.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!
    Old 11-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #8

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

A Marine Survey would probably run you around $300, and they usually aren't required for boats under 26', but it would give you complete peace of mind that you're not buying a lemon.

The 5.7L could very well be carburated, fuel injection was (and still is) an option on the mercruiser powerplants. You could go to your local Sea Ray dealer and buy a brand new boat that still has a carbed engine. it's hard to believe they still use that technology, but it is pretty tried and true. I believe the Z-package came with fuel injected engines.

Oh, and don't worry about the dock marks, they'll come off with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I use them, and so do the majority of our members. There's a thread on it in our General Maintenance section!

I would say, if the boat has recently been serviced, and if the hours are true, you should sign on that deal!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 PM   #9
    efo

efo is currently offline
    Find me on the Map

Send efo:
    a Private Message

My 96 shabah has the 5.7L "magnum" four barrel (non-fuel injected) 200 hrs.

I feel like I got a good deal at $9500.00, except no pre-purchase survey. Which completed after the fact cost me an additional $2500.00 for exhaust risers and headers. Plus some other smaller things like complete fluid change, impeller in the foot, new battery and the like. Not sure about the 2000's but this particular model had stainless risers and cast headers. Which my mech stated was a standard, but poor design as the two different materials expand and contract at different rates which leads to seal damage / leaks.

These leaks can lead to valve problems or worse if not addressed. Water in the cylinder = bad juju

I would strongly suggest a survey and demand a compression test as again these models if ran at the rpm max and elevated temps can have severe costly issues on the top end of the motor. My buddies boat (same engine) sounded normal, but just didn't seem to get out of the hole. A compression test showed two dead cylinders and 3500.00 repair.

Easy things to evaluate are the bellows and the steering linkages, if you can by hand move the outdrive side to side without seeing the steering wheel moving you have issues as well. The bellows should show no dry rot or cracks.

I got lucky in my opinion and got a great boat for a good price even with the additional unexpected cost. If the boat is clean at that price (depending upon your situation) an additional couple of "g's" for getting her up to speed sounds like a good deal...

Best of luck...Keep us posted!!

Chad
    Old 11-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #10

MariahMan is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 252 Shabah
    My Engine: Volvo Penta 5.7GXi, DP
    Gallery Images: 211

Send MariahMan:
    a Private Message

Great comments and advice from everyone. A survey would probably be a good idea especially if the guy was quick to take $12,500 and the boat is worth more. I only have one little thing to add...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dieselwiezil View Post
    I didnt get a really close look but, it looked like this boat is carburated. Now it very well could be fuel injected like the mid 90 chevy pickups. Other than getting the hull ID number run, what else needs to be checked out?
    Since it's a 2000, i would bet that in fact that motor is fuel injected via throttle body injection. At first glance it's pretty easy to think that it's a carburator on there but upon closer inspection you may find that it's in fact throttle body injection. From the outside, the carburator and throttle body housing look almost identical. I would be surprised if a 2000 model year boat, probably 1999 model year engine was carburated. Even at that point companies were already switching over to the more reliable and economic fuel injection.

When we first go our boat i thought it was carburated. I was working on a project at some point and was flipping through the service manual and decided to look up the specs on the motor. Turns out it was throttle body injected. I immediatly jumped in the boat and pullled off the cover over the top of the throttle body and the flame arrestor and to my surprise it was in fact throttle body injected and i could see the 2 injectors.

Just something to keep in mind. May want to check that out. Even though boats don't have the issue with elevation changes screwing up the idle, fuel injection is pretty nice when you are WOT'ing an already gas guzzling v8. Every little bit counts so fuel injection is nice to have in that respect. We do have the service manuals available if you become a contributor and you could find out for sure!

ThunderShark Web Solutions
    PM or email me if you need hosting or community support.

Last edited by MariahMan; 11-15-2007 at 03:49 PM.