The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Steering cable installation issues (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4364-steering-cable-installation-issues.html)

depman160 06-29-2010 07:29 PM

Steering cable installation issues

1 Attachment(s)
As I have read in many other threads, my steering cable needs replaced. The wheel is so hard to turn and all the other symptoms.

I had the marina's mechanic look at it and he agrees the cable is the problem......

but the real issue is how the hell to get the side moldings off the boat to be able to get in behind to get to the cable as it runs the length of the boat.

It's a 1992 2000Z with the 5.0 L Mercruiser Alpha 1.

Between myself and the mechanic, we can find no screws or any logical places that the side of the boat would come apart and from what we can tell, the steering cable, along with all the other wiring, is bunched together with zip ties, meaning the cable can't just be unhooked and pulled through on its own.

I attached a quick pic to give an idea of what the side molding looks like. There are a few access locations through a speaker hole or light, but seems like there has to be an easier way to get in behind the molded sides.

Please someone help me!

Thanks,
Patrick

IowaWing 06-30-2010 02:01 AM

Re: Steering cable installation issues

The upper side trims are held on with clips. The panels are pushed down from the top and held with friction clips attached to the boat shell. To remove the side panels you just have to push up on the panels to release the panel from the clips.
Let us know if that is correct for your Mariah.

depman160 06-30-2010 07:09 PM

Great! thanks! it worked and I can access the screws which hold the molded plastic side on.

Didn't unscrew it all yet, but looks like I should be able to move it enough to get to the steering cable behind it.

Now comes the big question.....anyone know what length steering cable I need to my boat?

I am hoping that I can find a part number or something on the cable when I remove it, but thought someone could help me out.

IowaWing 06-30-2010 07:37 PM

Good, glad I could help. You might have to remove the old cable so you can get an accurate measurement off of it.

depman160 06-30-2010 08:21 PM

Thanks again! Most likely I will measure the old one, and hopefully there will be something on the cable to give me an idea of what length it is.

depman160 07-06-2010 01:40 AM

Please help me!!!! I still need to know how to take my steering cable apart to be replaced!!!!
I spent more than an hour in 95 degree heat staring at it after loosening the big nut at the end of the cable by the motor.

I have no clue what i am doing, but am trying to save myself a ton of money to have someone else do it for me.

If i have to pay this site to access vital information and manuals, i will do it....but i have no idea if the manual i need is even available through this site.

Please help me, i am frustrated as hell about this and want to be able to do some things myself if i can!!!!

Thanks!!!!

mikeyt 07-06-2010 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depman160 (Post 23556)
Please help me!!!! I still need to know how to take my steering cable apart to be replaced!!!!
I spent more than an hour in 95 degree heat staring at it after loosening the big nut at the end of the cable by the motor.

I have no clue what i am doing, but am trying to save myself a ton of money to have someone else do it for me.

If i have to pay this site to access vital information and manuals, i will do it....but i have no idea if the manual i need is even available through this site.

Please help me, i am frustrated as hell about this and want to be able to do some things myself if i can!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Sent you a PM. Also, heres a link to Iboats Steering systems & Parts page.

depman160 07-07-2010 12:48 AM

mikeyt,
I was looking at teh link you send and read your PM....I think I see what needs done and the parts look similar....
hopefully the manual will help explain it better too!
Still not sure if I want to tackle the project myself.....I hope the kits come with detailed instructions, as it looks as if I have to remove the steering wheel as part of the project.
thanks for your help,
Patrick

ggrims 07-07-2010 12:56 AM

Hey there,, when IowaWing talked abot the upper panels did he/you mean the long panel up top or were it has Mariah on the two 2 foot one.. I have been dying to figure this out.. Thanks!!!!!

depman160 07-07-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggrims (Post 23607)
Hey there,, when IowaWing talked abot the upper panels did he/you mean the long panel up top or were it has Mariah on the two 2 foot one.. I have been dying to figure this out.. Thanks!!!!!

The long panel up top.....it came off very easily and revealed all the screws for the molded plastic side piece.

One problem though, I have to try and figure out if the bottom long piece goes on the same way, because just removing the top and the screws for the molded piece didn't allow me enough access in behind the molded side piece.

Not sure I need to get in there though, other that to help fish the cable through.....going to depend on how well the old cable comes out....