Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Boat won't start

Original Mariah Talk

Old 07-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #11

MAJIC is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Model: 1997 Z252 Shabah
Gallery Images: 9

Send MAJIC:
a Private Message

Default Re: Boat won't start

Sounds like all the obvious areas are covered. On my Shabah - it must be in neutral so move the shifter around some to make sure it is and the kill switch isn't enabled. The other kill switch - red button - MUST be out as that's an emergency cut-off switch off if contact is made.

I hope you get boating soon! These are great!
  • Old 07-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #12

pimpadelic is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1996 180 shabah 3.0L Alpha I Gen II
    Gallery Images: 7

Send pimpadelic:
    a Private Message

Wink Re: Boat won't start

it sounds like you just have a bad connection somewhere.

if when u turn the key it just clicks real fast then the battery has enough juice your just not getting it to the starter.

i had this problem on my shabah and all i had to do was wiggle the wires going from the batt. and wiggle the wires coming off of the starter and it would turn over. i would check all connections.

and i would get a better "boat guy"
    Old 07-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #13

kgoo is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 0

Send kgoo:
    a Private Message

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm guessing its a starter problem. Checked everything (boat in neutral, red button out and kill switch not engaged, checked connections as best we can). The sound seems like it's coming from under the dash, and it is just a sustained "beep". So, I'm putting in the call to a boat mechanic, because we also discovered that the trim only works to put the prop down and it won't come back up ... aargh!
    Old 07-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #14

SEMIJim is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: 182 Barchetta
    My Engine: 4.3L Alpha 1 Gen. 2

Send SEMIJim:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kgoo View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm guessing its a starter problem. Checked everything (boat in neutral, red button out and kill switch not engaged, checked connections as best we can).
    Starter problems are trivially easy to troubleshoot. They're trivially simple circuits This is just me, mind you, but I'd hesitate to pay a marine mechanic to address a starter problem.

Quote:
    The sound seems like it's coming from under the dash, and it is just a sustained "beep".
    That's your high-temp/low-oil/low-outdrive-fluid alarm. With the key in "run" and the engine not running, that'll sound anywhere from immediately to some 20 seconds later, depending on the year of your boat.

Quote:
    So, I'm putting in the call to a boat mechanic, because we also discovered that the trim only works to put the prop down and it won't come back up ... aargh!
    That's not so trivial. It's probably the trim limit sensor on the outdrive. If the trailering switch works but trim up doesn't, that's almost certainly what it is.

Jim
    Old 07-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #15

Find me on the Map

Send kgoo:
    a Private Message

Red face Re: Boat won't start

Thanks Jim! Given that I wouldn't know a circuit from a tree trunk, I think the marine mechanic investment is probably a good one for me. That said, I did just figure out how to raise the prop manually (because our neighbour put it all the way down, then couldn't get it back up, so I can't tow the boat to the mechanic ...). I'll become a boat person yet!
    Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #16

95Z212 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.0LX Alpha 1

Send 95Z212:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 94z190talari View Post
    Lanyards are usually attached to dead man's switches or "kill switches" on dangerous machinery, such as large industrial cutting/slicing machines, and also on vehicles, such as jet-skis or trains, so that if the operator suddenly becomes incapacitated, their fall will pull on the lanyard attached to their wrist, which will then pull the switch to immediately stop the machine or vehicle.
    Ya, ok
    My location
    Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #17

SEMIJim is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: 182 Barchetta
    My Engine: 4.3L Alpha 1 Gen. 2

Send SEMIJim:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 95Z212 View Post
    Ya, ok
    Pull the lanyard off its switch some time while you're under way and see what happens The engine will immediately die and the boat will come to a stop relatively quickly. (As opposed to what would happen were you thrown from the boat with no lanyard switch to kill the engine.)

Jim
    Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 AM   #18

Cliff_Haskins is currently offline

Send Cliff_Haskins:
    a Private Message

Please post the solution to your starting problems. At one time, a friend of mine and I put our heads together and came up with over 20 reasons why a boat wouldn't crank or crank but not fire. I think the mechanic was a good investment.
    Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #19

Find me on the Map

Send kgoo:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Solution to Boat won't start

Well, it's been a "fun" couple of weeks.

The starter was completely corroded -- this was a salt water boat -- so we got a new one; the batteries were shot, so we got new ones; paid for a major tune up and was told that, and I quote "the boat runs great".

Picked up the boat, loaded up the kids and the gear, pushed out from the ramp, and nothing. Boat won't start. Considered removing the plug and just sinking the damn thing.

Finally, after many tries, got the boat to start but it would not idle. Had to have it at half throttle just to keep the engine running. Sounded to me like a carburator problem that I had on my 1971 MGB. Wind picks up and slams boat into concrete pier ... blah blah blah.

Back to the boat mechanic. Owner isn't there, but wife says that they never even ran the stupid engine because there was no gas. Here's a thought, add some gas and add it to my bill (another $20 bucks on my $1600 bill really wouldn't have bothered me, especially when I told them to check everything because we don't know anything about boats, but I digress). The mechanic who actually worked on the boat told us that he thought maybe flushing the lines etc. caused some gunk to loosen and clog the carburator. We may not know boats, but we know engines, and both excuses did not impress us.

Anyway, it was the carburator (now replaced), and this time they took the boat out for a spin (at my insistence). Found another problem -- alternator was shot. Now that's been replaced so we should be good to go. Picking up the boat this afternoon. We'll see ... what else could possibly go wrong?!
    Old 08-07-2009, 02:49 AM   #20

kylakerat is currently offline
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z220 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4 Bravo III

Send kylakerat:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Solution to Boat won't start

Quote:
    Considered removing the plug and just sinking the damn thing.
    I think all boat owners feel this way at some point in time! When you get everything ironed out and have that first beautiful day on the water, then you'll forget all your troubles.

When I get to thinking about the boat payments, boat registration and taxes, trailer tags and taxes, insurance, tons of gas, wear and tear on my truck from towing, gimble bearings replaced... twice, u-joints replaced, new water circulating pump, new water intake pump, cleaning the carb (and shooting myself straight in the eye with carburetor cleaner), winterizing, and all the things that are yet to go wrong, I really wonder why I own a boat. But when I'm cruising on glassy water, tunes going, and the wind blowing, I feel like a boat is simply the best thing in the world to spend money on.

Hope you get everything going so you can actually enjoy the lake!