Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Ladder?

Original Mariah Talk

Old 07-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #1

42hut is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send 42hut:
a Private Message

Default Ladder?

Anybody ever make a ladder, or a step or 2, for getting in the bow while on the trailer? I find myself launching solo, while the kids wait, and can't hardly get in or out very easily. 93 Z2350
Any other ideas? A better plan for loading solo? With my smaller boat, it was no problem. I can't reach the eye while on board.
  • Old 07-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #2

il_Mio is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2008
    My Model: SX18
    My Engine: 3.0L TKS - Alpha I
    Gallery Images: 11

Send il_Mio:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Ladder?

When I had my trailer custom build, I requested to add a ladder at the front, as this is quite handy to get in and out whilst on the trailer.

Cheers,

Johan
    Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #3

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi 42hut, at my age, anything that makes life easier is a plus in my book, so here was my solution for our trailer....

It was pre-made by the trailer mfg for Cat trailers (dual hull boats). This was this particular shop's first time installing one for a mono hull. Looks odd, but works great!

WetWilly

Last edited by WetWilly; 07-28-2010 at 07:35 AM.
    Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #4

42hut is currently offline
    Gallery Images: 0

Send 42hut:
    a Private Message

Both good ideas and still good looking! Thanks a bunch, That'll get me started.
    I want to keep it clean and out of the way for the winch. Now, how do I load it solo??
    Old 07-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #5

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42hut View Post
    I want to keep it clean and out of the way for the winch. Now, how do I load it solo??
    Hi 42hut,

I should have used this pic instead, as you can see, the ladder frame is mounted in front of the winch and the steps are out to one side leaving the other side clear with plenty of room to access the winch, strap and bow eye. Just for reference, we both have same Mariahs just different years. (the "Z" 2350 was renamed to Z240 Talari from '94 on)

As for solo loading, I have done it several times and except for having to drive and winch myself, it's not much different than having a first mate. (My secrets are the side guide bunks and ladder

This how I load our Mariah whether there are two of us or I'm solo:

1) I position the trailer in the water so the the front of the lower bunks will just make contact with the hull (centers the bow) as I near the front bow support then I prep the winch and bow strap. (This would normally be the First Mates job)

2) Back on board, and depending on the water's depth, I raise the outdrive to either full up or trailer trim (trailer trim will not hurt if RPMs are kept to idle speeds and used for only short periods of time).

3) I finesse the gear shift between forward and neutral to keep the speed as slow as possible as I approach the trailer and right after the hull rides up over the lower bunks, I shut down the motor. (This is where the side bunks and ladder come in, the side bunks help to center and hold the hull over the trailer while the ladder gives me a visual reference where the bow stop is as I approach)

4) Now I go forward and down the ladder, connect the bow strap and take up just the slack and determine what to do in step #4. (Again, this would be the First Mates job)

5) Now at this point I may try to winch her all the way to the bow stop if I can, but there were times, due to the water level and launch ramp angle, the trailer had to be backed down a little further into the water to ease her fully onto the bunks.

6) I now verify the hull is centered and if all looks good, the bow is secured with the strap and safety chain (first Mate again) then it's time to haul her out after I raise the outdrive to trailer mode if it isn't already up.

If it seem like a lot, it really not and after a few time, it becomes routine so whether there are two of us or just me, once the trailer is in the water, it's never taken more than a few minutes to load our Mariah and pull away from the ramp.

WetWilly