Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Hauling a 200 Shabah

Original Mariah Talk

Old 08-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #21

SEMIJim is currently offline
My Year: 1994
My Model: 182 Barchetta
My Engine: 4.3L Alpha 1 Gen. 2
Gallery Images: 0

Send SEMIJim:
a Private Message

Default Re: Hauling a 200 Shabah

You guys that are towing loads at or in excess of your tow vehicle's rated towing capacity are asking for trouble, IMHO. Towing capacity isn't so much about how much weight the tow vehicle can get moving, but how much weight it can handle without the tail wagging the dog and how much weight it can reasonably be expected to safely stop. Sure: If the terrain is relatively flat you can get the load up to speed and keep it there w/o destroying your transmission, but what if you have to pull a sudden avoidance maneuver? What if you have to panic-stop? Then you'll find out about towing load limits--the hard way.

You might find yourself in for a nasty surprise from your insurance company, as well.

Jim
  • Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #22

95gts is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: Shabah 182
    My Engine: 3.0L
    Gallery Images: 4

Send 95gts:
    a Private Message

Sorry, but the crown vic tows far better than my wifes jeep grand cherokee (which has a 5,000 tow rating). The crown vic has a longer wheelbase, full frame, bigger transmission cooler, a v8, steeper rear axle ratio, it weighs more (4,200lbs), and has larger brakes, all of which make it a better tow vehicle. The crown vic was actually listed as Trailer Boat Magazine 'tow vehicle of the year' in '93, which is before Ford dropped it's tow capacity rating to 2,000lbs (because they stopped offering tow packages on cars since they sold so few of them). It was a marketing/sales change, suvs sales were booming.

The "insurance company won't cover you in an accident" argument has been repeated on the internet before, but never with any examples. I meet all state laws regarding what I am towing.

Maybe I should go buy an F250 quad cab to tow my 3,200lb load a dozen times a year?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
    You guys that are towing loads at or in excess of your tow vehicle's rated towing capacity are asking for trouble, IMHO. Towing capacity isn't so much about how much weight the tow vehicle can get moving, but how much weight it can handle without the tail wagging the dog and how much weight it can reasonably be expected to safely stop. Sure: If the terrain is relatively flat you can get the load up to speed and keep it there w/o destroying your transmission, but what if you have to pull a sudden avoidance maneuver? What if you have to panic-stop? Then you'll find out about towing load limits--the hard way.

You might find yourself in for a nasty surprise from your insurance company, as well.

Jim
    Old 08-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #23

nglauer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shabah96 View Post
    Wow you are a brave guy speeding while hauling a boat. I was definitely taking my time.

Nglauer - I also have the 6 bolt 15 " (225 -75 -15) I picked up a spare with rim for $270
    Is that a matching wheel to what you already have? How do you mount it on the trailer?

I'm going to pick up a spare this week. A friend of mine works for a place called Polar Service Center, they sell alot of trailer parts and happen to carry a few different styles of wheels and tires. He has a Cooper 225-75-15 on a silver modular wheel (the one with the holes drilled in it). He priced me out at an excellent deal of $107.00 + tax. I can hardly buy the tire alone for that price. They stock every kind of light, bearings, axles.. anything you can think of for a trailer. I'm pretty sure he's giving me the wheel / tire for his cost... but if anyone was looking I bet he could set you up with a great deal.

I also priced one at Overtons. They have the chromed steel direction wheel like mine with a carlise tire, then they have the same tire mounted on the aluminum 5 spoke wheel. The aluminum looks much nicer and is actually cheaper? any idea why?
    Old 08-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #24

nglauer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

Has anyone seen one of these axle jacks in use:

Overton's® > Overton's Easy Lift Trailer Jack With Storage Bag

If it's a good product I might add it to my boating list for next summer. I also need to buy a lug wrench, I never even thought about that. I guess I should make an emergency kit with spare light bulbs, fuses, zip ties, flag, etc. Perhaps I will fabricate a water tight locking box at the tounge of the trailer. It'd make for a good step and a great place to keep emergency gear? Anyone have anything like this mounted on their trailer?

trailer tongue box - Google Product Search

I figure I'll have to fabricate one specific to my trailer due to the limitation in available area near the tongue... but man it'd make a handy step climbing into the bow.

Nick
    Old 08-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #25

simpleaz is currently offline
    Find me on the Map

Send simpleaz:
    a Private Message

It is a good idea to 'test' out your tools and supplies before heading out. I took the Apache Trail to Apache Lake in Arizona recently and didn't know I tore a sidewall until I launched the boat and another boater saw the bubbles coming out of the tire. The good news is I had made sure I could remove the spare and actually be able to use it.

The funny part is I checked it the day before I tore the sidewall. Talk about so glad as I was in the middle of no where. I tried to pop the trailer up on a rock to 'jack up the trailer" however I ended up using the Nissan jack. It worked well.

Best part was I found out about it while the boat was in the water so I could easily get to everything. If I didn't have an angle socket with the boat on the trailer, I would have been struggling to get the spare even off the stow mount.

I am thinking of adding the upright spare carrier to remove this worry. Also, laying flat the sidewalls get grooves in them from resting on the trailer. Discount Tire tells me no worry but I want the tire to work when I need it so the vertical mount is probably going on when I have some time.

In the end, a couple new tires, and back in biz.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg torntire.jpg (61.1 KB, 18 views)
    Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #26

CrnCnn is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z200 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7L merc/bravo 1

Send CrnCnn:
    a Private Message

I am concerned with this as well because I have a short wheel base SUV that really isnt designed to tow anything. I know of a guy in Florida who tows his boat with the same vehicle but there are no hill like what I will face here. I am sure we will be storing the boat at the lake during the "off season." Do we know what the tongue weight is on a 96 Z200 shabah? If I have to tow it I will have to buy a hitch is why I ask.

Only 13' long....