Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Starboard side list, Could I be water logged?

Original Mariah Talk

Old 08-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #21

brettk is currently offline
My Year: 1994
My Model: Z241 Davanti
My Engine: 5.7 Bravo III
Gallery Images: 0

Send brettk:
a Private Message

Default Re: Starboard side list, Could I be water logged?

I believe there was foam on smaller boats, on models larger than 21' I remember reading on this forum they did not. I had also thought I read some place that when water gets in the sides, like through a hole in a cup holder it has no place to go. I'm sure you know your boat well, how it rides, feels, trailers, etc. Over the past year mine has been feeling slugish I guess. The same way it feels when you have too many people in the boat. I have pulled the transom drain plug and there is no water that comes out. If there is foam in the sides I would guess that it could hold some water as well. I don't hear it sloshing around or anything but it would be hard to hear while under way. I have my wife load the boat on the trailer so I don't get a chance to hear anything while loading and un-loading. I have asked her and she says she dosent "think" she hears any water sloshing around but she can't tell for sure. I feel my list has to be a weight thing because it does it just sitting there. Even putting it on the trailer I have to move all bodies to one side to get it level. I won't be able to get to the boat for another week, then I'm gonna start pulling out the ski locker floors and see what I find. It seems like the best place to start. I posting here to get my plan of attack in order, its nice to have the power of numbers to help with ideas.
  • Old 08-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #22

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

From the 94 Brochure:

"Mariah achieves it's solid quiet ride through the injection of polyurethane foam into all hull cavities and the secondary stringer system. In addition to the floatation benefits, this special foaming technique provides remarkable structural integrity, sound absorption, and thermal insulation."

I've never heard they did it on just up to the 21ft models. The foaming was part of their signature construction method on all boats up until the very end, so I'm assuming you might be misinformed.

One thing to check, my bilge has a smaller drain plug inside the hull that's inside the regular drain plug hole on the transom. I'll try and snap a pic to explain this better. Perhaps yours has become blocked. Just check the drainage compartments in all your storage bins, and make sure they're open and not blocked off.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Thank you ShabahZ280 for this useful post!
    brettk (08-28-2010)
    Old 08-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #23

brettk is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: Z241 Davanti
    My Engine: 5.7 Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 0

Send brettk:
    a Private Message

Thanks, I will check the storage areas. I know I read something about the foam thing but I can't find it now. I must have been mistaken. A pic of the drain thing would be great. Thanks for your help!