The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   big block engine pull (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4463-big-block-engine-pull.html)

z272 barchetta 07-12-2010 06:12 PM

big block engine pull

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on 2 topics. First of all, I am in the process of replacing my 2nd flywheel ring gear. The first one was due allegedly to water in the #7 cylinder creating back pressure and not letting the flywheel turn. The flywheel was replaced prior to the water problem being taken care of. (basically replacing or refurbishing the entire engine from the block up) Now the 2nd flywheel has been stripped by the starter. My mechanic surmises the flywheel was weakened by the hard starting before the water problem was corrected.(this part is true, it was grinding occasionally before starting).

My 2 questions are this:

1) does my mechanics deduction seem reasonable and/or what else could make me burn through 2 flywheel gear teeth in 2 years.

2) I am not overly mechanically enclined but I want to try to save some $$ on the engine pull it requires to replace the flywheel. Is there a step by step website or manual out there to guide me through it?

Thanks for your feed back. Oh, I have a 1995 Mariah Barchetta Z272 with a 502 Merc engine. Bravo 1 XR outdrive. It was a saltwater boat and now is used on an reservoir in Ohio. Obviously, the salt water created the water problem in the cylinder in the first place. Thanks again.

willrev 07-13-2010 01:24 AM

Re: big block engine pull

The reason we bought our Mariah was I was having the same trouble on a Sea Ray. Engine is being pulled right now for new ring gear. My problem was the starter was replaced twice. It used to make a ringing sound when starting that let you know the starter was tearing up the ring gear teeth. Went through two starters in four years. Either the starter was not aligned right or the salt water got to the ring gear down at the beach. But my guy is pulling the engine and replacing it for $300. Another mechanic quoted $600. Replace the oil pan while out and the plugs, but other than that, they should be good to go.

corko 05-09-2011 05:09 PM

Re: big block engine pull

Did you find your step by step manual for pulling your motor??? If so, where can I find one for my 1996 Talari?

Quote:

Originally Posted by z272 barchetta (Post 23778)
I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on 2 topics. First of all, I am in the process of replacing my 2nd flywheel ring gear. The first one was due allegedly to water in the #7 cylinder creating back pressure and not letting the flywheel turn. The flywheel was replaced prior to the water problem being taken care of. (basically replacing or refurbishing the entire engine from the block up) Now the 2nd flywheel has been stripped by the starter. My mechanic surmises the flywheel was weakened by the hard starting before the water problem was corrected.(this part is true, it was grinding occasionally before starting).

My 2 questions are this:

1) does my mechanics deduction seem reasonable and/or what else could make me burn through 2 flywheel gear teeth in 2 years.

2) I am not overly mechanically enclined but I want to try to save some $$ on the engine pull it requires to replace the flywheel. Is there a step by step website or manual out there to guide me through it?

Thanks for your feed back. Oh, I have a 1995 Mariah Barchetta Z272 with a 502 Merc engine. Bravo 1 XR outdrive. It was a saltwater boat and now is used on an reservoir in Ohio. Obviously, the salt water created the water problem in the cylinder in the first place. Thanks again.