Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Bilge pump question

Original Mariah Talk

Old 07-26-2010, 02:36 AM   #1

nglauer is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2001
My Model: 180 Diablo
My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one
Gallery Images: 0

Send nglauer:
a Private Message

Default Bilge pump question

I was curious, my 2001 Diablo's bilge wasn't working. I crawled under the dash and realized that I had a blown fuse (7.5amp). I replaced it with the closest size I had available (10amp). I'm just wondering if I should swap it down to the 7.5, or if the 10 will be fine? I'm not even sure if that is the correct size.

I'm also curious.. should the bilge on my boat have an automatic function? We had some really hard rains last two weeks and my boat took on some water (even though it was covered). I probably need to retreat my cover with some type of water repellent, although everything looked dry in the boat except the ski locker. Perhaps the water came through the holes for the poles? They had water inside them.

Any advise on treating the cover? I'd like to have it washed.. to bad it won't fit in a washing machine. Does anyone know how to clean one? I plan on taking it to have a few new straps put on it along with replacing a few of the clips. Perhaps the upholstery shop can treat it.

Thanks again,
Nicholas
  • Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #2

MAJIC is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1997 Z252 Shabah
    Gallery Images: 9

Send MAJIC:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Bilge pump question

I can't speak much to the fuse. I think going from 7.5 to 10 should be OK - but I'll leave that to the electrical experts in the forum. As for the automatic switch, you should absolutely have one, especially if you keep it in the water. I personally like the separate float switch over an all in one unit. That way I can maintain the switch separately.

As for the boat cover - I've just laid mine out on the ground and used a vinyl cleaner on it. I've also used a mixture of vinegar (white!) and water to kill any mold, mildew etc. After letting it dry, I've treated it with 3M Marine Vinyl Cleaner, Conditioner & Protector. I do all my vinyl cushions with this stuff once or twice a year!

Happy boating!
    Old 07-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #3

SEMIJim is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: 182 Barchetta
    My Engine: 4.3L Alpha 1 Gen. 2

Send SEMIJim:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nglauer View Post
    I was curious, my 2001 Diablo's bilge wasn't working. I crawled under the dash and realized that I had a blown fuse (7.5amp). I replaced it with the closest size I had available (10amp). I'm just wondering if I should swap it down to the 7.5, ...
    Yes. Definitely.

Btw: The fuse for the bilge pump on our '94 182 Barchetta is only 5A.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nglauer View Post
    I'm also curious.. should the bilge on my boat have an automatic function?
    Ours does.

Jim
    Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

SEMIJim,

I couldn't see any type of exterior float switch? Perhaps it was one internally? On your 94 how does the switch work? I flip mine on and it lights up and turns the bilge on (with or without water in the hull). I'm wondering if the PO had flipped the switch on accident and the pump ran dry until it got hot enough to blow the 7.5amp fuse? Does your bilge switch allow you to select an auto function? or does the bilge just do it on its own? The PO said he had never even turned on the bilge, never had a need because he had never had water get into the boat. They used the boat very little and it came off the trailer for a few hours and would go back onto the trailer. He told me he'd never even tied off to a dock before. I feel like i'm molesting this poor boat.. the carpet got dirty yesterday.. not bad... but enough the PO would have had a stroke. He had hook and loop rugs thrown throughout the boat. So I believe him when he said he'd never flipped the bilge on. The engine compartment looked like showroom new. And now I let rain water get into the hull. Poor boat probably hates me already

I might swap down to a 5 amp I have a few of those. Now I just need to find out what fuse does what under my dash. Mine are the push in colored stake type.

MAJIC,

Is your boat cover vinyl? Mine is a soft fuzzy cloth material. I guess it's a factory cover because the PO got it with the boat when he purchased it new in 2002. Someone mentioned trying to clean it at a carwash? I don't think the pressure from one of their sprayers would hurt it... but i'm not sure about using the carwash's soap/scrub brush. Plus i'm thinking it'll be heavier than heck once a go to pick it up. If I had a truck where I could throw it in the bed afterwards I might try that...

I even thought about running our upright hoover carpet cleaner on it. I figured I could just lay it flat on our driveway (concrete) and make a few passes with upholstery/carpet cleaner. I agree with the White Vinegar. My wife actually uses it to clean alot of stuff.. plus it neutralizes odors pretty well. I was also told to hit it with 3M scotchguard water repellent spray once its dry. I'm just wondering if an upholstery shop can apply it easier and for less money. I need to have a few straps and clips replaced anyways.

Thanks again,
    Nick
    Old 07-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send MAJIC:
    a Private Message

For the Bilge - on my 252 I have both a manual switch and an automatic switch off the pump. If you don't see a float (it should be right next to the pump) then it's either internal or it's not automatic. If you leave the manual switch on - the fuse should blow before the pump burns out, so going with a higher amperage could kill your pump.

Nick,

My covers are vinyl and are original equipment. If yours are fuzzy, then I think what you're saying would be best. I'd be leery of the car wash. I'd layout out in a driveway, get a pressure washer if you can, and hit with soap and water, without a real heavy pressure rinse. I'd be concerned about too much pressure. Scotch Guard works, but not for a long time, so you'd probably have to retreat twice a year especially if you leave the cover on exposed to the elements. But again, this is all a guess on my part.

Jon
    Old 07-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I went back out and looked at my boat, i'm guessing my bilge isn't automatic (however I would like it to be). Do they make an external float switch that can be added onto one like mine?

I will call the upholstery shop and see if they can recoat my cover. I think it's blocking water fairly well.. if not i'll just purchase a good tarp to throw over it. I've looked at some boat covers online... depending on how much a good tarp.. replacement straps and having mine coated perhaps it would be a better investment to just replace my cover? Any thoughts?
    Old 07-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send MAJIC:
    a Private Message

Most of the time you can hook up a remote float to make it automatic. You'll have to run a wire directly from the battery so that it's always "hot" and ready to go. You'll want to keep the wiring for the dash switch as well just in case! The float should have instructions and is pretty straight forward - even an amateur do-it-yourselfer like me!
    Old 07-27-2010, 01:44 AM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I am going to take a closer look at mine this week, if it isn't automatic I am going to order a float. I don't want to take any chances... i'd rather it pump on it's own when i'm not there... especially if it takes on rain water. I can imagine any water laying in the hull is a good thing.

Thanks again for your help. I will let you guys know what I find out. Hopefully I will be able to view the model number on my bilge and locate a float if necessary.

Nick