The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Stranded In Texas (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4349-stranded-texas.html)

Chuck 06-27-2010 04:14 PM

Stranded In Texas

I have a 96 Mariah Shabah Z212 that i have owned close to a year now and havent had a seconds problem with it until yesterday... While cruising across Lake Whitney at about 25mph the motor suddenly cut out for a brief moment... Not even long enough to lose momentum... shortly after we anchored up and set for an hour and then fired up to relocate a 100yds away with no problems... We again anchored up for another couple hours and upon leaving the boat started up just fine and idled for mayb 10 seconds and died and hasnt hit a lick sense... Without any real investigation other than removing the flame arrestor i know its getting fuel but doesnt seem to be trying to fire... Can anyone give me an idea of where to start???

Thanks
Chuck

Chuck 06-27-2010 04:17 PM

Re: Stranded In Texas

Oh by the way it has a 266hp 350 magnum engine...

Chuck

DougR 06-27-2010 04:50 PM

Silly Q but is the kill switch on or off?

Chuck 06-27-2010 05:12 PM

Just went and checked and its in run position... I couldnt get that lucky.. LOL

Thanks for the reply...

UPDATE!!!!!!

Got to thinking so i went out on a whim and turned it over after i had flipped the kill switch off on and from the earlier suggestion and it fired right up.... Yeah its great that it started but?????? Was the kill switch the problem or something else that has decided it wants to hide until im actually out on the water again???

The lake was really rough and maybe it jarred it into submission??? After experimenting with it i do notice that all you have to do to activate the kill switch is look at... So maybe???? Idunno i guess we shall see...

I would still appreciate any comments or suggestions...

Paul F 06-28-2010 12:46 AM

My 4.3 does the same thing after it's sat idle at the beach on the water for a hour or so. It's like everything goes does dead for a second.

It happened again yesterday.

It's done it for years, but it's still running good.

ggrims 07-02-2010 02:49 AM

Your Kill switch is a point in your ignition that can break the flow of electricity to your ignition. Most people never unclip the lanyard from it and after a while it can just corrode and break the contact for the electricity. Unclipping it and reclipping it can renew the contact. The best way to keep this from happening is to unclip the lanyard after every trip, this way the contacts stay clean or refreshed.

love2boat 07-07-2010 12:06 AM

Had a similar problem with my boat a couple years ago. The main wires that go into the power supply in the engine compartment had slipped out a 1/4" inch or so, with the boat bouncing it would break the circuit and die. The hose clamp had come loose and allowed the harness to come unplugged slightly. Make sure its pushed in tight.

nglauer 07-07-2010 03:41 AM

Silly question... but how does the lanyard clip onto the kill switch? I don't have one, but had one on my seadoo.

Paul F 07-08-2010 02:07 AM

If you have a 3000 (or is it 300) series control, there is a little black toggle at the base. You push it down, put the lanyard in place and snap back up in place. Down position shuts it down.

nglauer 07-08-2010 03:18 PM

Ahh ic, mine has the little kill switch (little red toggle), but I wasn't sure if a lanyard would work on mine.

Thanks,
Nicholas