The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Starting Problem (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3235-starting-problem.html)

mark shumaker 08-24-2009 10:53 PM

Starting Problem

Friends....My 2001 252 Shabah has developed a starting problem. When I turn the key most of the time the starter turns very slowly. Initially I thought it was a bad battery problem, however, I tested the battery and it was good. I cleaned the terminals and checked the cables. I'm wondering if it is a starter problem, however, I had it replaced about 18 months ago when it got wet after the automatic bilge failed to operate. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

SEMIJim 08-25-2009 12:08 AM

Re: Starting Problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark shumaker (Post 17843)
Initially I thought it was a bad battery problem, however, I tested the battery and it was good.

How did you test the battery?

Jim

Provo 08-25-2009 02:58 AM

Did you check the cables at the slave solenoid? As well as the solenoid itself.

grommett 08-25-2009 07:43 PM

Hi Mark

My problem (see my post - seized engine) started with a sluggish starter motor but good battery. 10 days after last running my boat I decided to start it on the trailer before launching and it would hardly turn. I changed the starter motor and it turned a couple of times, made a horrible noise and stopped.

It turned out to be water in the cylinders had rusted the piston rings to the cylinders. It may be you have a completely different fault, but it might be worth removing the spark plugs and turning the engine over, if you get water coming out you might have leaky exhaust manifolds in which case changing them early could save you a lot of trouble.

mark shumaker 08-28-2009 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=SEMIJim;17848]How did you test the battery? Jim...I took the battery to Auto Zone and they placed it on a testing machine. I have no reason to believe that they were pulling my leg given that they had motivation to sell another battery.

mark shumaker 08-28-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grommett (Post 17856)
Hi Mark

My problem (see my post - seized engine) started with a sluggish starter motor but good battery. 10 days after last running my boat I decided to start it on the trailer before launching and it would hardly turn. I changed the starter motor and it turned a couple of times, made a horrible noise and stopped.

It turned out to be water in the cylinders had rusted the piston rings to the cylinders. It may be you have a completely different fault, but it might be worth removing the spark plugs and turning the engine over, if you get water coming out you might have leaky exhaust manifolds in which case changing them early could save you a lot of trouble.

That's scary. I might add that my boat stays on a hydrohoist and is never in the water more than 2 hours at one time.

WetWilly 08-29-2009 02:42 AM

Hi mark,

Did you replace it with a marine certified starter or one from an automotive store?

If it isn't the starter, it's probably the ground or the main power cable from the battery to the starter. Check the cable for internal corrosion (This happened to our old boat,the cable was so corroded, the wires broke free of the starter terminal lug) then check the engine block for a solid ground back to the battery.

WetWilly

mark shumaker 09-08-2009 11:03 PM

I'll definitely check the cables. Hopefully that's the problem.

Thanks