The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Alarm (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4793-alarm.html)

Shabah 198SE 08-26-2010 11:28 PM

Alarm

Can the brain shattering alarm that sounds when the key is turned on be eliminated on my 1997 198SE Shabah (Mercruiser 5.7 Litre - 2 Barrel)?

Shabah 198SE

SEMIJim 08-26-2010 11:33 PM

Re: Alarm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabah 198SE (Post 25413)
Can the brain shattering alarm that sounds when the key is turned on be eliminated on my 1997 198SE Shabah (Mercruiser 5.7 Litre - 2 Barrel)?

If you "pump" the accelerator two-three times and get her started right up, it shouldn't sound at all, or, at least, not for very long. Ours has a 10-15 second delay, and I rarely hear it come on. If it does: I just turn the key off so I get another 10-15 seconds of grace :).

Jim

Shabah 198SE 08-27-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 25414)
If you "pump" the accelerator two-three times and get her started right up, it shouldn't sound at all, or, at least, not for very long. Ours has a 10-15 second delay, and I rarely hear it come on. If it does: I just turn the key off so I get another 10-15 seconds of grace :).

Jim

SEMIJim,

Thanks for your reply. I will give that a try.

I was just checking things over yesterday for today's launch and I turned the key on. It scared the crap out of me. The shifter is in the forword position as it was when I trailered it home. Maybe it doesn't like that.

Is that a Mariah alarm or a Mercury alarm?

Shabah 198SE

ShabahZ280 08-27-2010 11:48 AM

That's a Mercruiser alarm. Yes, it is annoying, but it's there for a reason, to warn you of three different things, low oil pressure, low gear lube, and high engine temperature. If your alarm is sounding, after the initial start up, it's one of those 3 things, and I recommend getting the engine checked out by a Mercruiser service facility. When I first bought mine, I kept wondering why every other boat had the initial start up alarm and mine didn't. Did some snooping around behind the dash and found the previous owner had disconnected the alarm. Not cool... When I reconnected it, the alarm went off consistently until I had the engine fixed... Turns out it was the gear lube reservoir sensor, which seems to be a common issue. Replaced the reservoir and sensor, and haven't had any troubles since!

SEMIJim 08-27-2010 11:53 AM

I don't know as one would call it a "Mariah alarm" or a "Mercury alarm." The sensors are all put there by MerCruiser, and the alarm module and wiring were put there by Mariah. So I guess it's a "Mariah/MerCruiser alarm" :)

Three things are monitored: Outdrive lube level, engine temperature and oil pressure. It's the latter that causes the alarm to sound when you first start the engine--until the oil pressure comes up.

The position of the shifter is inconsequential.

Be glad your alarm is working. It may save you some expensive damage, some day. Original owner of our boat, I assume, had disconnected ours.

Jim

Shabah 198SE 08-27-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 (Post 25428)
That's a Mercruiser alarm. Yes, it is annoying, but it's there for a reason, to warn you of three different things, low oil pressure, low gear lube, and high engine temperature. If your alarm is sounding, after the initial start up, it's one of those 3 things, and I recommend getting the engine checked out by a Mercruiser service facility. When I first bought mine, I kept wondering why every other boat had the initial start up alarm and mine didn't. Did some snooping around behind the dash and found the previous owner had disconnected the alarm. Not cool... When I reconnected it, the alarm went off consistently until I had the engine fixed... Turns out it was the gear lube reservoir sensor, which seems to be a common issue. Replaced the reservoir and sensor, and haven't had any troubles since!

ShabahZ250,

Thanks for your reply.

The alarm does not sound when the engine is running. It will sound if it stalls.

Shabah 198SE

Shabah 198SE 08-27-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 25429)
I don't know as one would call it a "Mariah alarm" or a "Mercury alarm." The sensors are all put there by MerCruiser, and the alarm module and wiring were put there by Mariah. So I guess it's a "Mariah/MerCruiser alarm" :)

Three things are monitored: Outdrive lube level, engine temperature and oil pressure. It's the latter that causes the alarm to sound when you first start the engine--until the oil pressure comes up.

The position of the shifter is inconsequential.

Be glad your alarm is working. It may save you some expensive damage, some day. Original owner of our boat, I assume, had disconnected ours.

Jim

SEMIJim,

Now that I know it is there, it is not as bad. It is also better with the top down.

Shabah 198SE

scubydo 08-28-2010 12:27 AM

I disabled mine, becasue they had the radio wired up to the ignition, and the only way to listen to the radio with the engine turned off was to listen to the alarm. I think I'm going to reconnect it and use one of the accessory switched for the radio power. My alarm doesn't have the 15 second delay, it comes on right with the key. Is there anyway to add a delay to it???? I would much rather have it hooked up, but can't stand the noise it makes... I would prefer some flashing lights on the dash to alert me of a problem.

SEMIJim 08-28-2010 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubydo (Post 25449)
I disabled mine, becasue they had the radio wired up to the ignition, and the only way to listen to the radio with the engine turned off was to listen to the alarm. I think I'm going to reconnect it and use one of the accessory switched for the radio power.

You mean you have the ignition switch in the "run" position, w/o the engine running, to listen to the radio? That's not a good thing to do. With some systems, you can toast your ignition by doing that.

Our radio runs with the switch in either the "run" or "acc" position--just as it is with an automobile.

Jim

Shabah 198SE 08-28-2010 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubydo (Post 25449)
I disabled mine, becasue they had the radio wired up to the ignition, and the only way to listen to the radio with the engine turned off was to listen to the alarm. I think I'm going to reconnect it and use one of the accessory switched for the radio power. My alarm doesn't have the 15 second delay, it comes on right with the key. Is there anyway to add a delay to it???? I would much rather have it hooked up, but can't stand the noise it makes... I would prefer some flashing lights on the dash to alert me of a problem.

scubydo,

Our radio is hooked into the accessory switch that is live when the ignition key is in the accessory and/or on position. This would solve your problem and also eliminate the possibility of accidentally leaving your radio on and draining your battery.

LIke you, my alarm sounds as soon as the key is turned to the on position. I don't mind having the alarm, but I would like to quiet it down a bit. Maybe I can put it in a box.

Shabah 198SE