The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Front Window not closing (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4084-front-window-not-closing.html)

jeffro788 05-18-2010 01:56 PM

Front Window not closing

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the front window so that it closes easier? Right now when I try to close it the frame on the window hits the frame on the windshield at the top. You have gently push up on the top of the windshield glass to get it to close. I really hate forcing the window to shut.

1stDave 05-18-2010 02:38 PM

Re: Front Window not closing

Sounds as if you need a slight adjustment.
Try loosening the support bars at the windscreen then have someone push up slightly, now retighten the screws.
That should do it.

ps. don't overtighten or you could strip the screws.

jeffro788 05-18-2010 04:42 PM

I wondered if that would help, it just looks like there is a lot of geometry involved. I may be blowing it out of proportion though. But I am afraid of damaging that glass from it being in a bind so I need to try something.

Phlorida 05-18-2010 07:16 PM

Dave is right, just loosen the screws and put it the way you want it and then tighten them up. This is fairly common and typically required every couple of years.

jeffro788 05-18-2010 08:00 PM

Thanks guys will give that a shot. I just hope I have enough slack to do that. Do I really have to worry much about damaging that glass?

mikeyt 05-18-2010 08:24 PM

nah, Phlorida and 1stDave are right, you should be okay as long as you are reasonably careful. I would stick a small spacer in the top & bottom of the framework so that the gaps are even & then tighten the support bars back up. If that adjustment doesn't quite work (but it should), you can also remove the rubber/foam trim strip & gain access to the windshield mounting screws. Loosen them a bit and there should be some slight movement in the window frame.

Phlorida 05-18-2010 08:26 PM

Jeffro -

All of the glass on my boat is encased in metal and the supports are screwed into the metal frame. The glass is all safety glass so no, you would have to work hard to break it. When i loosen the support screws on my boat there is a lot of play to do the proper adjustments.

Again, the proces that I use is to loosen the supprt screws, align the door, hold the glass so that there is a bit of a gap between the windshield frame and the door and then tighten all of the screws back. AS the previous poster (Dave?) indicated, you want to snug up the screws but now so tight that you strip them or snap them off.

You will be fine.

jeffro788 05-19-2010 12:49 PM

thanks guys, will give it a shot. :wink_thumbup: