The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Question about stern / pole light (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3141-question-about-stern-pole-light.html)

1999Mariah 08-05-2009 01:13 AM

Question about stern / pole light

The light did not work when I bought the boat. I have since gotten the wiring diagram from MOC, and it says the "Pole Light" is the gray & blue wire. Well...when I look for the wires from the boat to connect to the light pole fixture, the boat has black / gray / blue + gray line wires. I can get an always on with the gray + black wire, but no other combination seems to work with the switch for nav lights...Can someone help me? :shakehead:

1999Mariah 08-12-2009 06:39 AM

Re: Question about stern / pole light

Okay...well does anyone know if the stern light mount should be a 'hot' (always on) setup? where whenever I plug the light pole in it lights up.

WetWilly 08-12-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999Mariah (Post 17624)
Okay...well does anyone know if the stern light mount should be a 'hot' (always on) setup? where whenever I plug the light pole in it lights up.

Hi 1999Mariah,

No, the stern light should only be hot when the Nav lights or just the Anchor light is switched on. Any other time, it should be off.

You will need to trace out the wires from the Lighting switch back to the Stern light. What you should have are two power wires running from the lighting switch back to the stern light and each pin contact and one ground connection to the pole itself. Is your Nav/Stern light switch a rotary or rocker style?

WetWilly

1999Mariah 08-12-2009 12:17 PM

Thanks for the reply ww. My friend and I were up until 3 am trying to figure it out, he's more electrically knowledgeable than I but we were unable to figure it out...

It's a rocker switch, it says NAV on the front toggle and Anchor on the rear toggle, and NAV illuminates the bow light and the gauge/button lights, Anchor does nothing. Is what you're saying is there should be 2 power wires + 1 ground to the pole mount? If so, I only see 2 wires coming from the pole mount, should we be grounding it elsewhere?

Also, on the NAV button, there is a black (ground?) and a gray (assuming the pole one) that come out on the top left of the bottom of the switch if viewed from the top (aerial) and the gray one was disconnected when we were experimenting, having the black + the gray plugged in caused a 7.5 amp to blow...:confused:

WetWilly 08-15-2009 09:03 PM

Hi 1999Mariah,

Well I guess we'll just have to figure this out one wire at a time so, can you post a picture of the back of the Nav/Anchor switch or tell me how many tabs it has and what color wires are currently connected to the switch and to which tabs?

WetWilly

1999Mariah 08-17-2009 09:27 PM

Thanks WW, I'm going to put this task off until the season is over though, I have a few things I have to tackle off season already, so I'll post back here when the time comes. :)