The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Speedo problem (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3633-speedo-problem.html)

embasun 01-15-2010 06:35 AM

Speedo problem

Can anyone help the Speedo has stopped working is there away to test it when the boat is out of the water thanks:confused:

jeffro788 01-15-2010 01:52 PM

Re: Speedo problem

I don't know if it is a good idea or not, but you can gently blow a little air into the pickup on the front of the lower unit. If it is not working your hose may be unplugged on the front of the unit. Mine wasn't working and that was the problem, the hose had been pulled off. There really isn't much to wrong in a speedo gauge I don't believe. I had one on an aluminum boat that i would blow into the pick up tube to test if it was working.

ShabahZ280 01-15-2010 02:40 PM

This is an incredibly common problem. The pickup is on the outdrive itself, it will clog from time to time with debris. Before you go trying to blow air in it, try and clean out the hole with a small nail or bent coat hanger first. This has been discussed, with diagrams on the forum many times before. Just do a quick search for "speedo" and you'll find everything you need. If it still doesn't work after cleaning, let us know and we'll try and walk you through the next steps.

jgreen 01-15-2010 11:29 PM

Hi Guys, I have always used pipe cleaners to clean out the pick up tube, I guess I just don't like to use too stiff a wire. Also, on my Bravo III drive, I unplugged the speedo tube from the drive and found the oring had dried and cracked over the years. Easy fix and only 30 cents!

embasun 01-16-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgreen (Post 19943)
Hi Guys, I have always used pipe cleaners to clean out the pick up tube, I guess I just don't like to use too stiff a wire. Also, on my Bravo III drive, I unplugged the speedo tube from the drive and found the oring had dried and cracked over the years. Easy fix and only 30 cents!

please could you help i have looked for the pipe and can't find it do you know where it is thanks:confused:

dudders 01-16-2010 01:09 PM

At the front bottom of your outdrive, its a tiny hole the size of a match stick, about 5" up from the bottom.

embasun 01-16-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudders (Post 19958)
At the front bottom of your outdrive, its a tiny hole the size of a match stick, about 5" up from the bottom.

Thanks i will have a look tomorrow

i will let u know if i find it

Chears:wink_thumbup:

Yough_Lake 01-19-2010 01:17 PM

I used to work on outboards alot. I found that the nylon string used for weedwackers is great for clearing the clogged lines for sump pumps - would work on the speedo too. If you have a roll you could potentially fish it from the speedo end back to the lower unit.

embasun 01-19-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yough_Lake (Post 19994)
I used to work on outboards alot. I found that the nylon string used for weedwackers is great for clearing the clogged lines for sump pumps - would work on the speedo too. If you have a roll you could potentially fish it from the speedo end back to the lower unit.

Chears:wink_thumbup: