The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Question on Smart Tabs versus Bennett Trim Tabs (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4024-question-smart-tabs-versus-bennett-trim-tabs.html)

Rob 8043 05-07-2010 05:25 PM

Question on Smart Tabs versus Bennett Trim Tabs

I have a 1997 202 Shabah, that has a porpoising problem. I have debated installing bennett trim tabs versus Smart Tabs and I can't decide. Based on price and ease of installation I would prefer to use the Smart Tabs, but I don't want to invest the $200 if I am ultimately going to have to switch to the Bennett Tabs to solve my problem.

If anyone has had a porpoising problem that has been solved by installing tabs I would appreciate your input, and I am also curious if anyone has actually installed the Smart Tabls on a 202 Shabah.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rob

Rdrdon 05-07-2010 06:40 PM

Re: Question on Smart Tabs versus Bennett Trim Tabs

I put the Smart Tabs on my 96 200 Shabah LTD, it solved my proposing & greatly improved my coming up on plane w/o the bow rise. Best thing I've done to it yet!

Rob 8043 05-07-2010 06:56 PM

thanks, did you encounter any problems or issues regarding the placement of the tabs? At first glance, it looks like the tabs might interfere with attaching the tie down straps from the rear of the hull to the trailer?

Rdrdon 05-07-2010 07:21 PM

Yes, I did. Mine are mounted just about as tight as you can get them and I may have problems down the road because of how I installed them, almost as far outboard as you can get, I'll post a photo later to show it.

rusty 05-09-2010 02:22 PM

I too am interested in trim tabs on my Z210.Would'nt the Bennetts interfere the same as the smart tabs?

Rdrdon 05-10-2010 02:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a photo from my phone:
* the orange strap isn't contacting the tab. The problem on mine is the vertical clearance, if something (a wave?) forces the tab up very far beyond horizontal, it will snap off the plastic clevis or mount. If I moved them far enough inboard to clear they wouldn't be very effective, or had I used the ST model they require less vertical clearance because the mount is adjustable.

z275st 05-12-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty (Post 21879)
I too am interested in trim tabs on my Z210.Would'nt the Bennetts interfere the same as the smart tabs?

Probably not because the Bennetts store in the" up" position unlike Smart-Tabs that stay down unless pressure is applied.
I put Bennetts on 2yr ago, they work well but take some time to get used to. My wife still has trouble with them. Smart-Tabs would set them self. But if you need to control side to side roll Bennetts are best. IMO

wplaine 05-14-2010 01:48 AM

My smart tabs stopped the porposing, up'ed top speed by about 3 mph and on a plane with a full tank of gas and thrre people to aobut 4 seconds. WAY pleased with them and I havent even tried any of the other adjustment holes. they were only about 110 bucks.

wplaine 05-14-2010 01:50 AM

Forgot to add I have the 215 Talari (21' cuddy w/5.7 L merc with b3 drive,lots of weight aft!

karmann 05-14-2010 07:47 PM

Hello
I put the smart tabs on my 95 barchetta 272 last year. I really didn't have a plane problem before, however it greatly improved preformance. I can go a lot slower and stay on plane.
hope this helps.