The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Had first issue today - any clues? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3004-had-first-issue-today-any-clues.html)

94z190talari 07-19-2009 12:56 AM

Had first issue today - any clues?

I took mine out today and drove it around for about an hour. Some at speed and some idling around the party cove to eyeball the better options on some of the boats. :D

So I decided to go to another part of the lake to check out the beach club and was idling around that marina when the heat alarm went off. Temps were over 175. :eek_animated: I tied off at the docks and waited a little while and finally called for a tow. As we were being towed out of the marina I checked the temps again and cranked it back up and idled for a while and they ran normal. :confused: So, I had the tow guy unhook us and just follow us back to the marina and it ran just like nothing happened.

Any ideas why it would do this? The outdrive oil was full and as far as I know the water pump was working fine (I know it was when I first cranked it this year because I hadn't hooked the hoses back up):punch_out:

By the way, I counted 5 vintage Mariahs while I was out. :)

SEMIJim 07-19-2009 03:11 AM

Re: Had first issue today - any clues?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94z190talari (Post 16808)
... was idling around that marina when the heat alarm went off. Temps were over 175. :eek_animated: I tied off at the docks and waited a little while and finally called for a tow. As we were being towed out of the marina I checked the temps again and cranked it back up and idled for a while and they ran normal. :confused: So, I had the tow guy unhook us and just follow us back to the marina and it ran just like nothing happened.

Any ideas why it would do this?

Weeds, a plastic bag, something else wrapped around the raw water intake on the outdrive? That would be my guess.

Jim

abillmann 07-20-2009 01:50 PM

I had the same issue -- relatively normal temps at idle, but quickly went north of 180 with any forward progress. Turned out to be a kink in the water inlet hose. Of course, that's a $14 part which takes 4 hours to replaces.

karmann 07-20-2009 04:08 PM

Hello
I had the same problem since I first purchased my boat, It was the water intake hose, and it was kinked shut, it seems someone had installed it wrong, and when you lifted it up to fit it in the recessed area it was closing off the flow.
It all seems to have worked out well though, I had the marine mech replace the gimbal bearing, bellows, trim sensors, ect. while he was working in that area.
Good luck..

94z190talari 07-20-2009 06:56 PM

Mine was a little different. I was running for about 2 hours before this happened. Some at speed and quite a bit of idling. So I drove about 20 minutes at speed over to the marina and while idling around there for about 15 minutes the alarm went off.

Didn't have anything in the intake as I jumped out of the boat and felt around it and found nothing. So, when it cooled down enough while being towed I cranked it and it worked fine all the way back to my marina slip. If it had something in the intake and it fell off before I reached down there to check I would have thought that as soon as I started it and it took in water the temps would have dropped to normal fairly quickly, but it stayed hot for about 30 minutes while waiting for the tow.

Oh, well it was scheduled to be pulled to change all lubricants and change the impeller plus a tune up so they should be ok when done.

abillmann 07-20-2009 07:04 PM

Maybe a failing (but not totally dead yet) thermostat?

Obviously, I'm guessing here. First and only time, I promise -- bad information is worse than no information.