The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   RE: Z308 Alert Buzzer Question? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3356-re-z308-alert-buzzer-question.html)

ahughes01 09-21-2009 04:27 PM

RE: Z308 Alert Buzzer Question?

Good morning fellow Mariah brethren! :)

Question: At the weekend I experienced the alert buzzer alerting me whilst all temp & pressures (T&P's) were good and the engine was running smooth. As the second owner of my Z308 I unfortunately to not have the original publications, and cannot determine what the issue is -Can anyone please help?

We woke Sat morning in Oak Harbor WA where we were visiting. After using the blower for 3-4min, I attempted to start the engine. As expected the alert buzzer sounded for 2-3sec, and then silenced as I starred the engine. After the engine settled and I began departure preparations, the alert buzzer restarted after approximately 1min. The buzzer would not cease, and embarrassingly I admit I disconnected the buzzer as all T&P's were good, and the engine was running smooth.

Approximately 5-10min later when at sea returning to our home port, I had my wife reconnect the alert buzzer, finding the alert buzzer had ceased the alert.

When the boat had been lifted onto dry dock back at port I connected fresh water coolant and restarted the engine to flush the block. When I restarted the engine the alert buzzer again sounded, forcing me to disconnect the buzzer as I flushed the engine.

The boat has only 70hrs on her, and this incessant alert buzzing has never occurred before - Has anyone any idea the cause?

Thanks for all your time considering this 'book' of a posting! :D

Thanks,
-Adrian

Mark 09-22-2009 12:19 AM

Re: Z308 Alert Buzzer Question?

Check the outdrive oil reservoir. Good luck:wink_thumbup:

WetWilly 09-22-2009 04:58 AM

Hi ahughes01,

Mark is correct, check that outdrive oil reservoir. There are three conditions that set the alarm off (1) over temp, (2) loss of or low oil pressure (this is the one that sounds the alarm before the motor starts) and (3) Low oil level in the outdrive oil reservoir.

The reservoir should be mounted to the top of the motor towards the front on either side.

WetWilly

ahughes01 09-22-2009 02:06 PM

Thank you Mark & WetWilly, I really appreciate your fast and concise answers! :wink_thumbup:

ShabahZ280 09-23-2009 02:01 AM

I'll add #4 to WetWilly's list. Drive Oil Reservoir Level Sensor could be bad. That happened to me earlier this year. It took my shop 3 separate diagnostic tests and 4 visits to figure it out. It was a $40 replacement part, but ended up costing over $550 in service visits and labor to get it fixed! And since you've got a 7.4L MPI and it's about the same age as mine, I'd definitely get it checked out. :wink_thumbup:

ahughes01 09-23-2009 02:13 PM

Good morning Chris.

Thanks for your pointer from your recent experience. Indeed the engine/drive manuals for the 454MPI list 3 core potential causes, but your additional is a good pointer to an potential issue which may save me $500+ of diagnosis - Many thanks! :wink_thumbup:

-Adrian
(2001, Z-308, 454MPI, 75hrs TT)