The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   2000 258 Shabah, cold starting (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3186-2000-258-shabah-cold-starting.html)

dvanluit 08-12-2009 12:46 PM

2000 258 Shabah, cold starting

I am looking for some help!

When I try to start my boat when it is cold, it takes about 5-10 minutes before it will turn over. When it has been started, there is no problem re-starting. Does anyone know if there is a time delay for the blower or something prior to starting or if there is a trick to start. I have tried everything.

Thanks

SEMIJim 08-12-2009 04:00 PM

Re: 2000 258 Shabah, cold starting

Have you tried going thru the starting system with a meter to try to figure out where is the problem?

Jim

pimpadelic 08-12-2009 05:12 PM

if it only does it when its cold i would think the choke is not working properly.

dvanluit 08-12-2009 07:07 PM

I havnt checked the starting system, I wondered if there is a relay of some type for the blower, almost like a glow plug. I wanted to check with other owners to see if they have this problem or knew something I didnt

Thanks for the help

SEMIJim 08-12-2009 07:25 PM

We need more info. When you write "about 5-10 minutes before it will turn over," do you mean, literally, the engine doesn't even crank? Or do you mean it cranks, but will not start?

I assumed, by "before it will turn over," you mean it wouldn't even crank.

I know of no "timer" integral with the ignition and blower circuits, but that doesn't preclude the possibility.

Assuming a gasoline engine: No, no "glow plugs."

Jim

dvanluit 08-12-2009 07:40 PM

I mean 5 minutes min. It wouldn't even turn over. I leave blower on with key off, tried with key on, nothing. I have even played with shut off swith, moving the shifter to make sure it is in neurtal.

ONly time it started right away was last time I took it out of the water, I drove from home to boat ramp with the blower on (approx 15 min trip) and it started on first turn of the key. Thats why I wondered if it had a blower timer of somekind

Thanks for the reply

SEMIJim 08-12-2009 10:08 PM

I don't know, guy. Our boat has no "startup delay" circuit interfaced with the bilge blower. (Ask me how I know :shakehead:) Never seen such a thing mentioned here, either.

I guess if you don't know enough about circuits, electricity and how these things work, you may have to pay somebody to check it out for you.

Jim

mfitz62 08-14-2009 01:28 AM

I have never heard of any time delay with a blower.

What do you mean by cold starting?
The boat has not been run for a few hours? days? or it is cold outside?

Is there ever a time when you can walk up to the boat and hit the key and it turns over? If not, it sounds like you have a short in your ignition switch.

Otherwise more information is needed.

WetWilly 08-15-2009 08:44 PM

Hi guys,

Mercruiser does have a starter delay system, but It is normally a part of the Keyless Ignition System. On boats with bilge blowers, entering the access code into the Keyless Ignition System automatically activates the blower, which operates on a three-minute timer then you can start the motor.

dvanluit, I know this sounds weird, but next time, turn on the blower for 3 - 5 minutes then see if the motor will start.

WetWilly